1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Texans' off season thread for 2014.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 9, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because the best way to rebuild is to do it with has beens?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who said he's a has been? Still think he has a solid 3 yrs left in him and is a legit NT in the 3-4

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vince Wilfork is still with the Patriots.

{But this ain't the thread for speculation ;-)}

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Lance just said he expects the Texans to sign Dexter McCluster.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

THAT is a smart signing. Jack of all trades (PR, KR, RB, slot WR). Prime years left.

I hope it happens.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A 32 year old coming off an Achilles is always a risky proposition.

Best case scenario, he does have those 3-4 years left. But it's a dice-roll for sure.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Agreed. They can get rid of Martin at slot then.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> might've had interest in Dexter McCluster as <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein">@LanceZierlein</a> said, but I'm told he won't be coming. Sorry to crush your hopes, dreams</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/statuses/443373136311255040">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Texans and their fans need to stop looking to reload. They need to rebuild.

10. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

This team is not as close to a quick turnaround as the Chiefs, but they also as not as far away as the Jags, Raiders, etc.

Not a complete rebuild.
    Not a quick reload.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Care to elaborate?

The centerpieces of the team, outside of QB, are pretty solid to passable.

Just because you need an RT, DE, and QB (most of whom you already have heir-apparents for) doesn't mean you're "rebuilding". Nor does it mean you should shut yourself off to adding skill talent when it suits you.

That's a pretty average, to even below average, list of needs by NFL standards.

The vast majority of the players on this team won 10, 12, and 2 games respectively the last 3 seasons. I'm not ready to blow up the core roster because of one bad season (2013) anymore than I was ready to declare the roster untouchable after one great season (2012).

After all, this is the NFL. Worst to first is the norm, not the exception. And thank god for that.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

She doesn't know. None of those jabronies you hear on 610 know anything.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The female pancakes.

Imma call her waffles.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

The only center piece on this team IMHO is JJ Watt. Everyone else is declining in talent or not worth keeping becuase of their price tag.

The Texans need to restructure the foundation and "cut out the fat". Yes there are talented players but those players like Meyers, Daniels and even Duane Brown to an extent are just not conducive to constructing a championship team with a large window.

With all this talk of worst to first people should remember that those teams were resurrected by the draft. The Seahawks completely dismantled their previous team and build though the draft to get where they are. The Pats basically do to same thing outside of Brady. It's about having confidence in your drafting skills even though the Pats haven't been good at that they can attract FA with their HOF Coach and QB.

I'll take another losing season for a 5 year window in 2015. Most people here seem to be impatient. This team didn't become the worst in the NFL by chance or accident.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A top 5 LT is not conducive to constructing a championship team with a large window?

Bro, what the f*** are you smoking over there?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

You really think Brown had a top 5 LT year last season? He was above average at best.

If you think plugging holes on this team will get this team anywhere near the AFC championship you are in for heartbreak Donny. Just like most of the years you have optimism for this team. You refuse to see come down to earth.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

JJ Watt had a down year too. Do you think he's not a top 5 DE now?

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Despite an off year, Brown should still be considered elite.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

JJ didn't have a down year. He had one of the greatest if not greatest years for a defensive player the year before so that might skew your expectations. You have got to be ****ing my dude. Stop getting so emotionally attracted to this **** team. This won't be a quick fix.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Defensive much?

You're having trouble justifying your point of view, and I get that's frustrating, but chill out. Breathe.

I see plenty of talent on this roster. If BOB can plug in a half-way competent QB, we will be a wildcard threat.

Sorry that idea pisses you off so much.