1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upcoming Vote on Obama's Treaty With Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Aug 8, 2015.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

After Obama vetoes the House and Senate rejection of his "deal" with Iran, will Congress be able to override the veto?

I believe the House will generate the 290 votes in the House of Representatives, considering the alliance of Congressional Republicans with Democrats with significant Jewish / Jewish allied populations. The 67 votes in the Senate is the big question mark.

Aside from the 54 GOP Senators (who will vote in a bloc), how many Democratic Senators will vote against it? Charles Schumer has said he will vote nay, but how many of the following fence sitters will defect (any others?):

Michael Bennett, CO
    Richard Blumenthal, CT
    Barbara Boxer, CA
    Diane Feinstein, CA
    Kirsten Gillibrand, NY
    Heidi Heitkamp, ND
    Joe Manchin, VA
    Robert Menendez, NJ
    Bill Nelson, FL
    Bernie Sanders, I-VT
    Jon Tester, MT.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know, but hopefully none. I think it would be better to prevent or delay Iran getting a nuke. I'm sorry that the GOP senators and Chuck Schumer disagree.

3. Major

Major Member

Your list seems outdated. Several of the people on it have already announced their support - Boxer, Feinstein, Sanders, Nelson, and Gillibrand, off the top of my head.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't really matter what happens with the vote, the damage has been done. Iran gets what they want and they'll likely have a nuke within the next few years. There's really nothing that congress can do to fix the debacle, we just have to start making preparations for dealing with Iran as a wealthy nuclear country.

5. Major

Major Member

The bigger question is whether the GOP can get to 60 to even get a disapproval resolution to Obama's desk. Looking at the list and adding Manchin to the "yes" vote, you've got 54 GOPs + Schumer, along with the following:

Michael Bennett, CO
    Richard Blumenthal, CT
    Heidi Heitkamp, ND
    Robert Menendez, NJ
    Jon Tester, MT.

The GOP would need a clean sweep of your list of undecideds to get to 60.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

One would think that sanity would prevail on stuff that really matters. I'd bet everyone knows the counts and the treaty will just barely be allowed by whatever means. Close enough that the GOP can still campaign that they are going to repeal it, like they did like Romneycare.

(can you repeal a treaty , ha?)

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let's trash this deal and go to war. That would show strong leadership. Yay for war!

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

False dichotomy!!! YAY!!!!

This being agreed to by congress or not being agreed to by congress changes nothing at all. Iran will be a nuclear country in the next couple of years (if it takes them that long) one way or the other. This vote is over if we are going to maximize Iran's earning potential in the years before they declare themselves a nuclear country with their first successful test.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You are probably correct. Our closet Muslim president has succeeded sowing the seeds of our country's destruction, thus carrying out the dreams of his father.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

:grin:

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It will pass but there will some posturing no votes

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you read what you post?

Are you serious, or was that a joke?

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More than half of Republicans think he's a Muslim, so this shouldn't be that shocking.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

:rolleyes: Link please????? Do we think he is a Muslim??? Absolutely not but he does seem to have a great disdain for our biggest ally in the Middle East, Israel. His actions in this regard speak volumes.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Netanyahu has pooped on this great nation. They are not deserving of our handouts.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/...t-of-Republicans-believe-Obama-is-6103803.php

I think he's just looking for what's best for the United State. I think many places Israel above the United State and some have said as much.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

FB, seriously, I have more respect for you than any other liberal on this forum but think about what you are posting. This deal makes it easier for them to get nukes. They get a huge 100 + billion windfall and if they comply with the treaty, and that is a big if, they can easily stonewall inspections long enough to move anything they do not want to be found. Personally, I highly doubt they comply at all. They are getting a nukes no matter what short of a war but giving them the huge cash infusion will speed things up rather than slow them down. They say they want to destroy the US and Israel. They are led by religious fanatics who think they can ensure the return of their Mahdi (sp??) if they create enough chaos. I know you are a Christian, like myself, even though we may have somewhat different interpretations of scripture. If you have any passion at all about your faith surely you can see that Iran will do what they say based on their faith in their god. Their god is not our God!

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Iran is????

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

http://www.christianpost.com/news/54-percent-of-republicans-believe-deep-down-obama-is-a-muslim-survey-finds-134791/

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's a matter of making it "easier" for them to get nukes, allegedly they are only a few months away from having enough to make one now. The issue is that this only makes things harder for them if they decide to go by the rules, and there's no real reason to believe they will choose to follow the rules.