1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Undervalued 2015 free agents

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, May 21, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Got some players I want to highlight here in 2015 free agency that could turn into value signings. Not bloated, boat anchor contracts that way overvalue the player and make the player impossible to move out if you need the cap space. But possible value signings that will probably outplay their contract and can be traded for cap space relatively easily if cap space is needed.

I'll start with:

1. Bogan Marjanovic - otherwise known as Doctor Spock

This dude is 7'3" with a 9'7" standing reach. He's got huge hands and catches every ball that is thrown to him. A Spurs fan I communicate with occasionally described his hands as suction cups. That's an apt description. He catches and dunks everything close to the rim. He can shoot out to 15-18 feet very well. And he's got plenty of post moves. Also a dominant rebounder in Europe. And his sheer length gives opponents trouble when they come into the paint.

His one drawback is he is slow-footed. Not necessarily slow end-to-end. He's average there. But slow side-to-side. So he can be exploited somewhat in pick-and-roll coverage. But that goes for a lot of centers.

Bogan is basically the anti-Dwight. He's extremely big, extremely long, has way above average post-up moves and is efficient offensively in the low post and has a nice face-up jump shot, and he knocks down his free throws. He lacks Dwight's athleticism and some of Dwight's defensive quickness. But his size defensively and on the boards is incredible...especially when he helps off the ball. He can flat smother opponents on the interior.

He's just finished up in Europe and is a free agent. I believe he's in is mid 20's, maybe 25-27 years old. He speaks English very well as you will see if you youtube him. And he's obviously a diligent worker. He's got NBA written all over him and he'll make some team a great backup center.

Probably won't come for Whiteside's bargain basement contract of last year. But I'm thinking he may be gettable for part of the MLE, say 2-6 to 2-8.

I'd like to sign this guy to play backup to Dwight in spite of his slow-footedness. As a backup he could stand under the defensive rim, rebound the ball, and outlet pass, and then stand there and wait for the team to come back to him off the break. And if we were in half-court sets, he'd be most effective in the low post. I could even see the possibility of him and Dwight sharing the floor when we play teams like Memphis. He's versatile enough to step outside and play the high post with Dwight down low. And he'd be a nice defensive look against power guys like Zach. I think he'd snuff Zach out with his length and size.

2. Alex Renfroe - PG

Alex Renfroe is another free agent out of Europe who is coming off a breakout type season. He's a left-handed PG with the build of Mike Conley and he reminds me a lot of Conley on both ends of the court. Gets steals, plays the passing lanes effectively defensively. Offensively he's very efficient, shooting right at 50% from 2 and 45% from 3 on a good volume of 3-balls. Good FTr at .30. He also rebounds well for his position. A/TO is a little over 2. And he offsets all his lost possessions from turnovers by picking up steals and offensive boards. In other words, he's not a possession drainer but a possession creator.

I think Renfroe could be signed for a league minimum contract. And I think he'd be a little younger (in his late 20's), and possibly a little better backup PG than Pablo is for us right now. Just had a kid and is probably looking for an NBA opportunity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will bring you some more later.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The First guy sounds like Mark Eaton

Rocket River

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

He's slow very slow reminds me of Mark Eaton just with a shot.

4. basketballholic

Marjanovic is not as slow as Eaton but he's slow. But even though he's slow, he's quicker than Eaton ever could have been. And Marjanovic is far superior to Mark Eaton with his offensive post-up play, pick-and-roll play, and face-up game. Eaton was just a garbage man offensively. Marjanovic will drive the opponents into a double team. They'll have to double him to hold him down. He's become a very skilled low block offensive player the last couple years.

He's more Yao than Eaton.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PyHS-oTeAkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#4 basketballholic, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are only two under-rated free agents in 2015 and they're both out of Europe? That's a short list!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do not want. What kind of stupid name is "Boban"? Has there ever been one decent NBA player named "Boban"?

7. basketballholic

Are you kidding me? #Skimreader

8. malakas

malakas Member

Boban has to be the ugliest basketball player. Like really. Look at his ears.

[​IMG]

But I think he's too slow to play in the NBA. He wants to come over this year though and he will work out with some teams to see if they sign him. Or at least this is what the rumours say.

9. basketballholic

Welp, I begged Morey to sign Hassan Whiteside last summer. And I wanted Boban this summer. Just preseason, you understand. But if you can't see that the guy can play and we could have really used him, especially as our 15th man (he'd actually wind up much higher than that in our rotation)....and we probably could've gotten him for a minimum deal if we had went after him early.

Boban is going to wind up being a factor for the Spurs.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw this guy for the first time tonight sitting on the Spurs bench and his ears were unreal.

11. basketballholic

You should've seen him in the game. Who cares about his ears. It's his mitts and his 7-3 frame and 8 foot arms and the fact that he knows how to use all that size that make him intriguing to watch. This guy made Harrell and Terrence look like elementary school kids playing against their parents.

12. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Yeah, because Harrell and Jones are 6'9, they are undersized PF's let alone a center.

He did some good things and some bad things as well. Project player at this stage.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't get it. Is he a child care expert or something?

14. basketballholic

No,Carl. Never. :rolleyes:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTRqi0CKCTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rox should pay me to scout for them. Spurs are paying him $1.2 million to play for them. He's got a great shot to succeed Duncan as their starting center in a year or two.

2 people like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Gotta say Holic has been hitting it these last couple of seasons.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

meh he also said cole aldrich was a huge signing for the clips. yeah not really

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That was a good call on your part. He looks solid.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Using bballholic's same logic he's used before, need to consider the quality of the opponent.

The 76ers lost by over 50 points to Spurs SECOND stringers. Thats a terrible team in Philly. It means other lesser players looked like a star against them too

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Look at his stats thru 11 games, he's been quite good.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good call bballholic! Maybe you should be the Rockets scout.

It's funny how loud it got for Boban in Philadelphia. He ate up Okafor.