1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

University Of Toronto Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Reduced After Voyeurism Reports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, it is about forcing gender neutral restrooms.

You can attempt to contort this issue, but that is exactly what the issue is.

Should the government force there to be gender neutral restrooms instead of separate restrooms for men and women.

That is fine...... if a majority of American's believe that there should be gender neutral restrooms, people will learn to live with it...... but don't try to church the discussion as something else, which is what you have attempted to do numerous times.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Or in this case Canadians.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

And I'm sorry, HB2 bans city governments from making that choice for many public buildings so if anything the debate is in the opposite direction (why do people fear gender neutral bathrooms? You've seen Texxx blunder into that)

I actually think this will go to the Supreme Court, eventually, then we can talk about the judicial wing "forcing" their belief that fundamental rights supersede democracy into the discussion but until then, this thread was constructed to question gender-neutral bathrooms. Too bad the facts misalign.

4. Northside Storm

Oh, this is rich. Your one opinion on this topic has been "I beat up people in the bathroom". I don't have to find a nefarious reason for you--you simply don't have any rational reasons. That doesn't make you a good or bad person, though it does make you a bad thinker.

Hey Nook--ever stopped to think that when you were questioning a sample size of 93, you never questioned your sample size of 0.

5. Northside Storm

Hey Commodore, focus more on your half-wormy approach with regards to HB2 and what it means for your true thoughts on federalism, and less on my future agenda of turning you into a transsexual.

Most people see irrational discrimination as being a-ok--good thing most people don't sit on the Supreme Court.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Beat up people in the bathroom? Are you talking about the man walking around a locker room high with his penis hanging out and asking a bunch of adolescent girls about where their parents are?

Gotcha.... lets start changing long standing laws, concerning a group of people that make up .03% of the population, that already have access to the restroom?

At least you admit the study you cited has a study size of 93.... and also included a trans person being asked if they were in the wrong restroom as harassment.

I don't know at what point you draw the line... there will always be some group, no matter how unbelievably small that will want specific changes that effect the overwhelming majority.... it is a sliding scale, and I suppose society ultimately decides what they will and will not accept.

As I said at a minimum you are consistent.

7. Northside Storm

The Supreme Court enforced First Amendment laws for the Westboro Baptist Church, or anybody else, to picket the funerals of dead soldiers. I rather think that American society will always decide that fundamental rights are worth preserving at a very high cost.

8. Nook

Nook Member

We will disagree as to what is and isn't a fundamental right, I do not view the top at hand as a fundamental right as transgendered people have access to public restrooms already. Perhaps I will feel differently in the future.

Not all groups get their concerns or grievances addressed or heard.... there are a number of groups (mini of them small) that believe they are discriminated against or want institutional changes made for whatever reason.... society decides which groups to consider worthy of attention.

9. Northside Storm

yeah and when HB2 conflicts with Title IX, that'll sure get society to notice the inconsistent protections for gender identity applied patchwork across the judicial system.

Yes, Commodore, this is the paragraph you highlight for your "Northside Storm LEFT AGENDA"

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Can you explain to me how HB2 discriminates against LGB's? I understand TG's bathroom obsession issues, but I do not understand how this has anything to do with LGB's.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What evidence is there of violence against transgender people in restrooms?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I went to UofT lived in the dorm next to this one actually.

I think people are off topic here, this really have nothing to do with allowing trans to use the female washroom. There's a whole bunch of unisex rest rooms here in UofT dorms, it's been that way for a long time. The one I lived in was the same case and I don't remember any problems, except for students having sex in shower stalls all the time.

I'm sure there are also US colleges that have unisex washrooms right. I fail to see what this have to do with trans people.

13. Space Ghost

Its pretty straight forward when it comes down to it. There are those who believe your sex is defined by biology, which we have always done with all species from the beginning of time.

Then there are those who are pushing this nonsense that sex is defined by psychology and expect everyone else to conform to this nonsense. This group has bonded with the LGB's and some how roped LGB's into their plight, when clearly, LGB's have no issue with bathrooms. HB2 has absolutely nothing to do with LGB's, but the media is running with it and claiming HB2 is discriminatory towards gays.

If TG's truly cared about their weird bathroom obsession, they would push to ensure bathroom usage would not be a crime, regardless of what sex one went into. Instead, they prefer to antagonize the situation and make it worse.
    Case in point; HB2. If I should accidentally walk into the wrong bathroom, or more likely, I walk into a public place that has a private lockable bathroom for each sex, and the mens room is out of order/long line/take my daughter into/whatever, I can't duck into the ladies private lockable bathroom w/out potentially committing a crime. We now have ignorant laws on the book that practically do not apply to anyone.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

None of it is about bathrooms. It was turned into bathrooms by conservative politics and the usual suspects now just want to talk about bathrooms. They've successfully hijacked the issue of civil rights with scary commercials of little girls being raped in bathrooms.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sex is defined by biology and not psychology. It's just that you are ignoring the biology that sometimes peoples wiring is the opposite to their physiology. That's not psychology.

It's so sad that you can't see that. Would be awesome if you had an open mind and could watch stories like this:

<embed src="http://www.cbsnews.com/common/video/cbsnews_video.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#000000" width="620" height="387" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="pType=embed&si=254&pid=8KVDpBhmcRCM&uuid=6ec83b35-d6e6-4129-9c2d-288fbd62d889&url=http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/lesley-stahl-schuyler-bailar" /><div class='cbs-resources'><span class='cbs-more'>View More: </span><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes-previews/' class='cbs-link'>Previews News</a><span class='cbs-pipe'>|</span><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/' class='cbs-link'>60 Minutes News</a><span class='cbs-pipe'>|</span><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/live/' class='cbs-link'>Live News</a><span class='cbs-pipe'>|</span><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/' class='cbs-link'>More News Videos</a></div><style type='text/css'>.cbs-link {color:#4B5054;text-decoration:none; font: normal 12px Arial;}.cbs-link:hover {color:#A7COFF;text-decoration:none; font: normal 12px Arial;}.cbs-pipe {color:#303435;padding: 0 2px;}.cbs-resources {height:24px; background-color:#000; padding: 0 0 0 8px; width: 612px;}.cbs-more {font: normal 12px Arial; color: #4B5054; padding-right:2px;}</style>

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This have nothing to do with what I wrote. Unisex bathrooms in university of toronto have been there long before the washroom equality movement or whatever. The reason behind it was mostly of convenience as the dorms themselves are also unisex. These are clearly in the descriptions of dorms when you sign up for them, if you are uncomfortable with that there are also segregated dorms you can live at.

Either way this particular case in unfortunate, but it's pretty uncommon, at least from when I use to live at the dorm.

The HB2 issue is completely different from this context. IMO you either have a unisex washroom, or you have segregated one. The rule bending for in between is stupid and defeats the entire purpose of segregation in the first place.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This sounds like it'd be a scene in one of those madcap college comedies from the 80s, but now the wording evokes more creepy sexual predator vibes. Or maybe creepy voyeurs were corrupted early in their lives from those scenes by the evil media.

Just realized that the expression "boys will be boys" isn't really appropriate anymore. To the wee minded mouthbreather, that might be akin to burning off a star on the American flag, but who really cares. Words come and go.

As for transgender rights, I'm sympathetic to their cause even if I can't fully wrap my mind around it. Stitcher radio autoplayed a mother's podcast about raising her 7 yr old transgender child. A lot of feels generated for the kid. I mean, once she enters puberty, it'll be a constant challenge reconciling her inner identity with what the public expects of him.

Toronto's policy of keeping some uni-sex restrooms is a measured compromise. AFAIK, transgender people are a very small minority. You don't build all stalls with handicap access, so why force all transgender/cis-gender people together? Maybe one day, but this feels like going from 0-60 in a few years.

Now I'm not basing this on the idea that being transgender is a handicap, but rather the intent of preserving people's dignity like what a handicap stall serves for its intended occupants. Where the analogy ends is how people share a restroom and not bathroom stalls. Its just too expensive for a dorm environment to accommodate everyone.

#57 Invisible Fan, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  18. Space Ghost

You stated you did not understand what this had to do with TG's. I explained it to you. They dont want unisex bathrooms. The still want segregated bathrooms. Men dont care if vagina's come into their segregated room. This is not an issue. Women do not want penis's in their washrooms. TG's with a penis generally do not have a phobia with using mens rooms, its they believe they have a right to use either room.

This has nothing to do with bathrooms or showers or any other facilities. It has everything to do with forcing others to conform to their beliefs. The fact is most people who need to use whatever facilities really dont care about where they are "segregated" to, as long as they can take care of their business in the couple minutes needed and move on with life. If ones life is that shattered over something so ridiculous, yes, you need a shrink.

1 person likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Are you implying that standard people (i would say normal, however you would get offended if I implied others are not normal) have a cut-and-dry traits of their sex? We are all unique. There is no uniform way to categorize people outside of their basic physiology. We have never based someones sex on how they are "wired" simply because everyone is different. We dont base sex on estrogen or testosterone levels, how how someone acts or perceives. We all fall somewhere between extreme masculine or extreme feminine, which society has built this construct, not nature. Why would we redefine the most binary way of categorizing a person?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As hard as I try to get fired up about this issue, I just can't seem to care one way or the other.

I'm fine with Men's rooms and Women's rooms. I'm fine with unisex. I just don't really care.