1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Texans' off season thread for 2014.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The longer Foster is around, the less I like him. He seems to be going out of his way to find distractions.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

re: Andre Johnson:

Ted Johnson: There is something there. To me, my guess is...for Andre not to be here with a new coaching staff and fresh start, there's something there. What that is? I don't know. His absence is a red flag. I could sit here and speculate but I don't know. To say he wants to train somewhere else this year? I don't buy it.

Patriots didn't care about your star status, if you were from there, married there, whatever...Bill O'Brien has to make tough decisions and that's my guess that's the way he's gonna do things around here.

Travis Johnson said he was asking for a new deal last year and was denied.

{Also according to Travis} Not upset. Just deciding not to workout in Houston.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Since that other thread got locked...

KHOU:

Andre Johnson is working out "harder than ever" according to teammates and workout buddies who see him in the gym on a regular basis. Andre's future with the Texans was being discussed a lot at Wade Smith's charity flag football tournament. Andre is working out daily at Abdul Foster's new training facility. Abdul is Arian's brother and he works out Andre every day and even though it's just his opinion, he believes Andre is ready to get back on the field with the Texans.

"I think the guy deserves a ton of credit for what he's done in this league, what he's done in his career, what he's done in the community, what he's done for the city. I love it. I love him. In my honest opinion, I kinda just think he's ready to come back and do his thing, honestly man.

Wade Smith his knee is healthy and plans on playing in 2014. He'd like to come back with the Texans.

"Definitely. There are teams interested. I don't know if I'll be with Houston. I'd like that but things have to be worked out on the business end. I feel good. My body feels good, I'm healthy. I'm looking forward towards another opportunity to play ball."

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . . we won't be 'patriots south'
    Because it does not sound like Fitzpatrick can run a 'brady offense'
    Brady does go down field a bit. He threads a few needles.

Since we cannot rely on Fitzpatrick to do that . . ..
    what are we on offense. . . . 3 yrds and a cloud of dust
    Heavy reliance on Arian and the backs?
    Dink and Dump down the field?

Hoping out Defense can keep everyone under 17 pts a game?

Unless we picking up some more players. . . impact players

What is our offense looking like for 2014-15

Rocket River

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We'll hopefully we'll have Arian Foster back at full strength so we'll have a running game, we are set to have the best O line we've had in years, Nuk should build on his really good rookie season and be a sure-handed target, Andre probably has a down year because of his foolishness in the off-season but he's still Andre, our TE corps is looking fairly solid both as passing targets and as blockers. If we play safe and avoid turnovers, we should have a fairly good offense.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We will have a balance attack and it will be explosive Mr. River. BOB will be able to get the best out of Fitzpatrick.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man cut the personal attacks on Andre. We heard you loud and clear man , you are disgusted with the man for looking out for his best interest.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I think a dominant defense is what "should" be expected. That was the reason for drafting Clowney to put him with J.J. to torment quarterbacks. Clowney was touted as the best defensive prospects in the past 25 years and was considered a can't miss prospect. So the defense should be great... Right...???

I'm not expecting O'Brien to turn Fitzpatrick from a pumpkin to a prince. There's no one in the receiver core that can take the roof off the defense and stretch the field (just a bunch of possession receives) and the less he throws the better so a run heavy offense is what should be expected. Foster is the only playmaker on this team that knows how to get into the end zone so the more he touches the ball the better.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Calm down guy, I'm not "attacking" Andre for "looking out for his best interest", I'm just pointing out that players who skip significant portions of camp usually have poor seasons as a result. Having a poor season is generally regarded as not in the best interest of a FA to be, but you guys got the Andre thread locked the last time this topic came up so let's just skip it.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I imagine a lot of 2 TE sets and a lot of passes to the slot and RB. I don't think the coaching staff planned on using the regular WR positions as much as they have in the past.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Interesting that Wade Smith and Eric Winston are still free agents.

12. Remii

Remii Member

We don't have Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez on the roster and our WR core is MUCH stronger than our TE core. I can't imagine O'Brien would ignore two first round drafted WR's in AJ and Nuk (and Posey was considered 1st round talent before his suspension in college) for a group of suspect tight ends.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well neither of them are any good at this point in their careers, I think Wade Smith will find a backup job somewhere but Winston could be done.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Interesting? How about unsurprising?

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

um...he was CALLED to testify. He didn't go looking to testify. WOW....get over yourself.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And why did that happen? Because he spoke out about how he was receiving money to play in college. He ran his mouth and invited that distraction rather than focusing on his pro career.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're reaching. The correct response is "you're right, my mistake".

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How is that a reach? Would he have been called to testify if he didn't go out of his way to get involved in the situation by telling reporters that he got paid in college? It was a hot topic at the time and he inserted himself into it. I'm not saying we take him out back and beat the crap out of him for it, but it's not the first time he's invited distraction.

He should be focusing on things that get him back on the field playing well again rather than getting involved in scandals. I get that he's opinionated and all of that, but he needs to put a muzzle on it before it hurts his career. NFL careers are too short as it is so he'll have plenty of time to rail on the injustices of the world or whatever else he wants to get involved with once that time is over.

IMO it's very impressive to have a philosophy major as a star player, it shows that he is more than capable of intellectual thought, unfortunately when he allows all of those awesome thoughts to continue falling out of his mouth, it invites distraction.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude I'm chilling just laughing at how personal you have been towards Andre. No sir I wasn't the one that got that thread locked. Please go back and see it was you and another member who were responsible for that sir.

Those camps are not mandatory even though we are learning a new system. But I am confident AJ will learn this new system quick. You watched this man operate for 12 seasons and should be confident as well.

As far as injuries are concerned every player at high risk playing this very physical sport. A player could attend every practice and still sustain an injury Bobbythegreat.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well in fairness I did say "but he's still Andre", meaning that there's always a chance that he pulls off a good season anyway. Right now he's skipping mandatory camps as well as optional camps and we don't know how much more he might decide to skip out on. Players who skip out on too much in the pre-season almost always suffer in terms of conditioning and that leads to an increase in injuries. He's already been plagued with hamstring injuries in the last few years so I think the chance that it continues is pretty high.

That said, I'm hoping for the best and even in a down year he could hopefully provide 1000 receiving yards which was part of my argument saying that our offense would be alright.