1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unhappy about America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jisangNY1, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

I am unhappy about the state of this country and am thinking about moving to another country. Can anyone tell me what country is good place to be in for an unhappy and increasingly disturbed American? I heard Singapore is a great place to live in because of the low crimes, great schools and mostly Asian population (Chinese, Malay, and Indian). Singapore is a very good economy as well. I am thinking about moving to South Korea as well as the high-tech economy over there is booming there and I am of that ancestry (although my Korean is a little dysfunctional). I once visited Holland and loved the liberal attitudes and welcoming people there as well.
    You may be asking why I am thinking of moving to another country. Well for one, I don't believe in the hype of America as being a great country especially because of all the crime, racial problems, and government corruption in this country. I'm tired of America because of the lack of morals and values in this country. I'm tired of the increasing cynicism people in America have towards their country. I'm tired of all the corrupt politicians in Washington and all the lies that our government is perpetuating on the American people. I'm sick of all the racial tensions between all the races and lack of unity and togetherness that all Americans (regardless of race and class) should have towards each other. Instead, we all seem to be rude and hateful towards one another. Our education system is in shambles, the American people seem increasingly "dumbed down" by Hollywood, MTV, and popular culture. I don't watch TV anymore except for PBS and the news. Am I the only one who thinks this country is going down the tubes? The only redeeming value of America is that it’s only good for making money and even that is in danger with increasing competition from China and India.
    I know I'm not the only one out there that has feelings like this. I talk to some people in conversations and some agree with my rants, although some do not. I know some people will question my patriotism but I served in the military. Some will call me a "liberal" but I am a conservative at heart. Some will label me an Anti-American but I did not always harbor such feelings. Is it just me or do some people out there agree with me and are becoming increasingly frustrated like I am?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't see all the racial tension you are talking about. Race has mattered less then ever before. We have more minorities in leadership in government, more minorities elected to office, more minorities leading companies, etc.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

4. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Apparently most everyone in the Netherlands speaks English. Plus pot and prostitution are legal. You might want to check it out. That may help relieve your stress...

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be more rewarding if you strive to change it for the better?

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I reallly like canada... as much as i hated it, once i visited there, i was like, WOAH, this is everything i wanted america to be like...

other than the vast use of french.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am unhappy about reading longass posts with no paragraphs. :p

One great thing about America (and it can be sometimes a bad thing) is that you have the freedom to do many things like leave the country, for example.

Remember that when something happens to you in your new country and you find that you can't do whatever you wanted like you would if you were in the U.S.

8. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

And long Winter, actually I like French in Canada, they are harmless, although French in France are a little bit too arrogant in my opinion, maybe just the ones I met, including a little thief.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

im not talking about the french people, im not racist buddy. im talking about the use of that language so damn much...

then again im sure canadians say the same about spanish when they come down to texas.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

actually....it's the "Texan" that's a little hard to understand ;).

11. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Oops, forgot to space my paragraphs! Anyway, its people like you Manny that is so typical of an American. Even some criticism of America and you tell me to get the hell out! Have you even visited other countries like I have or have you even been outside the country at all. All I'm saying is that America is not the "greatest country in the world" as you have been lead to believe. America may be the richest country in the world but that doesn't mean America a great place to live in.

BTW Manny, are you hispanic? What's you take on all the illegal immigration coming into this country, primarily hispanics who don't even speak the language and don't assimilate into mainstream America. I don't have a problem with legal immigrants or hispanics in general, but you have to admit our countries borders are a joke.

Also, as for my comments about the racial problems in this country, let me ask you this. I heard from some people that in some predominantly latino population states like Arizona and New Mexico, hispanics often harrass the whites and they is great tension between blacks, whites, and hispanics in some areas of the country. I don't want to single out hispanics only. Blacks, Whites,Hispanics, Jews, Arabs, Asian, Indian, Russians, etc. Do all these groups get along in America. My answer is no.

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Nothing racist about it at all, Canadians joke about Frenches, and Frenches there joked about themselves there as well. Of course, they joked about Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Americans and all too. My feeling is, that it's more relaxed there, less tension and sensitivity. People try less hard to be politically correct on the surface.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Before you decide to pick up and leave, dont assume that other countries are somehow a panacea of peace and tranquility.

All those Asian countries you cited have more crime (maybe not singapore but then again they dont guarantee some basic liberties you get here), much much more corruption, and believe me they're not nearly as open to diversity as this country is.

Also the Peter Van Gogh death (or whatever his name is) also highlighted the racial tensions and racial backlash inherent even in supposedly liberal western European countries. Believe me being liberal and legalizing things like pot doesn't equate to openness to other culture.

America has its problems but believe me we are WAY WAY ahead of the world when it comes to openness and tolerance. Some of those European and Asian countries are just blatantly racist in their policy.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I am unhappy about the state of monkeys. They are all furry mostly and they do nothing but eat and fight and hump all day. That is against family values! Those monkeys need to get off their multi-colored asses and do some real work. Why do they just sit there in the zoo all day when they could be digging holes and running for office and stuff? Damn lazy monkeys.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I can tell you a lot of the cultural things you don't like about America you will still find in Singapore. Singaporeans just gobble up crappy American culture and are as into Jessica Simpson and Starbucks as much as any American suburbanite. Unfortunately though there's a lot less skin in movies and they're edited by gov censors. Singapore society is also remarkeably shallow and while the people are very well educated they are pretty materialistic and not very deep.

On top of that there's an overbearing government.

Well there's corrupt politicians everywhere.

17. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Well, yes, Singapore has a strict government. But I wouldn't mind as one American told me its a great place to raise a family and they don't put up with bull**** like they do here. Also, yes Holland has some troubles but when I was there it was such a liberating experience and the people were fantastic!

I'm not saying there is a perfect country in the world but America is in the decline phase and only the blind can't see it. Every great empire in the history of humankind goes through a process: a humble beginning to a metoric rise to power to eventual superpower status and then a decline phase. Read any history book about ancient Rome, Greece, Mayan, Chinese and Indian civilization, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Someone on the board talked about Canada. Can you give me more information about the country. I've heard many good things about the country. I know the country is a lot more open-minded about things than they are in America. I would like to find a country where I feel it is safe to raise children in when I eventually have children and form a family. Any suggestions?

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A little touchy, aren't we? It was a joke thus the reason for the " :p ". Get a grip, please? And for your information, I am leaving the country for 12 days at the end of this month of what appears to be the greatest vacation of my life. But I am glad that you sure do know me and know how I think - talk about a kneejerk reaction, sheesh.

Nope, not hispanic despite my handle - I am a white male. I feel that you should make an effort to speak English if you are going to live in this country but if you don't, how does that necessarily affect me? It really doesn't.

You sound like you are wanting a perfect society or a utopian society. Newsflash for you - it won't ever happen. All you can do is control yourself and try to treat people the way you want to be treated. Now I wouldn't let people walk all over me but you have to approach things differently than the way you are now. You appear to me to be someone who lets the littlest things get to them. I hope that really isn't the case because that isn't good for your health (high blood pressure and all).

19. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

jisangNY1 - you're welcome to leave the country, however, I have a feeling once you leave, you'll find yourself in the same position no matter where you go. Your post strikes me as indicative of someone who sees only the negatives in any situation and not the positives.

20. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jisangNY1, just out of curiosity... in what part of America do you live?

Your moniker seems to indicate New York, but I just want to be sure.