1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[United Arab Emirates] Spurs could suffer as they see Scola shine with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=55642

Spurs could suffer as they see Scola shine with the Rockets
    Last Updated : Monday 30 Jul, 2007 -

There’s a very good chance the San Antonio Spurs will live to regret their decision to trade the rights to Argentina sensation Luis Scola to their Texas rivals, Houston. The Spurs drafted in 27-year-old Scola in the second round five years ago but failed to pry him away from Spanish giants Tau Ceramica because of the transfer fee.

The Spurs believed they simply could not afford him. But letting Scola go could come back to haunt them. San Antonio have allowed a 6ft 9in superstar, arguably the finest and classiest player in Europe for the past several years, slip through their fingers. He’s a great passer, and is forever attacking the basket.

And what’s more he’s humble. Scola has not arrived in Houston beating his chest and proclaiming himself to be the best player in the world. He’ll be more than happy to feed off the scraps that will come his way on misses from Houston’s NBA all stars, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.
    “I’m sure they’re going to help me much more than I’m going to help them,” Scola said. “They’re superstars. They’re going to make basketball easier. I have to take this chance and use it.” Rockets fans will get a sneak preview of Scola this summer, when unlike most of the Argentinians in the NBA, he’ll play in Las Vegas for his country at the FIBA Americas Championship.
    Houston can’t wait for him to put on their Rockets uniform. “He has size and experience and he's been a winner at every level,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “He’s someone that we think can come in and contribute right away to the team. “He’s going to be a great attribute to Yao,” said new coach Rick Adelman. “The more passers and more scorers that you have on the floor, the harder you are to defend. I just think it’s going to be easy for him. I showed him a tape earlier of what we like to do and he fits right in there.”
    Scola is philosophical about finally making a move to the NBA. “I would have loved to have played for the Spurs and to have been a part of all their championships and all their success all these years, but things didn’t work out and I’m here, now,” Scola said. “But I still have a chance to play for a winning team.”
    He’s a no nonsense player. “What I want to do is fight in every game, every practice,” Scola said, “to try and help these players who have been here much longer, to bring more success.” Scola was asked what his good friend and compatriot, Manu Ginobili of San Antonio, had told him.
    “He knows it’s not going to be easy, it’s a new country, a new language, a new coach, everything - the referees, the rules, everything is different,” Scola said. “It’s not going to be easy, but you have to deal with it sooner or later, and better sooner than later.” There’s a good chance Spurs fans, and management, will cringe when they see Scola begin to “deal with it” later this year.

2. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Great find, thanks for sharing.

3. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Hye are you from the UAE? I live and work in Dubai, maybe we can meet to catch some games when the season begins, watching Rocket games alone sucks a$$

btw....7days sucks! ;)

4. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I am going to reiterate it again. Scola is beyond a doubt one of the most matured and classy players I have ever heard. I have no doubt this guy is going to be a significant contributor to the Rockets next season.

5. onethreeeleven

Its pretty effing cool that this forum finds articles written by newspapers in uae within 24 hours of them being written. Good find.

6. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

you live in dubai? thats awesome. i so wanna visit that place

7. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Great article.

This year Rockets beet the spurs in 6 in the WCF, how sweet would that be?!!!

8. conquistador#11

"those that know me.....know my game, those that don't.....soon will"- huicho scola-

9. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

don't jinx it

10. metalshred

metalshred Member

lmao i live in dubai too, when i saw the title, i was like WOW r u kidding me? Rockets fans in UAE? lol

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm pretty convinced that the Spurs never signed Scola because Scola didn't see playing time for himself with Duncan there. He might have decided he wanted minutes primarily at the 4, didn't want a role like Rasho's, and held out. We have a glaring hole at the 4, and it took us all of a week to have him signed. Hmmmmm.

I can't know anything for sure, but I have a hard time buying this Spurs line about money....I believe that when they traded him, they saw his situation as being just like ours with VSpan. Now they get to sidestep the embarrassment of never being able to bring in their prize fish.

12. Panda

Panda Member

Good point, as one of the finest Euro league players making millions a year, I guess Scola wasn't giddy about coming to the NBA to come off the bench.

13. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

WTH??

I LIVE IN DUBAI!! Since when does 7 days cover basketball news?? And ROCKETS news for that matter? The extent to which the papers cover basketball here is 1 pargraph and scores!!

I'm up for getting together to watch Rockets basketball later if you guys are up for it... The number of UAE posters has increased and I didn't realize!

14. flipster

flipster Member

I read from another post that he is atheletic but when i saw the videos he doesn't look like he got hopz like the nba players do

15. windfern

windfern Member

We could have traded Span for Garnett instead. :D

16. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

I wish i could live in Dubai..lucky man...anyways great find nice to read this

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Spurs never seem to suffer :( . They did it cuz they needed space the only mistake they made was to give to a conference and legit rival. Besides that they made trade to get space and to get more players.

It was good trade for both teams.

18. cavevato

cavevato Member

To me he looks like he has the same athleticism that Dirk has,which isnt to bad in my opinion.

19. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

Anyone have any idea of what Scola's jersey number will be?

20. Guru

Guru Member

Hi number is 4, I think!