1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University Of Toronto Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Reduced After Voyeurism Reports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How about do nothing at all. Those that pass well enough for a different sex won't really be questioned and if they don't do anything wrong there won't be a problem, those that don't pass well enough for a different sex should use the facilities for their actual sex. IMO there really doesn't need to be legislation on this one way or the other because it's not really a problem, it only becomes a problem with legislation.

1 person likes this.
  2. body slam

body slam Member

winner winner chicken dinner

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So basically any time a transgender person uses the bathroom, they're breaking the law, but as long as nobody catches them they're good?

The jeopardy there is crazy. Every time you pee, you roll the dice on being thrown in jail based on whether someone else gets a bug up their ass. There is literally no restroom that you can use and be sure that you aren't breaking the law.

You really think that is a legit workable solution? (I mean, for the transgender people, not for you.)

Like I said, I think the right really just wishes that transgender people would all go away to Transgender Island and never come back.

#223 Ottomaton, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. body slam

body slam Member

What have they been doing before? Going at home and holding it the rest of the time?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No....don't make it a law one way or the other. If it's an inappropriate situation they might be asked to leave for using the wrong restroom. I mean, it's not easy to be mentally ill, but you can only do so much for them without infringing on everyone else. If places want to cater to them by providing tranny restrooms then that's fine, if they don't and they want people to go to the restroom reserved for their biological sex that's also fine.

Most of the time it wouldn't be an issue just like how most of the time it's not an issue now.....and the only reason we're talking about it is because gay marriage was made legal and LGBT groups feel like they need a reason to b**** and whine to keep the funds coming in. Since they lost their legitimate reason they had to find something and it seems this is the best they could do. It's really a non-issue though, it only became an issue when people on the left started pushing for bad and unnecessary legislation that would inadvertently legalize peeping Toms. In doing so they created this whole BS debate which keeps funds coming in to those groups.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

7. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

So you oppose HB2 in North Carolina?

I find the idea of being asked to leave much less troublesome than the idea of being arrested as is currently the norm. Cops don't ask people to use the other restroom. They arrest them under a "disturbing the peace" charge or some other vague catch-all. I find it doubtful that that changes without explicit legal protection.

#227 Ottomaton, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  8. body slam

body slam Member

On average how many are arrested in a year?

9. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Seperating and Collating state-by-state arrest numbers is beyond the scope of what I am willing to do.

1 arrest without recourse is too many for me to accept. The idea that anybody has to worry about being arrested because they want to pee is anathema to me.

10. body slam

body slam Member

How about just in your city or state?

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is that really how this started? With legislation intended to protect transgender people, rather than with legislation intended to protect "religious liberty"? Honestly, I don't recall which came first, or if one was a response to the other.

I do think your position of just dropping all legislation and letting common sense guide which bathroom is appropriate for an individual is a sensible option.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I oppose legislation on either side so yeah. I don't think there should be a law suggesting that there is a right for one to pick whatever sex exclusive facility they want to use and I don't think there should be a law that would lead to them being arrested unless they were disturbing others...even then I think a criminal trespass warning would be sufficient to prevent future problems even in those cases. I would imagine in the vast majority of situations, no one would notice or care and it wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah it first started as "equal protection" laws that attempted to establish a right for one to pick their gender on a whim and equated sex to gender. That's what caused the blowback and made this a national issue. Several places it passed, other places it didn't.

IMO the "religious liberty" bills are as ridiculous as the "equal protection" laws since this really should be a non-issue IMO.

14. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I think there is a reasonable basis where you and I could find common ground or a compromise or whatever.

I don't get that feeling from most of the people opposing it. Not to put words in your mouth, but it basically sounds like you are saying the same about people fighting for protection and I think I would concede that.

Given the shift among young Americans on LGBT issues in the last 30 years, conservatives aren't going to like the outcome of an all or nothing fight. I know you are just stating your opinion, not pursuing some sort of complex game strategy, but I think conservatives would ultimately be better off by pursuing something non-confrontational like you are discussing that just pushes the whole thing off the table.

I think the way the wind is blowing on these issues, an all or nothing conservative "last stand" is likely to be just that - Custer's last stand at the Little Big Horn, or maybe LaVoy Finicum's last stand with Ammon Bundy in Oregon.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a moronic statement. It resides up there with the whole pedo/voyeurism scare.

The vast majority of people go into the restroom to take care of business, not treat it as a social club. Its the PC Bros and a handful of TG's who really have this bathroom obsession issue.

Do you really think a TG will face less harassment going into the different bathroom? If a male looking person walks into the female facility, they will face much more harassment than going into the mens.

This has little to do with harassment, or rights or any other straw man arguments. I find it very very odd that a person with a penis has a very strong desire to go pee with the women. Again, its not a social club. Its a place to take care of business.

Decriminalize any form legislation that may make it illegal to go in the opposite sex facility and just be done with it.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While you might think it's a freak show, science is on the side saying it's not a choice. It makes no sense to send someone who looks like a man into a woman's bathroom, which is what you are suggesting. That will create more of a problem.

Again, if you want people to be comfortable, than you let transgender use the right bathroom of their choice so that everyone is more comfortable.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a choice, it's a mental illness or it's people lying. Certainly not a choice.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Again, if you want people to be comfortable, we should forsake other peoples comfort levels also?

Why can't little confused Johnny be okay with using a private bathroom in the elementary school? Is that not comfortable enough? Clearly this has little to do with comfort level and more about a TG forcing their way into somewhere where they are not wanted. Again, restrooms are not social clubs.

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So essentially if someone is a transgender and they don't look convincing in their "new" gender, then we have people who are up in arms with them using the bathroom?

I can guarantee you that no woman had a problem with this trans using the ladies' room:

[​IMG]

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is immaterial to which bathrooms should be used. To a toilet female, male or transgender pee and poop is the same.

Then NC shouldn't pass HB2.