1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under-rated move by Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't really understand the fascination with Bazemore, here. I mean, he's one of the worst shooters in the league and doesn't really offer much else. Maybe he offers some intangibles that I'm not aware of or that would make the Rockets a better team, but I can guarantee you that I would rather have Gordon soaking up any minutes Bazemore would be getting right now.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That is exactly the what-if situation that I am talking about. Morey has a lot of people under his belt doing all kinds of analysis and tape watching and obviously he feels Houston could have used Bazemore. We don't know whether Bazemore will turn out to be a good fit, but Morey obviously feels that way. Just because Bazemore is struggling now doesn't mean he would have struggled it Houston. Just like how Eric Gordon struggling in the Pelicans wouldn't mean he would have struggled in Houston - and he didn't.

Richie_Rich and Tha_Dude like this.
  3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Fair enough. I just don't think he's a guy who would flourish in this system, and I kind of think the whole deal to acquire him this summer was a bit of a charade.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love Gordon have wanted him for years, glad Anderson recruited him here.

My biggest beef with Morey is that before this year he chased LOUSY shooters that could play D, instead of great shooters who were not all that great on D, I have thought that was 100% the opposite of how to build a winning program.

So glad we overpaid for Anderson and underpaid for Gordon, finally we have a TEAM that can shoot.

DD

#24 DaDakota, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Tha_Dude and basketballholic like this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

But Bazemore isn’t a lousy shooter. He was shooting around the 36-37% mark in his last 3 seasons which is at worse average, but would still be a significant improvement over most of Houston’s shooters of last season. Obviously, Eric Gordon is still definitively the better shooter but I assume there are other things that Kent Bazemore brings that Morey likes. Obviously, he isn’t shooting well at the moment, but Atlanta as a team has been struggling so I wouldn’t hold that against him when he has proven to be more consistent in the past.

Richie_Rich and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

just cuz some of his bad move sdidnt go through doesnt mean its ok to dismiss them. he was intending for his bad moves to go through, and some of them did like the midseason trade of aaron brooks for jordan hamilton.

i still think he's a good gm but not elite. no good reason to fire him even after last season since all he needed to do was build a decent team around harden in the offseaso and did just that.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep he intended it but we dont know if they were bad or not because it never happened, clutchfans thinking of something as bad move doesn't mean it really is
    [​IMG]

say for example many thought of hiring d'antoni a bad move, what if that move didnt happen in the end?
    now everybody would count that intended move as a bad move when we 'know' now it is a good move

8. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Agreed. Not only that, but Morey has proven time and time again that he is a skillful and patient opportunist GM..he's always looking one step ahead. So who could possibly criticize his "near mistakes" when they might have been part of something bigger all along? It's absurd.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This. Lawson had almost zero leverage. Remember, we were EXPECTING him to be suspended before making the deal.

Speaking of Lawson, glad there's been no new incidents.

RocketsTerps and hakeem94 like this.
  10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its not a bad move if you wanna make the 2nd round or a few confereince finals, sell some tickets, keep the team relevant. but to contend, we know mda teams were never good defensive teams. doesnt mean they're bad either they were more like average. i was all for building a 2nd round team cuz there's no way we're making the finals without a 2nd star player.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Sometimes it's the moves that you don't make that work out the best.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So luck then?

:)

DD

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The courtship of Melo and that jersey # pissed Lin off so it wasn't all that bad.

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think luck is underrated. :)

15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

My two favorite involve the Mavericks. 1) Parsons/Cuban all chummy at the club while Morey signs
    Ariza on a declining $ amount per yr contract. Some would say Parsons flat out robbed Cuban.
    Shaq.

2) Negotiationing with Boston for Rondo just to drive the cost up for the Mavs. Morey basically
    planted a bomb in the rival locker room. That bomb exploded during the playoffs that year.
    What coach Carlisle? You want me to cross what line? Oh that line(mid court)! "No one tells me
    what to do unless I let them tell me what to do & when to do it." "Just like
    assists: nobody gets assists unless I say where they get assists & when." Classic Rondo.

#35 Jatman20, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    da_juice likes this.
  16. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

The most obvious one is how he tacks on an extra nonguaranteed year to almost every free agent and rookie contract signing. Those nonguaranteed extra year significantly improve the trade value of the contracts because a capped out team can salary match in a trade and then not pick up the option year. So in effect, they trade away a player and get cap space back in return which only works under the rules because of how Morey structures that extra year. He was one of the first GMs to make that a standard practice.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

Yea I'm not sure how you could post this without being a complete Daryl Morey fanatic. Last year was horrible. Moreyball ran its course and teams just sat in the corner waiting for us to pass it. The coach Morey hired got fired, and his replacement was just as bad. Remember when Morey said coaching is overrated? Well that proved itself wrong. Also his going back & forth with Barkley was childish and unnecessary for a GM to do when his team is getting embarrassed every night. As a owner, Les had a few good reasons to fire Morey.

Luckily this year we've bounced back and he deserves credit. Let's hope he trusts MDA and doesn't try to coach the team like he did previous year

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

No, if we traded Kevin Martin and those other assets for Gasol and then signed Nene, we wouldn't have been able to trade for Harden. So in hindsight it is easy to say that it was a mistake for us to try to trade for Gasol. And yes, things ended up working out better for us.

But at the time we had no way to know that. At the time, I don't think I really even knew much about who James Harden was. That was before Harden has won his 6th man of the year award in OKC. At the time, the Rockets were stuck in mediocrity with a revolving door of role players and were desperate for a big name, star kind of player- even if it meant reaching or overpaying just a bit.

Don't forget that when the Rockets traded for Harden there were a lot of people that criticized or were unsure of that move. Would he be able to carry a team by himself after being 3rd option in OKC? Would his stats as 6th man carry over to increased minutes and usage rate as the starter and key player on a new team? Would he be able to improve and become more consistent especially in big games after having a pretty bad series in the Finals right before?

Obviously, looking back on it now, we are glad that we didn't get Gasol and ended up with Harden instead. And all of the questions of Harden have been answered in spades. But that is in hindsight. We can't criticize Morey because of what we know now from what he tried to do then.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  19. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

He now goes by the name Sam Decker. Plus he grew an inch and speaks better english

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. threepointshot3

We dodged a bullet there.

Tha_Dude likes this.