1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob praises Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 14, 2014.

1. basketballholic

The 1985 Chicago Bears say, "It don't matter who the QB is, we're gonna splatter them all."

#Watt&Clowneyissick

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I trust Romeo at his age and all the experience he has to utilize clowney and watt to the best of their abilities

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Watch him fall on his face at the combine.

Why can't he shut his mouth and let his combine numbers do the talking????

Beware of such folly gentleman

4. alibab

alibab Member

Clowney will get his check and say Foot-what? I drive a fast car (in the tune of Tracy Chapmans hit song)
    :grin:

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol I wouldn't be upset if Texans drafted him eventhough I want a qb. Having JJ Watt allows you to get away with selecting this guy... I just hope he doesn't end up being Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus is playing ok but I expected more...

6. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

If McNair is spending a 1:1 on Clowney, he better produce from day one, especially if Bridgewater, Bortles etc are doing well in the league

7. YaosDirtyStache

Haha okay dude, I want a guy with some edge on this team. A bunch of nice guys, even Watt is "intense" but comes off as too nice. Its time we got some goon in the H.

8. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

If Clowney was destroying people this year, I would be inclined to agree.

but when you put up only 3 sacks (if you are as talented as Clowney double teams should not matter) I tend not to believe that

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I can't think of a player who better exemplifies, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" over the last year.

10. YaosDirtyStache

He was on the sidelines when he saw his boy Lattimore get his knee torn to shreds. I would take a year off too. His gifts > His stats. He was playing his cards right this year, keep fresh and uninjured when you ACTUALLY play for something other than 19 year old white girl poon and cheers of 80% college bandwagoners.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Clowney took the year off trying not to get injured because he didn't want to hurt his draft stock. And plus teams would also run away from him.

He was a BEAST before then so his year off won't matter.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree his stats last year don't matter but what does matter is his lack of work ethic apparently. These high talent, low motor guys are just a huge no no in my view. I hope McNair is blowing smoke about Clowney and I think he is but I'm hoping there's a trade.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's just hard sometimes to find the right college DE to convert to an OLB if that's the route you choose to go.

14. Remii

Remii Member

You're talking about a low motor from this past season when he took the year off. That was not the case before then.

I don't know if McNair is blowing smoke or not. It's possible. But McNair has already got burned with taking a QB #1 overall before. But Mario was a successful pick. He just had a horrible defensive coordinator and he didn't have veteran pro bowl players like J.J. and Cush as a rookie.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Matt Ryan has won just as many playoff games as TJ Yates.

His receivers are carrying him. Just like Calvin is carrying Stafford and TJ has won more playoff games than him.

16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

His numbers will be off the charts for someone his size, but you can't go by stats alone. In his 2 year career at Wisconsin JJ Watt finished with 11.5 sacks....so what? He plays great and had pretty good measurables to get drafted in the 1st round.

Jadeveon will be a stud, once he gets into the NFL and gets some hard core coaching and motivation behind him. Not saying I want us to take him (I'm on the Teddy B bandwagon), but people need to stop being over critical and nitpicking every single thing that has nothing to do with football. He's been extremely polite as a player in all his interviews, yeah he got some speeding tickets, but I'm sure he speeds just as much as the next 21 year old, top 5 pick who drives a "loaned" vehicle.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's easy to say, but there have been tons of athletes who have skated by on their natural physical ability and never developed the work ethic necessary to realize their true full potential. If Clowney does get motivated, if he puts in as much as Watt does, he very well could be great. And you can hope that will happen, but you can't necessarily assume it will. A lot of times it doesn't and there's no guarantee that Clowney will be all he's capable of being.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

It basically comes down to Clowney coming in and drinking the koolaid, if he is a competitor then playing with the likes of Watt and Cushing can only motivate him.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Still think this is a smokescreen. If the Texans don't draft a QB, it means they don't think Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles deserve to go number one. Wow, OK, but they better hope Clowney dominates from day one, because that decision could haunt them until McNair is wearing diapers.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty safe bet IMO, I don't think any of those guys deserve to go number one and they wouldn't even be in consideration for it if there was a legitimate elite QB prospect this year. Bridgewater is probably the best of what they have to choose from this year, but that doesn't make him worthy of going first overall.

I think if the Texans pass on a QB in the first round it means that they see Clowney as a guy who they couldn't pass on and they trust O'Brien's judgement when it comes to drafting a QB in the later rounds, perhaps someone like Mettenburger who will drop.