1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob praises Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

There are plenty of QB's who can get the ball into the endzone. An elite front 7 is the difference between needing a solid QB, and needing a hall of famer who can carry an entire team.

I'd love to have option B, but they don't come around too often. A couple more impact weapons out there with Watt, a healthy season from Cush, and our defense could be on a San Fran, KC or Carolina level.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree, Clowney is the right pick this draft. Hopefully O'Brien and Rick Smith will see it that way.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

All of this means nothing til the combine takes place then we'll get a better ideal of what to expect.

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Lance made an interesting point the other day.

Romeo uses a 2 gap system with DEs. This is kinda scary for JJ bc he is a fantastic pass rusher and his job, in the new scheme, would be to eat up double teams to free LBs. This is not to say Romeo wouldn't work his strengths into the d but it is a question. So adding Clowney, another great pass rusher (at DE), would mean RC would have to change his scheme entirely to utilize that skill. certainly we do not want to pay JJ 100 mill to hold blocks, same would go for Clowney in the future.

Clowney would need to play OLB ala Demarcus ware.

I take a QB here 10/10. Say we take manziel and he has an average season...we could win 6,7,8 games next year. I realize this is all anecdotal, but I just believe the impact of a qb is tremendously greater than any other player.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, Matt Ryan had a great impact for the Falcons this year. Unless you have a SPECIAL QB that QB is only going to be as good as the team around him. The Rams have been paying Sam Bradford a lot of money over the years and have done nothing with him.

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

14-2 how many times? And Bradford was a bust, but now you don't have to invest as much. Don't the rams have a pretty decent pass rush anyways?

Rams has #2 sack leader and 2 in top 30. SF had 1 at 29. Seattle had 0. Denver 1 at 20. New England 1 tied for 7

7. Aydge

Aydge Member

This should be obvious to everyone.

Matt Ryan has taken that team to the playoffs now for 4 out 6 years.

Tell me who would've taken over Matt Ryan?

8. Aydge

Aydge Member

Taking a QB #1 overall is the best gamble you could possibly take. No single player comes close to affecting wins as much as a QB does. And if you get the right guy at a different position and ensure a marginal increase, you severely reduce your chance at being able to draft a superstar QB in the future.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

How did this become a thread on Matt Ryan?

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Exactly!

The texans defense wasn't terrible and again had some injury problems. Any upgrade at QB would be much more improvement to the team overall than any position player. Even going back to Redo 2011 draft, you take Kap and newton over JJ all day. If you re did most drafts the best QBs go to the top even if they are average, like Jay Cutler.

As great as JJ, Patrick Willia, Kiechly?, are I'd still take a number of QBs before them if I was starting or rebuilding a franchise.

11. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

WHAT?

You must know the type of offense San Fran runs, its all primary reads. Heck Alex Smith led them to 13-3 before him. That is San Frans offense not Kaep. His job is not to screw things up.

Heck Newton is miles better than Kaep

1 person likes this.
  12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I would take JJ over Kaep in a NY minute.

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Ok that is your opinion and probably a valid one. Also I was wrong Kap was the year before but Wilson was in that draft, would you take JJ before him?

We saw our team with JJ and virtually no QB. If we swapped Kap and JJ this year do you think we would be worse or better?

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

In the end I guess my point is if we take Clowney and any of the QBs turn out to be good/great/elite everyone will be b****ing vs if we bust on a QB and clowney succeeds there is still a grey area of "would this have made us THAT much better?"

We take Clowney, we still need a QB. We succeed with which ever QB, who cares about Clowney. I'm not so much opposed to taking Clowney as I am opposed to potentially missing our franchise QB.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

LoL, the Remii effect.

16. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Wilson is tougher, he came from pro style offense and is pretty sharp. It would really tough though. I think with the weapons we have, Wilson could make it work. However our defense would be a severe weak point without Watt.

I think we are around the same. Kaep was pretty raw coming out of school, he needed a guy like Harbaugh who could sharpen his mechanics up and with a team like San Fran around him and the previous success of Smith, I don't know how truly effective he is.

Kaep was a project, I know kubiak the play caller but could Kubiak work on a project?

17. Raven

Raven Member

Brady, Manning, Wilson, and Kaepernick would agree with you.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's the way I kind of look at it.

Divorcing yourself from the players at hand, what would be worse?

Drafting a QB that busts while passing on a DE/LB that becomes a perennial All Pro?

or

Drafting a DE/LB that busts while passing on QB who becomes a consistent Pro Bowler?

I'd say it's obviously the latter. Even changing it to a good, solid DE and Top 10 QB/occassional Pro Bowler, I think it still wins.

If we do pass on a QB and don't manage to find a good one in some other manner (joining Cleveland, Oakland, and Jacksonville in the QB abyss) AND any of the top QBs in the draft pan out, then this could go down as the biggest draft blunder in Texans history. Missing on a QB with the #1 pick is bad. Passing on one that ends up being good/great is worse.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jadeveon Clowney will participate in all drills at the combine, he says. &quot;The numbers I am going to put up are going to be amazing.&quot;</p>&mdash; Josh Kendall (@JoshatTheState) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshatTheState/statuses/424663595314864128">January 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. NotChandlerParsons

Heck, I'm sold. Get it done Bob.