1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unsung Hero: Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 10, 2012.

1. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

yes on occasions..and i agree that he will improve, but nevertheless it's still frustrating when I see Lin dumping sweet passes to him right below the rim and he bobbles it.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Chuck was horrible man. He had hands of stone. you're right though, when hayes missed, it was because it got blocked or shot got challenegd because of his height. When Omer misses, it's just straight up ugh. Other than that, excellent pickup by Morey

3. hotballa

Hence the unsung caveat. Not to mention, if the guy was a two way player, he'd have gotten a lot more than the contract he got from us.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I find him to be suprising nimble when attacking the rim. He's quicker than I would have thought. Almost always getting a good look at a layup. He does his job defensively. I do think eventually the better bigs will expose him a little. But I have been very happy. He hangs aroun the rim and makes himself available. I think tho', with the Harden and Lin driving the lane so easily, we could upgrade the position a little in terms of having an atheletic big to dump the ball off too. I'm not settled on Asik, but he's better than I thought after seeing him in game 1, much better, and we need him. The team needs him right now. I like the rotation of Asik, Alrich, and Smith. All have exceeded my expectations.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

What in God's name are you even talking or watching about?

Skills? Asik has offensive skills? No, he really doesn't. From what I've seen, he doesn't really have post moves, nor does he possess any ranged game. Seriously, Al Jefferson and Barganni, both good offensive centers with legitimate skills at that end, don't average twenty points a game and you expect Asik too? Asik will never average twenty, and anyone who thinks he will is an idiot. And we don't need him to, because I'd rather have a Tyson Chandler center than a Jefferson.

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

cmon he was easily at 14 points last night ...it doesn't require that stretch of imagination to see him scoring 3 baskets more...isn't it so?

He does have post moves however he needs to polish them and get use to using them routinely...that is not to shy away from using them... he needs to get used to playing offensive game...and he's just started...that's why it so exciting to anticipate what we well got out of him...in game 4 if i recall well he used q nice post move and finished with a nice little hook that got in an out...that looked pretty pretty good...i suspect he might develop his offensive game beyond our imagination...just give him some time

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

who coached Chuck Hayes on his Lay ups? maybe we need to send that coach to help Asik on his Dunks/Layups/Jumpshot/Hook/Freethrows/ANYTHING OFFENSIVE

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

He will probably develop an offensive game within a season or so, but for now when he actually catches the ball and isn't directly underneath the goal I worry he is going to get called for offensive fouls or traveling all the time because he is like a bulldozer. Still given our coach's preference to not rest starters that much, Asik will have to develop a post game sooner mainly because he will get the opportunities no one else seems to.

I love how well he defends enough that as long as he keeps pulling the rebounds and keeping others from scoring on us in the paint as aggressively as they used to when we didn't have a shot blocker or big man with size.

Asik is definitely the surprise steal of the summer and so far the most consistent of all the starters.

9. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I've watched every game this year and defensively Asik is a beast.
    I love watching him control the paint. He makes his presence felt down there. Just watch how many shots and drives he disrupts. It's a far cry from last year. Plus he secures boards.
    I think the rockets are like third in rebounding in the league so far. Mostly because of Asik.
    He also frustrated Marc Gasol into a horrible 3-12 from the field. Gasol had and is shooting .500 plus from the field and averaging about 18 a game and in my opinion is one the top three centers in the league.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I love Asik. Top 5 center in the league. Great job, Morey. Now someone please give us highlights of him in a Rox uniform.

11. sando

sando Member

Omer rules! Let's go Turkish!

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

defensively, yes. offensively, no. still needs work.

13. dantian

dantian Member

Asik is solid, could be better than Tyson Chandler with experience.

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

He is the Chuck Hayes of 2012-13

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Don't look now, but Asik is close to averaging a double-double through 7 games.

Its early and he needs to up his field goal percentages and cut down the turnovers, but I think he's on track to be the MIP.

Code:
    [B]Season  Age  GP  MPG   PPG  RPG   APG  BPG  TPG   FG%  FT%  TS%[/B] 
    10/11   24   82  12.1  2.8  3.7   0.4  0.7  0.8   55%  50%  56% 
    11/12   25   66  14.7  3.1  5.3   0.5  1.0  1.0   51%  46%  51% 
    12/13   26    7  32.3  9.9 13.0   1.0  1.1  3.6   42%  72%  49%

Biggest improvements:
    - rebounding rate
    - defending without fouling
    - FT shooting

16. hotballa

Its amazing. The 36min per stat is usually misleading when applied to guys who play less than 10 minutes a game because its not possible to sustain that kind of energy through 36 minutes. Yet Omer seems to have actually increased his numbers to prove the stat right. I had absolutely zero confidnce he could maintain that kind of pac over a real 36 minutez. Impresive

17. mirus

mirus Member

Wow
    Love his rebounding & ft.i hope his offensive skills will come over time

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Asik is honestly my favorite player on the Rockets right now.

He's a 7 footer with the potential to be as solid as Chuck Hayes defensively. Though I'm not sure if he'll ever have the basketball IQ Hayes has. I see the capability however, so here's to hoping.

He is one hell of a defensive/rebounding big man though. I really like his signing.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree completely. I want Smith to get the first shot. Morris has definitely earned minutes as well, and I think he could play both 3 or 4.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member