1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob praises Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Pancakes was on the radio saying there is no way we don't go QB with the first pick and if course was talking JFF should go number 1

2. htown1984

htown1984 Member

He went as far to say that he will eat the Chronicles Front Page if they dont pick QB.. LOL (Like he doesnt do that already )

1 person likes this.
  3. Remii

Remii Member

When was the last time Pancakes was right about a Texans draft pick...??? Lol.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Bet he won't guarantee us taking Manziel #1 if it is a QB.

I also believe we will take QB if we end up keeping the #1 overall pick. But if we don't I would not be upset with taking Clowney with our first round pick.

If we were to wait on QB, I'd rather go after a guy like Aaron Murray over Zach Mettenburger.

5. Remii

Remii Member

You don't like Tajh Boyd...??? Have to worry about him because he had Sammy Watkins in his receiving core but I like him better than Murray (but I like Murray too _ he's a gamer)...

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

whatever QB we get just needs to be a guy that can extend the play.. Eys behind his back.. I dont want a slow QB... He 40 needs to be a good one..

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't see Boyd becoming anything more than a solid backup who can step in for you when your starter is down. Like you said he had guys like Hopkins and Watkins in that offense.

Murray has had no top flight receiver since the 2010 season before AJ left for the NFL, yet his stats have been pretty consistent and his INTs have dropped since his second year which was his first without a go-to-guy at wideout.

He'll have many more weapons besides his running game in the pro's to benefit from. I'd take a chance, in the 3rd, on him.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, but he was basically a man playing against boys when he steps up he'll be playing against the elite of college football that have been playing against each other for years. He's numbers were good, but weren't that spectacular and he has well known endurance issues for a player his age.

I know the 'man among boys' thing is true for all the top players, but I would just expect him to be more dominate to be considered a number one pick.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I went into the season hearing good things about Boyd. He was being mentioned as a potential top pick before the season. I watched a few games early on and wasn't impressed. It just seemed like his stats were a product of making VERY easy throws. Lots of stuff at the line of scrimmage. I don't think his game is going to translate well to the NFL and if it does, it's going to be a work in progress. He's not going to be a guy who could come in and start within his first 2-3 years, if ever.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

trading back, grabbing BPA, and picking up a 1st in next year's draft may be the smart strategy. That pick could turn into a Watson, Marriotta, or Hundley. I get the impression that O'Brien is not opposed to bringing in a vet to play this year anyway.

11. htown1984

htown1984 Member

If you can trade back in the Top 5-10 and still get an Extra Pick this year and a 1st rounder next year, then do itm but it will be hard.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The thing is, if there's not a QB in this draft that stands out as an obvious franchise guy to the Texans, I doubt another team will feel all that different.

People always point to the RG3 trade, but that's the exception to the rule. Kansas City was dying to trade out of the top slot a year ago and found no takers. The Vikings traded down from No. 3 two years ago to let the Browns select Trent Richardson... and only got a 4th, 5th and 7th for doing so.

The Texans have a huge need at QB, and if they don't see any of the three options (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles) as a legit franchise guy, then I struggle to see another team being so sold on one of them that they'd trade a future first (in addition to their high pick this year). I could be wrong, but the only way I see the market becoming good enough for an impact trade is if there's a consensus franchise QB... and in that case, I'd rather the Texans just pick that guy themselves.

1 person likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really good point. Odds are that we'll be forced to make the pick at #1.

14. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think Tajh is NFL ready, may have to sit on the bench a year to learn a NFL system unless a team implement some college schemes for him to run. But he has a strong arm (his receivers don't have to come back for the ball), accuracy good not great, not that tall but he's built like a freaking running back and can take big hits. Plus he's a smart kid. He's the guy that reminds me most of Russell out of the QBs in this draft. And out of the QBs in this draft _ I think he can be just as good as any of them.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I worry about Murray's knee at this point. He wasn't super fast to begin with. But I still like him though.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I think St Louis has a huge need at QB... But you don't hear reports of them interested in drafting Teddy or Johnny. Those two lil guys probably wouldn't last an entire season in that division... And unless Cleveland really wants Johnny _ none of these terms may want to trade up for a QB. Especially with the QB crop coming out next year.

But a team may want to move up to draft Clowney, especially if he runs a ridiculous 40 time at the combine. That's why I think McNair is sending out "Clowney Signals" now.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Remember you don't have to be the world's top flight athlete to play the QB position in BOB's system.

You could pretty much say the same thing about Mettenburger but unless they're someone like RGIII or Cam Newton that constantly rely on their playmaking ability with their legs I wouldn't put too much stock into these guys not being able to recover completely from these knee injuries.

18. Remii

Remii Member

You're probably right and very good point _ just look at Foles in Philly. But I still like Boyd better and I think he'll make the better pro if he lands with the right coaching staff. Kapernick doesn't have great QB awareness at this point because he has a great offensive line but he takes a sac around every 10 pass attempts but San Francisco still wins games because he's mobile. Same with Russell.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

your still with this little guy thing.. Isnt Drew Brees, Russell Wilson small and there pretty good and have lasted a couple of seasons in the league..
    Drew Brees is 6 FT and Wilson is 5"11 (Teddy is 6'2-6'3 and weighs 205 Lbs (he will get more muscle on him) hes a young kid.. Manziel is 6'0-6/1 and weighs 210 Lbs.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I'm talking lil as in body weight... A guy like Johnny _ I don't worry about him getting hurt taking off and running, I worry about him standing in the pocket and taking big hits by 300 + pound lineman (same with Teddy). Vick got most of his injuries in the pocket trying to pass and not by running. Brees got broke off in the pocket as well. Of course any QB can get hurt in the pocket but more so with them.

I don't put Russell in that group because he's thick and stout.