1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] The Terms of D-Mo's Offer Sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 3, 2016.

1. alethios

alethios Member

If we wanted Griffin, we'd be better off signing DMo and trading Ryno.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

DMO and his agent look like they drafted a contract to get out of Scientology...

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i don't know if they'll be able to trad Ryno and/or if they're willing to do it, just saying that maybe we should still consider the possibility.

I'd say no to Kyle at max but i just posted the best players who are probably going to get it ;)

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, BT. Reading it makes it seem a small reach to match. In any regard, the chance to be max players this summer are slim (and would require DM the GM's max efforts and successes) so player upside more related to trade market than FA.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've always been a DMo fan because he plays hard, within the team construct and offers capabilities no other player we have currently does. On what I've read here, I think the risk is worth signing him. While he's not a star, he offers gives us some extra size, a true post player for offense and position defense, and a willing and quick passer who could flourish in MDA system. Morey may chose not to and certainly has better intel on the situation, but from what I know, I'd do it. Cheers!

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I see no downside for 2 years at 8~9 a year
    that is the worse case senario . . . .with hims spending that time on IR or the bench

Rocket River

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So basically it's posting the same #'s as DMo in 86 of the last 130 or so regular season games.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Biggest problem I see is we can't trade him without consent this summer, besides that everything seems peachy.

I'm sure we could find a deal to trade him pretty easily though.

butterball likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

but we coulld next December correct?

BTW - Thank Bima!

Rocket River

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm pessimistic about stealing away any good free agents. CP3 and Griffin aren't going anywhere. Hayward might leave if Utah was a mess, but they're a good team and his wife is from there. So DMo's salary preventing us from offering a max salary isn't a big deal to me. Believe me, if Hayward wanted to come here I'd say goodbye to DMo in a second, in addition to whoever else we'd have to get rid of.

glenadyll likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The team is 13-7 while playing the most road games in the league and barely scratching the surface w/MDA. DMo is a perfect player for MDA's system. If we don't match, I'm thinking 1) Morey hasn't ceded any power to MDA like some have speculated, 2) we haven't learned anything at all from our recent failures to land a big fish, and 3) we're content to continue gambling away Harden's prime years.

butterball, Easy and heypartner like this.
  13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Great work Bima!

Finally a useful DMo thread.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Thanks, BimaThug. Much needed clarification on the 1st year cap hit whether or not we bail in 30ish days for 5 mil.

OK so I'm still for matching. Eats all of Nene's minutes, and indirectly Brewer's minutes. (Sam eating into Corey's minutes) Sorry Ne Nasty. Not sorry Brewer. But now Nene is the depth and insurance guy. D Mo is a hedge against Ryno and Nene's health concerns because he can back up both as a stretch PF or a stretch C. 7' stretch C who can knock down 3s. He will be one of these guys who thrives in a MDA system because he runs, he shoots 3s, and he works well in the pick n roll. 8th in the league in rim protection when he played C in lieu of Howard. I wish I had 14-15 roll man stats, but I remember that D-Mo was really good and high IQ on pick n roll. Bye bye offensive foul moving picks by Nene. Hello great pick setting and hard rolling.

People always hear post up and just think post up ISO. Then they hear MDA's post up quote out of context. Capt Hook is crafty around the rim. And he's a great passer / decision maker near the rim. I see him using his post moves in a PnR setting quickly, not the ol' Barkley back it up back it up.

I love Harrel but DMo is way more of a problem on both ends. A 7' who knows how to stay vertical in the paint and not pick up fouls is a problem. He can clogs paints. He was like Asik. Not going to see tons of blocks but tons of affected shots.

And with so many protections, if this hits then he is a freakin steal. It's not like you're losing boards with less Nene, Brewer Harrel minutes. Nene is sitting on a back to back. This is only the first of 4 laps of the season. Let's see how he's staying together come lap 3. Do it man. Bring back D-Mo.

butterball likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Honestly, discussions of free agency are not my cup of tea. I'd match. I think we are in complete agreement with that. After that, I hope DMo returns with a vengeance, we don't cut him, and leave the Summer discussions to Dreamcasters of the bbs.

I'm sure you are right about letting Nov 24th deadline pass is annoying to him, since the CBA prevents free agents signed after that date from being traded at the deadline. As for after the season, another CBA Rule takes over that provides matched RFA with veto power. This happens with any matched offer sheet per CBA rules. I'm sure Morey is fine with it, because his MO is to have RFAs bring him an offer sheet to match.

There is nothing in the offer sheet that was negotiated wrt not being traded. It's just CBA rules. So Morey blessed all that by asking him to get an offer sheet.

What's new to our discussions recently is finding out (from CBA Rules), DMo doesn't lose any salary for missed games. We all thought the salary would be prorated by games played. BimaThug now says that's not true until after Jan 10th. Varejao and Fegan did the same thing back in 2008. So, like with Varejao wanting to continue playing with Lebron, the longer you wait, the longer your have veto power the following year.

I see your point. But any deadline to waive is better than 2nd yr fully-guaranteed. That's the offer sheet I expected BJ to pull off. It's the offer sheet basketballholic expected BJ to pull of, too. He didn't. I'm sure Morey prefers a June 30th date. I'm willing to bet he didn't expect a vastly more flexible July 7th date (like yr 3 and 4 have). But I'm positive he's breathing a sigh of relief that at least he has until March 1st to waive the whole salary (for bust protection) vs fully-guaranteed no matter what.

So, where you call it "very tricky", my first thought was ... wow, 2nd year isn't fully guaranteed, giving us Bust protection. I'm sure that was Sean Marks of the Nets thought process, too.

BJ gets a C+ on the Contract (probably better than the QO) and B+ for holding out for the CBA Rules to kick in like Fegan did with Varejao.

As for calling BJ, Genius and Tricky? -- nah, Morey clearly wins on both DMo extremes ... He wins if DMo 2015 returns with a vengeance, and he wins if DMo busts (as that $8.3m salary is barely better than his original offer). Maybe BJ wins if some muddled, Question Mark DMo gets waived, yet still an improved contract as a 2017 UFA

#75 heypartner, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  16. kiwirocketsfan

Are we calling DMo a stretch 4 shooting a hair above 30% for his career??

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why? I think he is not. A perfect big for MDA's system along Harden would be a long and athletic big like Gobert that can roll with Harden an, rebound if Harden goes for it, and be a rim protector . DMO does everything OK but doesn't rebound the ball and defend well. It's OK to have him off the bench providing post plays but I don't think he is a good match with Harden.

Imagine we have him and Harden on the court at the same time, where is he going to be? He is probably too slow of a leaper to roll with Harden. He is not a good enough shooter to park on the side. The same goes for when Gordon is on the court.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

From what I understand, we could in the summer. Just need to have his consent.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no risk in signing DMO and seeing how he plays-- and if he sucks or gets hurt cutting him on Feb 28

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't shoot it like Anderson, but he's absolutely a stretch 4.