1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unsung Hero Tonight: Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He's now made one for his career. He's made one out of fourteen attempts. Sad that his post up game is so weak that they are now trying to make him into a three point shooter.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

It opens up the driving lanes for our 1-2 punch players, Harden/Lin so they can drive and dish. It works specially since our post play is severely lacking.

3. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Dont forget Asik's solid defense and 19 rb

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He came into the summer league as a rookie shooting threes.

Your statement is a very ignorant assumption.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Id rather see him post up then launch 3s.

6. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah for most of the game we completely locked down Horford and turned J smoove into a perimeter shooter. Only when Asik and pat were off the floor did jsmith start to get hot. When those two are on the floor we may have a top five defensive front court.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

I feel like Patterson doesnt have the same athleticism from his rookie year. His rookie he had major ups and could dunk with authority. Now, he barely has any lift.

Am I the only that see this?

Anyways, they need to give him the ball more in the post. Rockets cant depend on Harden doing all the scoring.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Patterson was like "Shoot that long 2, you brick-laying fool", and Smith gladly obliged.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not assuming anything. He's never taken many threes, or been very good at it. He shot a few college threes his last year at Kentucky, but the Rockets have never ask him to shoot threes. We saw tonight that he was setting up beyond the arc waiting for the ball to come his way. McHale is having the Rockets spread the floor and Letting our guards drive the lane for layups or kick the ball out for a three point shot. If the Rockets had a player that had post up skills we would be utilizing that player down low on some plays. Looks like McHale has given up trying to use Patterson in the low post.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well when you have Lin and Harden, it is obvious why. Let the man score 45, dont fix what aint broken.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Mchale was telling Patterson and Morris to play the stretch 4 to give Harden and Lin more room to work in the paint. Way to hate on a guy for being coachable.:rolleyes:

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im just wondering how many of the top NBA defensive PF's in the league also are affective on offense as a true "stretch 4", but can also play the pick & pop game with the PG, & occasionally post up. Oh, and what about those intangible plays?..... Yes, absolutely the unsung hero tonight, and should be going forward. Good game Patrick.

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Not me, his post up game sucks. His very best quality is that he is a great mid range shooter, if he can do the same from that short corner 3 spot I say great.

It looks like we will have to wait for DMo to get in the rotation before we can start running post up plays with success.

14. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

That was a huge 3 from Patterson and that block was nice, I remember him shootin 3s and makin some in Rockets summer league a while back.. I know he's capable of knocking them down but probably wouldn't do it at a high percentage. Kind of like how Josh Smith can knock em down too but isn't great at it.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Asik isn't unsung.

16. PeppermintCandy

I only got to see a few highlight videos of this game, but even in those, I notice Patterson blocking out and clearing room down low so that teammates can go for rebounds or penetrate the paint.

He's just the type of lunch-pail player every team needs.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Patterson is great tonight, and I was thinking about creating the thread with the same title;)

According to pregame quotes from chronicle, he's actually not 100% yet. Both him and Lin seems to get their athleticism back on the defensive end.