1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: N.Y. reports of Clemens signing with Astros are false

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BigSherv, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Sounds like it is not a doen deal yet!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...t_id=1479396&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

05/30/2006 5:25 PM ET
    Astros: Clemens not a done deal
    Purpura says club waiting for Rocket to make decision
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

• Astros: Clemens not a done deal

A report of a Rocket re-entry in Houston on Tuesday was news to the Astros.
    A Newsday report claiming seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens had signed a one-year deal with the Astros was shot down by Astros general manager Tim Purpura as well as Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. Clemens was not available for comment.

"Absolutely not true," Purpura said when asked to confirm the report that Clemens, 43, had signed a one-year deal with Houston. "There's nothing to it at this point. We had some discussions with his agents (Randy and Alan Hendricks) over the weekend but we're waiting for Roger to make a decision."

Newsday reported the contract is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month or approximately $10.5 million for the season, depending on when Clemens returns to action.

"I can assure you a deal has not been done," McLane said. "The Hendricks have said to us all the way through that 'the first decision is Roger has to tell them, and he'll tell us if he wants to come back.' They said that as late as last week. They have not gotten back to us. We're waiting on them."

In Arlington, Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he'd been told by Randy Hendricks that Clemens will not be signing with his team.

"We gave it our best shot," Hicks said. "I got a call from Randy Hendricks on Friday and he'd been asked by Roger to convey his thanks but he would not be pitching for the Rangers.

"I'm not sure where he's going. I was told we were not the only team that was getting that call. I was told the family played a large issue so I assume he'll be pitching for Houston."

Clemens, who turns 44 in August, helped the Astros reach the World Series last fall following a season in which the right-hander led the Major Leagues with a 1.87 ERA. The Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, forefeiting the right to re-sign him until May 1.

Since then Clemens, who lives in Houston, has indicated if he does return it would be for one of four teams: the Astros, Rangers, Red Sox or Yankees.

The Astros hope to lure Clemens back and are optimistic they will convince him to return for another season. Purpura said no timetable has been given but that he expects an answer soon.

"He knows we'd love to have him back, and I think our chances are as good as any if he does decide to play another year," Purpura said. "I think we'll know something soon one way or another."

McLane was in Temple, Texas and was also surprised at the report.

"I've been confident since January," McLane said. "We waited on them and they said they would get back to us. I talked to Tim about an hour and a half ago. We're very very optimtistic, but we knew that we have to wait to hear back from them. That has not happened yet."

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Sounds like it's down to Houston and Boston. Just glad he's not going to Texas, nothing against them or anything.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

why does Peter Gammons use "Sons of SamHorn"(A redsox fansite) as a source for all of his information. Gammons is in the Hall of Fame? And he gets his inside information from a fansite. :(

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Uh, all you losers are dodging the real issue here.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR CARLOS HERNANDEZ???

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Clemens will be back. Everyone has to deny this. I'm thinking it'll be done by Friday when the Astros come back to Minute Maid. Remember Casserly denying that he was resigning? Denying that he was going to take an NFL front office job?

6. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I agree. I think it's only a matter of time before he's an Astro. It's all media/public relations protocol at this point.

7. My Lund

My Lund Member

You dont think that it is worth it for a person that is arguably the best ever at what he does? It is a lot compared to what normal folks do but is it a lot in a line of work where bottomfeeders start off with about 100,000/year? Anybody want to share any thoughts on this?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3.5 million a month equtes to about $21,000,000 over a full season. Is Clemens worth it, of course not. The Astros have 109 games left. If Clemens signs and is ready to pitch in the next few days, he will get around 21 starts. The Astros will be paying around $14,000,000 for a player to appear in 21 games. More than likely around 11-12 of those games will be in Houston so it is not going to be a huge revenue generator.

If the Astros are in contention in September, it doesn't really matter who pitches (attendance wise). If they aren't in contention in September, Clemens will pack in a few more fans than they'd otherwise get, especially if he really, really announces his retirement.

That being said, the Astros need another starter at this point in the season. Clemens is clearly the best available. They are overpaying. They would have overpaid if he decided he wanted to play the full season. Sometimes you overpay, this is one of those times.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Chronicle is reporting that Drayton is on his way to Houston this morning after negotiating into last night with Clemens.

10. Buck Turgidson

Off-day tomorrow before the homestand, good day for a press conference.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with everything you just said...and i'll add:

1. i think this could have a nice psychological effect on the 'stros.

2. looking back, this decision of WHERE roger was gonna pitch was made a couple of years back when he signed the personal services agreement with the 'stros. i doubt very seriously roger seriously entertained pitching anywhere else after that. and THAT'S what the astros already knew...and it's exactly why they didn't offer up arbitration. i think it's entirely possible there was enough of an understanding in place that the astros and roger "agreed" that he wouldn't be offered arbitration so he wouldn't have to pitch a full season.

12. MadMax

your best guess for the date of his first start?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will take a crack at it, I would say around June 21st.

DD

14. MadMax

good date! my wedding anniversary!

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing against the Royals at home.

16. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

17. Buck Turgidson

Assuming he's ready to start w/in a week of signing, and assuming he'll get 3 warmup starts (2 Lex, 1 RR?); that puts him in Houston ~4 weeks after signing.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perfect... it looks like Koby is about ready to come back too!!

Another baseball executive, whose team has been involved in the Clemens discussions, told Stark on Tuesday that he believes Clemens could sign with the Astros in the next 48 hours. Among the reasons: Clemens' son, Koby, is about ready to come off the disabled list in the Astros' minor-league system, making it possible that Clemens could pitch to Koby in his tuneup starts, either in extended spring training or for one of the Astros' minor-league clubs.

A source who has talked to Clemens this month said Clemens spoke about that possibility and seemed intrigued by it. Father and son have been working out together recently as they both geared up for a return, the source told Stark.

Jayson Stark Article

19. Buck Turgidson

Per mlb.com, June 22 vs. the Twins. Guessing that means a June 17 start in RR, a June 12 starts in CC, and June 7 in Lex. Could get a road start for Lexington on June 2 if they want to get him going that early.

20. MadMax

$14 million.

Drayton's cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.