1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm glad this type of game happened when it did...Adjustments need to be made, and I'm confident there will be. You can't tell me the Cardinals and Saints are on two completely different worlds.

I think more than anything, I want consistency. I don't want to be teased with 4 sacks from the defense one gameand then the next game nothing but holes.

2. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Nope....thats it...fire Kubes......dismantle the team.....fire Rick Smith......release AJ and Mario and Schaub....the season is over.....no use even playing...they suck.....we are going 2-14......end of the world....get ready for another let down season..... :rolleyes:

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

good news is we'd be set to draft Mark Ingram :p

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The sad/funny thing thing is some posters actually believe this completely.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One thing that is lost in all this is that for his first game...Kareem did pretty good for a rookie.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Does the coaching staff impress you? Seriously, this team looks unprepared most of the time. Preseason, regular season, whatever, this "lacking intensity" thing is a habit. Plus some of the play calling, well, does uncreative ring a bell? Yes, if it was up to me, I would not have extended the Kube; I would have had a completely different staff working from the end of last season. I know, you are glad it is not up to me.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If they do not make the playoffs this season, Kubiak has no business being here, its hard to argue otherwise

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kubiak, just seems like a "nice" guy who doesn't come across with a great deal of authority or confidence. Those Bob Allen interviews on channel 13 are usually so whimpy. "Yeah, Bob, I'm disappointed too; I thought we would come out with more intensity, but we just couldn't seem to get it going......etc."
    And McNair extended him. I expect more of the same.

1 person likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

This. Whimpy is the right word. Turning his back for big field goal attempts, and he gets nervous with his play calling late in games. I just don't see how a player can get behind a guy that's so timid. I can't believe Bob extended him, we should have a new staff now. I hope Kubiak makes me eat my words.

10. PointForward

PointForward Member

Why don't you consider the fact that up until last season, he's had to deal with $#!t talent and unfortunate injuries. He's an offensive coach, and we've been top notch on offense when Schaub is on the field. Defense has been crap, but he can't be blamed for that. Despite all that, we were in a position to do great hadn't it been for freak unlucky turns (Kris & Chris Brown cost us like what? 5 games? we can go back one more season and I can tell you all about Mr. Rosencopter)

All in all, I think Kubiak is a good coach, excellent offensively. The D needs to step up, and we need to eliminate any possible source of CHOKE from this team. Chris is thankfully done, but Kris is still here. God help us.

11. PointForward

PointForward Member

This same guy called plays for the offense that was ranked 1st in passing yards and #4 in total offense. You can't discount what he's done for the team because of some silly cliched "oh he's not a great leader" reason. Him turning his back for the field goal didn't cause Kris to miss it, he probably knew deep down that Kris was gonna choke on a fat one and destroy the spirit of our team.

You can talk about a coach's personality and leadership all you want, but at the end of the day you're judged by what you produce on the field, and Kubiak has been impressive in what he's done (with the offense). It hasn't shown up in the W columns, but we were literally a couple of bounces away from going 11-5 and making the playoffs. Let's wait and see what goes on this season and then we can fairly judge the coaching.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thank you! I said that about Barwin last week, but I noticed it about everyone this week. Maybe it's because Kubiak could be harping about getting pass rush pressure on the qb, but I noticed almost every play, guys were 4 or 5 yards deep in the backfield. This is NOT how you play the defensive line. Maybe on passing plays you do, but that's not when they were deep in the backfield. Basically, like Raven said, on running plays, the offensive line would just direct these guys into the backfield, around the pocket. That's a sign of domination, specifically mental domination, and that's why draw plays will work so well against this team (once again, Raven...nice post). It's how they were designed to work.

As far as the game goes, I'm not reading into it too much. After practicing against the team all week, the Texans came out as if it were a glorified practice. They had no intensity at all. The Saints, on the other hand, came out hyped up and ready for a game. It's a difference that shows why, despite maybe having less talent than us (yes, I said it), they are the defending Super Bowl champions.

I am extremely proud and excited to be a Texans fan, because of all the talent we have. In a few years or so (probably won't be this year), once all this young talent gets it all together, this team is gonna be scary good. I already had very high hopes for this team this year because it seems like they're playing with a little bit of swagger, but yesterday just told me not to expect to see them in Dallas this year.

As far as the running backs situation goes, I would give Slaton the bulk of the first team carries against Dallas. I think he deserves it. He's shown some flash this preseason, and was pretty spectacular on kick returns. I think the Foster fumble might ease the mind of some fans (it did mine...anyone can fumble). If I'm Kubiak, I tell all of my backs that if they fumble, I'm going to the next guy on the depth chart, and you're gonna ride the pine until that guy fumbles, and my rotation comes back around to you. I say this because I feel like Slaton is easily the most talented, but the other two, in my opinion (Johnson and Foster) are close enough, that this wouldn't be a huge dropoff, but would be competition enough to possibly keep them from fumbling.

#212 Two Sandwiches, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm all about waiting on the season. i am discouraged that i continue to see the same things that have tripped us up for a while though.

but there are a whole host of teams that finished between 10-6 and 8-8. the difference is often negligible...and the fans can all point to a ball bouncing this way or that making the difference. ultimately, its pro sports and results oriented.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah, the guy who called those plays is now in Washington coaching with his dad. I do know that Kubes did have a hand in this play...

[​IMG]

And as for thinking the other do-do Brown stinks, Why is he still on the team? Because Kubes like him, which is even more troubling.

"Let's just wait and see" seems like the story of the Texans fan base for the lat 5 years of this Bull**** regime.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

look, that was a bad play call but it didnt have to end up like it did either. He should have never thrown the ball...or at the least thrown it out of bounds.

About the game. It was ugly. I think the texans' defense was playing for the pass early on and kept getting caught off guard by the run. I have no idea why they forgot to tackle all of a sudden. I'm also not sure is chase is a great get or if texans were just that bad. He did seem to put the ball in the right place at the right time.

On the one hand the defense looked pathetic. On the other, the saints make most defenses look pathetic. Still, just not a good showing from them at the end of the day.

Good points on the delay run. I do think that will be a area to work on for the defense, but the saints are also a damn good offense so they've seen it from one of the best (saints O-line works well together).

First offensive series was a 3 and out but hell, it happens. After that, Texans seemed to move the ball pretty well for the most part.

Hanging onto the ball still seems to be an issue. Foster got careless on that one play while trying to do too much. Trindon is done.

Didnt watch the second half so not sure what 2nd & 3rd stringers did.
    Looks like Nolan was all over the place with 5 tackles. Surprised to see Sharpton with only 1.

I did like what I saw from Kareem though. Saints attacked him on that stop and go route and kareem didnt bite at all. great coverage. So far so good for him.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are correct. I cannot argue too much against any of it.
    I think Kubes is learning too . . I think THIS is his make or break season

It is an extremely hard schedule
    but anything less than 9-7 is intolerable.
    I have felt that Kubes cost the Texans at least 2 games a season
    with his coaching
    but
    he was a new head coach

Rocket River

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I recall pointing this out last year as well. I was told that I was being "too negative". It's like deja vu all over again. On offense, I still see no running game and I'm curious to see what would happen if an opposing team commits all out to stopping the pass by the Texans. The NFL Network had the Saints' announcers and they were constantly asking why the Saints were bothering to respect the play action pass from the Texans for this very reason.

The defense, though, is another story. They were completely manhandled by the Saints' 2nd team and no amount of spin is going to cover that up. They were in NO 3 days last week so they couldn't have been tired (Eric Winston needs to STFU). Okoye is looking more like Bobby Carpenter every day (bust). Mario Williams's picture was on a milk carton and the linebackers were roasted to a nice golden brown. I know it was just a preseason game but they (Texans) looked abysmal out there and that is completely unacceptable in my book.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't agree with the no running game argument. When Foster is in, they run just fine. He only had 6 carries, but averaged nearly 5 ypc and scored a TD.

Completely with you on Okoye, in particular. He needs to show something AND FAST. Guys on Sports Sunday last night were talking about him being cut if he didn't bring something more to the table. The problem is...there's not enough depth on the team to justify cutting him.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't think okoye is near bad enough to be cut.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

They'll never cut Okoye while Kubes and Smith are still here. It would be the admission of failure (Which he almost assuredly is)