1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

United volunteers to kick people off plane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Sue?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. jsingles

jsingles Member

At the minimum sue. First thing I'll do is give permission for someone to physically touch me, then sue them when they do it. Then maybe go back to stealing picture's of men's genitalia. That seems to be what a lot of the little ninnies in this thread are advocating. Pretty sickening.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I gotta believe you are trolling. You seriously cannot be stupid enough to believe he gave anyone permission to touch him. That's like saying a woman who says "rape me, I dare you, I'll call the police and have you arrested" is consenting to sex. Only a sick and deplorable person would see that as an invitation to sex. As for his other crimes, last time I checked he paid his debt to society so get over it. That's why we have the damned criminal justice system in the first place. You can't honestly be this dense.

superfob, DonnyMost, malakas and 2 others like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I do spend too much time down there, and I'd hate to see a largely good discussion brought down by the usual idiots in D&D. I think it should stay here. That's my humble opinion, anyway.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The legal questions and the ethics of United's actions are great. Definitely not D&D material. The people who have a hard-on to attack the character of the doctor are turning it into a D&D like thread.

DonnyMost and Deckard like this.
  6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't think Trump would have left the plane on his own will. He's strong. No way he willingly leaves that plane.

Oh I wish that was Trump getting his teeth knocked out lol.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats a bit disrespectful. If someone had said the same about Obama, you'd be the first to scream racist.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think people should only refuse an unlawful order if they know the order is unlawful. And then they'll still get arrested. And if they're vindicated by the court, then they're in for a payday. I doubt Dao knew the law, but he gambled and won. The more value you place on your rights, the more expensive it'll be for someone to deprive you of them.

If Dao had submitted to United, left the plane when asked, and sued them afterwards, what do you think the settlement would've been? How many thousands?

However, he refused to leave, and it looks like the law is on his side. Now the question is "how many millions?"

9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You nailed it bro,

I have been trying my hardest to make my point on this forum as well as others. There are people out there willing to lay down at the drop of a hat in the name of compliance with the law. I don't know when did we ever become like this? The aftermath of 9/11 has a part in it, but I'd like to hear from other folks, why are we so quick to give up our civil liberties in the name of compliance?

#849 generalthade_03, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Mathloom likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

What I have found interesting in this story is that
    Exactly how did he win? Was there a court case that I am unaware of?

If Dao is 100% wrong, do you think he still deserves the millions he will get when he settles?

Further, do you not find it odd that people in the airline industry are not supporting Dao?

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The CEO of United publicly apologized and said the airline would take full responsibility. How can you interpret that to mean anything other than a win for Dao?

If Dao is 100% wrong, why would United settle?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Airlines losing billions... yet some still feel they did no wrong.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

United Airlines pilots "infuriated" by "grossly inappropriate" dragging of passenger
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-...-grossly-inappropriate-dragging-of-passenger/

14. Major

Major Member

LOL, typical Space Ghost response fail.

Whether it was a win for Dao or not, it was certainly a win for airline passengers across the board. Airlines are revising their rules to pay more to passengers to voluntarily bump themselves, raising the time limit for kicking people off, etc.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet major airlines are now making big changes in their policies due to this one incident. Dr. Dao has made air travel a bit better.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Did you bother to read the article? Of course not. you only read the headline.

To summarize:

"It was Republic, not us (United)"
    "It was the security officers fault, not us (United)".

Contrary to what everyone else is saying, United Airlines Union is clearly stating they had nothing to do with the issue and its not their fault. All they stated was a vague comment that it should not have happened. They did not support or fault Dao. My point stands.

In the mean time, as predicted, airlines will change their policies. (Instead of giving in to people like Dao). You can be sure their T&C's will give the airline permission to remove noncomplying passengers once the threshold has been met. And close any other loophole that may give them problems in the future.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/15/delt...line|story&par=yahoo&doc=104405737&yptr=yahoo

up to $2000.00 for voluntary denied boarding's.
    up to $10,000 for involuntary denied boarding's.

This would prevent any issue like this from occurring again, as it should have been in the first place. This incident was probably incited by a piss poor policy from Republic that limited the compensation allowed. Gate agents where shackled by piss poor Republic policies which then in turned had to be handed over to the authorities.

Regardless, these new policies will certainly cover the airlines rights to remove anyone from the plane for any reason if the airelines are willing to pay a small sum. Is this really a victory for passengers?

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Do you work for an airline, or do you enjoy getting your ass whooped?

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

With $10,000, I could buy a Nissan Versa in cash and drive it all the way back home instead.

19. NewRoxFan

It appears that your compulsion to defend United Airlines is only digging yourself deeper and further embarrassing yourself.

First, despite your clumsy (if not disingenuous) quoting of my post, its clear I read the entire article I cited since I included the pertinent excerpts which directly supported the title and directly responded to your question: "Further, do you not find it odd that people in the airline industry are not supporting Dao?"

Its only a few posts above in case you want to verify, but just in case, here's a link to the post: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...people-off-plane.281875/page-43#post-11030112

And again, here's the excerpt: "They say they are “infuriated” by what happened and blamed the debacle on the “grossly inappropriate” actions of the security officers."

First, we all know it was a Republic crew and airplane. But we also know that United still bears responsibility for the flight since the flight was being operated on United Airlines' behalf, using United's livery and branding. So the United Airlines Pilot union (odd you edited that part out) can emphasize it was a Republic flight and crew, but in this case that matters little. And while I agree the CDA bears responsibility for the physical assault on the passenger, United still bears responsibility for calling them in and for not settling the issue before it got to that point. Note that the CDA has suspended three of four involved, so it demonstrates their acknowledgement of their part responsibility in the assault.

But again, the United Pilots Union is reported in the article you mistakenly or dishonestly claimed I didn't read...".They say they are “infuriated” by what happened and blamed the debacle on the “grossly inappropriate” actions of the security officers."

LOL. Here's where you further embarrass yourself by arguing against your own point. Its clear that the offensive and embarrassing assault on the passenger would bring about changes. The CEO from United in his apology to the passenger said they would make changes. This won't change any settlement that the passenger receives but will benefit the rest of us passengers.

But I also expect more changes, as congressmen from both parties have expressed their outrage and will legislate more changes and pressure airlines for more changes to prevent this from happening again.

To be honest, I lost track of where your response was heading, but its clear even with the confusion in your post that passengers will benefit from these changes. So thanks are owed to the passenger who stood his ground (or in this case, stayed in his seat).

#859 NewRoxFan, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  20. NewRoxFan

btw, two more stories of passengers with allegations of being manhandled on United Airlines flights:

http://fortune.com/2017/04/15/united-airlines-segway-disability/

http://nypost.com/2017/04/15/former-beauty-queen-was-roughed-up-on-united-flight-suit/