1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University Of Toronto Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Reduced After Voyeurism Reports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Apr 11, 2016.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

:rolleyes: ok lets make loitering legal too since thats taking away from more violent crimes. also graffiti. Hell theft shoudl be legal. Its totally taking away resources from rape and murder. Again, I didn't even say i agree/disagree with the NC law, but saying stuff like that cant be enforced is simply wrong. Cop just sits around and if someone reports that someone in teh wrong restroom u go check it out if u can. Same as all sorts of other crimes.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, all of those things are equal to using a public restroom. Great point.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

voyeurism is far worse than loitering or graffiti. Yes. Its sexual harassment.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Voyeurism has nothing to do with transgender people using public restrooms, I don't know why you come back to that.

Women can voyeur on other women, men on little boys, etc etc. Being transgender doesn't make you a voyeur. As for that, women are in constant threat of that thanks to technology making cameras smaller and more mobile and generally more accessible. Subway voyeurism for instance preying on women wearing skirts. If your big issue is protecting women against voyeurs then more power to you. I'm not sure what keeping transgender women out of ladies restrooms will accomplish to that end though.

So you are right, if someone is in the restroom being a peeping tom, in either restroom then the cops should be called. That's not what is being discussed. We are talking about simply using the public restroom.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

*tallanvor suddenly realizes he lives in a republican democracy*

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am sure Tallanvor was protesting all 325 presidential directives Reagan issued... :rolleyes:

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I addressed this earlier from the architectural side but will repeat it.
    You don't actually have to retrofit bathrooms to make them unisex as both men and women use toilets (WC in professional parlance)and in public restrooms WC's are required in men's room. By code you cannot just put in urinals. If we make all public bathrooms unisex while more men will end up using the bathrooms that currently have urinals no retrofit is needed just to allow women to use the WC in them or for men to use the WC in what were women's. In the meantime future restrooms will be built truly unisex.

Another factor with if we go to all unisex restrooms is that it will end up being much easier and therefore save money in design and construction. Having to design and construct for separate gender facilities is a duplication of resources that also takes up more space. Even if a new unisex bathrooms have the same number of fixtures as two gender separated bathrooms it will be easier to concentrate the plumbing and not having to separate the space with walls will make that easier to plan and build.

Just an anecdotal story on this issue. A couple of weeks on the night of Prince's death I was in downtown Minneapolis to see the massive crowd that turned out to mourn and celebrate. The bar I was at was packed and there was a very long line for the women's room. Several women decided to use the men's room and for most of the men including myself it wasn't a big issue and out of chivalry were happy to allow them. There was only one guy who was upset about it and he kept on yelling things like 'if you don't have a dong you shouldn't be here!' and 'Respect the dong!' For his trouble he almost got his @ss kicked by a big guy who told him to quiet down.

8. body slam

body slam Member

I just want to know who started all the transgender restroom BS to begin with? It was not that long ago no one really cared where they went to the restroom and everyone seemed happy.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Once gay marriage was passed, the PC bro's needed something new to b**** about to stay relevant in the news.

It really makes you wonder why people are making a BFD over this.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Seems like once gay marriage was passed some folks decided to focus their irrational anger elsewhere.

Again, remember that Transgender people have been using the restrooms they've wanted to use. Where do you think they were using the restrooms?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you really suggesting that those who are against a person using facilities that do not coincide with their philology started this? You are certainly delusional. Its the TG's who have been trying to get these weird bathroom obsession law's passed over the last couple years.

I certainly can't say where TG's have been using the facilities and I highly suspect you can't say either, but you are correct, this really hasn't been an issue in the past. Why are we making a BFD over it now?

Its just insane that the NBA is looking to move the Allstar game out of NC and other businesses looking to boycott NC all because of a retribution law due to *maybe* a dozen people who have a problem with their obsessive bathroom nature.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm yes? Do we need to revisit the arguments against gay marriage?

There was one side that made it clear that they don't believe gays should be married and it was against their faith and philosophy. One side.

Everyone else didn't know what the big deal about it was.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought this whole thing started because a bunch of conservative legislatures were trying to pass bathroom bills to solve something that really wasn't a problem to begin with. Just to be clear, you're saying that's not how it started? Set me straight if I'm missing something.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Basically this.

They always have to have something to whine about so when they get their way (rightfully so IMO) on gay marriage, they had to trump up some other issue and pretend it is a civil rights abuse. This seems to be the best they could do so it's their new issue and reason to exist.

15. Northside Storm

lolllllll

This is hilarious.

"I have no more arguments, so I'm going to resort to say this is a waste of time."

*whole thing started because of religious liberty laws because certain conservatives couldn't handle a Supreme Court ruling like the adults they aren't

16. Northside Storm

federal appeals courts seem to think this is a big deal. The Supreme might as well.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In a civilized age, people shouldn't be forced to use a bathroom the don't feel comfortable with. A woman who identified as a man and became a man shouldn't be forced to use the girls bathroom. That's insane. So you are saying that this man, who has lady parts, should go into the woman's bathroom and walk in there with a bunch of women inside and then everyone gets to feel uncomfortable. And what happens if those women complain that a man is in there bathroom. "Oh it's ok, I don't have a dong, let me show you?"

Beyond being discriminatory, it's just stupid.

I hope the NBA moves the all-star game. There is no place for discrimination and oppression of people in this day and age, and it's important that those who have fought hard for liberties continue the fight for those who are still fighting for their own.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

People should use the bathroom for the gender their genitals identify them as. End of story.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a civilized age, we should understand that sex is a biological fact, not a choice. That said, I think it should be up to the business or institution if they want to cater to the freak show demographic or if they don't. Having one bathroom or locker room reserved for one sex and another reserved for people of the other sex is not discriminatory and it's not discriminatory to ban those of the male sex from the women's restroom even if they are mentally ill and believe themselves to be of a different sex. That said, if they want to cater to that demographic, it's their right. None of this would even be an issue if there weren't people trying to force legislation to take that decision away from the people and force EVERYONE to cater to the freak show.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a bunch of people who outwardly look like men (i.e. transgender women) start using the women's restrooms, I have a hard time believing that conservatives all over the USA will welcome this and not freak out and call the cops every time they see some big bubba-looking dude walking in the Women's john.

That leads me to think that ultimately conservatives just don't want to think about transgender people using public restrooms at all, and any solution is going to somehow feel icky and gross.

Of course, then we'll need to pass a law where anybody has the right to demand a long look at anybody else's genitals to make sure that they are using the correct bathroom. Bet that will go over well.

Example:

Can any of you tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't be rushing to call the cops - or worse pulling your concealed gun - if this "dude" followed your wife into the women's room?

[​IMG]

If you guys can come up with a way to make this work that doesn't result in 24/7 harassment of transgender people every time they have to pee, that might be a good starting point.

#220 Ottomaton, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016