1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update on Baylor situation - even worse than we thought

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Isabel

Isabel Member

The following is from an AP article that is appearing in Saturday's Houston Chronicle. A more detailed version appears in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. If this is true - and they seem to have the evidence - then this whole situation is even sicker than we ever thought possible. So much for Bliss's nice-guy reputation; here's a different picture of him.

Tapes reveal Bliss told players to lie about Dennehy
    Associated Press

WACO -- Baylor basketball coach Dave Bliss, who resigned last week, told players to lie to investigators and say slain teammate Patrick Dennehy paid his tuition by dealing drugs, according to conversations secretly recorded by an assistant coach and obtained by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

"I think the thing we want to do -- and you think about this -- if there's a way we can create the perception that Pat may have been a dealer. Even if we had to kind of make some things look a little better than they are, that can save us," Bliss told one player in a conversation taped by assistant coach Abar Rouse on July 30, 31 and Aug. 1, the newspaper reported in its online edition Friday night.

The tapes also show Bliss knew some players smoked mar1juana and that Baylor coaches lied when they denied knowledge that Harvey Thomas, the junior-college recruit who arrived in Waco in late spring, threatened Dennehy.

Rouse, who joined the Baylor coaching staff June 1, made the tapes available to the Star-Telegram on Friday before he met with an NCAA enforcement official and Baylor's investigative committee, the group set up last month after allegations of wrongdoing relating to Dennehy's tuition and other issues.

Bliss told the Star-Telegram on Friday that he has been trying to "share some of the stories that I had heard, and I was completely wrong in what I did."

"But the bizarre circumstances painted me into a corner and I chose the wrong way to react. As of last Friday (Aug. 8), however, those days are over and I have cooperated completely and will continue to do so because I know I have disappointed a lot of people," Bliss said.

Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Bliss by phone were unsuccessful Friday night.

Allegations of NCAA violations surfaced after the 6-foot-10 Dennehy, 21, disappeared in mid-June. His body was found July 25 near a rock quarry a few miles from campus.

Dennehy died from two gunshot wounds to the head, according to an autopsy report. He had no alcohol, opiates, amphetamines or barbiturates in his system, but his body was too decomposed to test for mar1juana, according to the autopsy report.

Carlton Dotson, who played basketball at Baylor last year, has been charged with Dennehy's murder and remains jailed in his home state of Maryland awaiting extradition to Texas.

Bliss met with the investigative committee for more than two hours Friday night at Baylor's law school.

In a statement Friday night, Baylor President Robert B. Sloan Jr. said he felt betrayed by Bliss' attempt "to suppress and conceal the truth."

Kirk Watson, counsel for the Baylor investigating committee, said committee members were stunned by what they heard on the tapes.

"These tapes are evidence of a desperate person trying to cover up his activities. It is shocking. But the good news is it failed," Watson told the Star-Telegram.

The investigation has turned up no evidence that Dennehy was involved in drug dealing or had any access to drug money, Baylor law professor Bill Underwood, head of the internal review committee, told The Dallas Morning News for a story in its online edition.

Underwood told the Morning News that Bliss wrote out scripts for assistant coaches and players to recite to try to convince investigators that Dennehy was a drug dealer.

Bliss resigned Aug. 8, saying he had been made aware of rules violations by the committee a day earlier. Sloan said the committee found that two players had received improper tuition payments and that Bliss admitted involvement.

Rouse told the Star-Telegram on Friday said he began making the secret recordings after Bliss told him that he would lose his job if he didn't help carry out the scheme. But he said he opposed portraying Dennehy in an inaccurate light.

Dennehy, who transferred to Baylor from the University of New Mexico last year, was no longer on scholarship. His father Patrick Dennehy Sr. has said he knew the Baylor coaching staff arranged to pay his son's tuition.

On the tapes, Bliss says the players could create the "perception" that Dennehy sold drugs to pay his tuition. He suggested that players tell investigators they saw Dennehy with a "tray" containing a variety of drugs and with a "roll" of $100 bills.

In the taped conversations, the two players acknowledged smoking mar1juana with Dennehy, but neither said they saw him use or sell harder drugs.

During the same conversation, Bliss said Dennehy couldn't refute anything because he was dead.

Dennehy's stepfather, Brian Brabazon, expressed outrage when learning of the tapes Friday.

"You know what? Somebody is going down, because that is bull talking like that, especially trying to besmirch my son's name when he is dead," Brabazon told the Star-Telegram.

The tapes do not indicate whether the players followed Bliss' advice.

Under NCAA rules, university staff members and athletes can be cited for unethical conduct for knowingly furnishing the NCAA or school officials with false or misleading information relating to possible infractions.

Tom Yeager, chairman of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, said the rule can be applied even in cases in which individuals ultimately tell the truth.

Under Texas law, making a false report to a peace officer is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Speaking to Rouse alone in one of the taped conversations, Bliss indicated that Thomas, the junior-college recruit, would be willing to lie about Dennehy's activities.

Bliss indicated that Thomas' loyalty stemmed from the fact that Baylor coaches publicly said they knew nothing about the player making threats against Dennehy when the matter was raised by Dennehy's friends and family.

"Harvey will do anything," Bliss told Rouse. "And the reason is because we did it for Harvey."

"... That's why we're in this jam; we stuck up for Harvey. I said there were no threats, and all these people got ticked at me."

Thomas has denied threatening Dennehy or Dotson and denied involvement in Dennehy's death.

2. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Bliss needs to spend some time in the pen.

Bottom Line

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i didn't wanna start a thread on this b/c i thought it might be somewhere else and i just missed it but i'm glad someone did.

when i was watching sportscenter and saw the comments i couldn't friggin believe it. and i thought bliss was screwed before.

this is a good instance of getting linda tripped. what a b*stard.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn. Baylor's going through some rough times.

5. mduke

mduke Member

What a phony.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hmmm come clean about our cheating and lose my job or trash a murdered basketball player to protect myself? Tough choice.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was reading this on ESPN last night and thinking to mysef : "This is so sick, I still can't believe it". I mean, how long did he think he was going to get away with this crap???

8. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

This guy is sick - he has been dirty his whole career. The problem was that the charges wouldn't stick at SMU & NM...

9. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I know Tom Stanton real well, the AD. This is terrible for his family who I am friends with. Tom has resigned out of disgust. He realized Bliss was a b*stard and now can't even look in the mirror because he hired him.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Mr. Stanton shouldn't feel too bad. He gave Bliss a chance to prove that his actions of the past were exactly that...in the past. Stanton should be disgusted and disappointed...but not in himself.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Dave Bliss is a piece of ****. He should never be allowed to coach again on any level. Even more, he deserves to spend some time behind bars.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Why is everyone acting so shocked?

College athletics is more corrupt than some of us allow ourselves to believe.

#12 DonnyMost, Aug 16, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2003
  13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Why is everyone shocked!? There's a difference between being corrupt and getting a recruiting edge, and covering up a death, possibly murder. This is more like organized crime and has nothing to do with athletics so much as a guy trying to keep his job. This could have easily have happened in a major marketing company considering the reason Bliss tried to cover up a possible murder to save his job.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Can it get any worse?

Bliss reportedly wanted to tape meeting with player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Having been caught on tape, former Baylor coach Dave Bliss reportedly tried to do the same to one of his ex-players Saturday.

Just hours after the story broke in which assistant coach Abar Rouse secretly taped Bliss trying to cover up rules infractions involving illegal tuition payments, Bliss approached one of the Baylor players involved in the conversations, a source told The Dallas Morning News.

"He wanted to talk to him about this and reportedly had a tape recorder with him," the source told the paper, which reported the story in its Sunday edition.

The Morning News said the incident was relayed to Baylor's internal investigative committee, which has been looking into allegations involving tuition payments with slain basketball player Patrick Dennehy.

The paper also reported that Bliss tried to talk with Harvey Thomas, a junior-college recruit who Dennehy's family claimed had threatened Dennehy. Bliss repeatedly knocked on Thomas' apartment door, said Thomas' fiancee, Sheena Devese, who shares the apartment. But the couple refused to answer.

Devese told the newspaper that her fiancee was not fully apprised of all the details involving the cover-up story. Thomas refused comment when approached by the newspaper.

The newspaper was unable to contact Bliss about the latest report.

Kirk Watson, outside counsel involved in the inquiry into the allegations, told the Morning News that the tapes implicating Bliss in the cover-up will be forwarded to the McLennan County district attorney's office. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, which heard the taped conversations, said police may seek criminal charges if the tapes show that Baylor officials or athletes were not truthful during questioning about Dennehy's disappearance.

Some of the tapes involve meetings held at Baylor's Ferrell Center that included Bliss, Rouse, other assistants and two players. Bliss told the Morning News on Friday that two players -- senior R.T. Guinn and junior Ellis Kidd Jr. -- were present at those meetings, in which Bliss attempted to paint Dennehy as a dealer who used drug money to pay for his tuition.

Ellis Kidd Sr. told the Morning News he talked with Baylor officials Friday night and that he and his son have been advised not to comment.

Guinn's father, Richard Guinn, said "We haven't done anything wrong. We aren't going to lie for anybody or cover up anything."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0816/1597646.html

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Man this whole mess just keeps getting weirder--only in Waco...

16. LeGrouper

I agree Donny, I saw more crap at my time at A&M than I could possibly relate in one afternoon. Everything from setting up organizations of girls that are basically harems for the athletes to giving athletes copies of exams before the exam was given. College Sports are so shady that I wouldn't put anything past them these days.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I love the way this guy Bliss is now telling nothing but the truth... as if he has a choice now after the tapes were brought forth by his assistant coach(aka the smoking gun)! Somehow, I don't think he would be wanting to tell the truth if the sham was still ongoing. That guy is messed up. How did he think these elaborate lies would not unfold at some point down the road if they were even believed to begin with? The truth always comes out in the end. He'll be lucky if he doesn't go to jail now.

18. LeGrouper

Kind of like Kobe eh? I am sure Kobe is saying this is the only time he has ever cheated....

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. After I saw this thread, I read a lot of articles about the whole thing and it is just so bizarre. One thing that seemed pretty clear to me from reading all these articles is that this Bliss guy is an unbelievable *******. It's just so bad for the family of the guy who got shot...sad.

20. LeGrouper

Great photo and post by the way smokey.