1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University Of Toronto Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Reduced After Voyeurism Reports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Transgender people are trying to live their life, too bad they're being used as pawns in "religious freedom" debates that seem to accomplish a lot of Republican governing points through force, fiat, and irrational animus and too bad their life involves a 10% chance of being beaten the hell up for trying to go to a bathroom. And too bad fears like yours are being used for political ends not only to oppress LGBT, but also to weaken discrimination protection across the board.

And America isn't a democracy, it is a republic. As I'm sure everybody will have to painfully debate when this spate of contradictory laws finds itself on the docket at the Supreme again, someday.

^And the people who pushed those overreaching laws in the first place will have nobody to blame but themselves.

#81 Northside Storm, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Transgender people are a micro percentage of the population.

It would be easier to buy them all colostomy bags and adult diapers for them to piss and schit in so they don't have to even go into a damn bathroom. That's a better solution than letting men into women's bathrooms.

3. Northside Storm

Yeah, too bad legislatures didn't get the memo and tried to reduce discrimination protections for biological sex and race as a result of the micro percentage.

I'm sure Ginsburg is f**kinnnnngg stoked.

Already in federal appeals court.

https://www.aclu.org/news/federal-a...se-protect-transgender-student-under-title-ix

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yet you are fine with men entering the restroom no? You never did reply to my post.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10416574&postcount=35

It's also hilarious that the OP is about unisex restrooms and you keep spitting out this point.

5. Northside Storm

bigtexxx's sexual mores have always struck me as being from the 18th century.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I never made a religious freedom argument, or advocated the use of aggressive force (indeed I'm advocating the exact opposite). Neither of those hold a lot of weight with me.

And too bad fears like yours are being used to advocate violence.

7. Northside Storm

Don't let your common fears with those movements stop you from calling out the irrational dilution of fundamental rights for Americans and the condemnation of violence for one's own identity.

--

--Curious to hear your take on my fear: my fear that Justice Kennedy will potentially displace Justice Ginsburg on a majority opinion, thereby depriving the world of a scathing take on state legislatures trying to strip down sex protections her career was based on due to the 0 incidents trans people have caused in bathrooms?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's actually a huge and cumbersome problem for HR people if businesses adopts this. It's not even the question of redesigning restrooms.

Blanket insurance policies and its coverage, marriage benefits, sexual harassment, etc...

I think the argument provides a twisted dichotomy of classifying race...where bathrooms were generally designed for gender physiology. The plaintiffs want gender classified by the mental physiology, but are blind to the concept that mens and women's bathrooms are already segregated in the first place.

Private unisex bathrooms for everyone are a bit too expensive to overhaul.

9. Northside Storm

The school imposed the same on plaintiff despite his objections, and despite him using the men's bathroom, different from his biological sex, without incident for 2 months. He has never asked for special accommodation--in fact, said accommodation was forced against his will by the school and that is what he is fighting in court.

This is the kind of irrational animus people are flirting with.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

So you are saying that there is a 100% rate ("free reign") of negative incidents WRT transgenders in public facilities?

Wherever did anyone say it was anyone's right to assault anyone?

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This,

The unisex bathroom mentioned in the article is in a co-ed dorm, it is NOT open to the pubic actually. To use it you either need to be part of the residence, or you are a invited guest by someone in the resident.

The Co-ed bathroom in this case was not even made because of the Trans bathroom issue, it was for convenience of the co-ed residence.

Non of the things discussed in this thread have anything to do with the actual OP.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How would you know that it was some dude if they look like a woman?

And would you feel more comfortable if a woman who was dressed and looked like a dude was forced to follow your daughter into the bathroom - and you wouldn't know that dude was a woman? How would you react?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If it looks like a dude - even in women's clothes - I would likely be paying closer attention. If it's a woman dressed like a dude I would have no problem.

This is all me guessing and speaking hypothetically, of course. I'm not saying this is absolutely 100% what would happen, or that others ought to be shamed if they don't think like how I might hypothetically think in such a situation. With these hypotheticals we're missing the context which would likely influence my perception of the situation.

Anyway I don't really know how often something like this would even happen, so answering hypotheticals lacking context with guesses based on zero experience might just be a waste of time for all of us. I was just trying to give an answer from a real-life parent, and I thought my answer was simple and relevant*: (if I were in a private establishment with no gender neutral restrooms) I would not pump my fist in the air to celebrate some dude following my daughter into a women's restroom/shower. Likely, I would either ask the guy what he's doing or (more likely) see if she could use a different facility.

I don't try to offend anyone, but if offending someone's (IMO) incoherent view of "rights" will remove my daughter from a potentially risky situation that is very easy to avoid? Then, yes. Every time, yes, I will do that.

*could have been wrong

1 person likes this.
  14. Northside Storm

I am not offended at all. Your notion of my incoherent view on rights is going to be resolved in the courts. I am merely pointing out that your irrational fears are being used for political ends. I would hope that nobody would be offended after this kind of conversation.

There are zero recorded incidents of trans people attacking non-trans people thanks to non-discriminatory bathroom laws in the states that have implemented them. If you want to remove your daughter from potentially risky situations, there's a lot more ground to be gained with other policies.

This is not IMO, btw, this is a factual statement. The probabilistic risk of your daughter being attacked by trans people in a bathroom is virtually zero, as opposed to her chances of being in a car accident, or being in contact with a stray weapon.

I appreciate the fact that you are concerned for your daughter. I am not going to shy away from pointing out how that fear is misguided and being misused by political agents.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

16. Northside Storm

I could see how somebody with your mental models could maintain climate change watch, and immigration/wage debates for so long.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wasn't talking about you lol. I was talking about the dude whose feelings might be hurt when I remove my daughter from that situation, who takes offense to that because he thinks he has a right to shower wherever he wants based on how he feels at any given moment. That right does not exist.

And to be clear, I'm trying to remove her from the guy pretending to be trans but is actually going in there for other reasons. I'm not trying to remove her from the presence of a transgender because I dislike or fear transgendered people. I really don't care if someone is transgendered or not.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again people have to consider that no change in the laws regarding bathroom access changes the laws regarding violating people's safety or privacy. Laws governing behavior can and will still apply.

19. Northside Storm

People are using your fear to build special bathrooms of one for transgender people because ick. If you mean the right not to face bulls**t discrimination, we're on the same page.

The "right to enter any bathroom whatsoever" doesn't exist, but the right to enter the bathroom according to whichever gender identity you prefer is something most federal agencies and Title IX regulations recognize. And if it gets to the Supreme...

Your fear is equally as irrational. Not only have states that set anti-discriminatory provisions in bathrooms not seen trans attacks on the rise, they have categorically stated that there has no rise in sexual assaults or incidents committed by anybody.

If you want to fight rape culture, continuing to discriminate against people for their gender identity with 0 data points seems to be an odd priority given that 68% of sexual assaults are unreported.

https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

#99 Northside Storm, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So in other words: ad-hominems.