1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob praises Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 14, 2014.

1. RocketsSpirit

RocketsSpirit New Member

all in for clowney and boyd

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Or, if we suck again next year, there's always Hundley or Mariota.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That's exactly where he would play if the Texans drafted him. You don't draft 3-4 DE's that high in Romeo's scheme because you want them rushing the passer.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'm not even sure I'd want them to use a 2nd rounder on a QB. At this point, I'm all for drafting Clowney, bringing in a vet QB, and drafting a QB from a vastly superior 2015 QB class.

Low motor may keep him from realizing full potential, but it doesn't make him a reach. Like Mario, Clowney will avg double digit sacks regardless of whether or not he gives 100% every snap.

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Winston and Mariotta are projected top 3 picks at this stage as quarterbacks in the 2015 draft. Most argue that Winston is better than Bridgewater due to size. Mariotta - an arguement could be made either way.

The big question is - are the Texans going to suck enough in the 2015 to be able grab either of these two? If no, are any of the prospects rated after these two better than Teddy Bridgewater?

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Does Romeo use a 2 gap or 1 gap 3-4? I thought it was a 2 gap, which would make OLB an even more difficult move for Clowney.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would rather have Clowney bulk up a bit and play DE in the 3-4. As is, he's only 10-15lbs lighter than Watt right now. I just don't think we'd get the most out of Clowney if he's not coming out of the 3-point stance.

If we're drafting a guy to play OLB, Barr is much more natural for the position.

7. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Mariotta is typically considered to be a better prospect than Bridgewater due to physical traits as well, but I wouldn't expect to see either of them wherever we end up drafting. I've said before that my opinion on Bridgewater could change during the combine. He'd have to show up with added bulk & larger hands than expected, but if he does, I'd be more supportive of taking him over Clowney.

If he instead shows up with smallish hands & a sub 220lbs frame... I'd rather take the generational prospect this season in Clowney, then grab a Brett Hundley, Braxton Miller, Jeff Driskel, or Keeton in the 1st-2nd round next year.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is Clowney really that good?

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Physically? Yes. Guys that size have no business being so fast.

Can we expect him to take plays off ala Mario Williams? Sure. It will probably keep him from reaching his full potential, but like Williams, he'll still be a lock for double digit sacks almost every year. I'd expect Clowney to be more productive than Mario simply because Mario never had a JJ Watt eating up blockers and leaving him 1-on-1.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Hundley, Driskel, Marcus, Jamies, and Hogan _ I'll take either one. But may not have to worry about that if they take Boyd or Garoppolo in a later round this year. That is if they don't go QB in the 1st.

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Could be they have info on a potential trade partner's interest in Clowney .Regardless it's strange to come out with this at such an early stage .

12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Leef was considered the better prospect than Manning due to physical traits as well

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He is an amazing tackler. He just grabs guys, stops them and brings them down. I guess if we drafted him we could trade Mercilus and a couple picks to get another good player.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Good points... But I think Mack may be more natural at the position than both and he's a beast. Whoever gets Barr and Mack won't be mad they didn't get Clowney. It's some good pass rushers in this draft. DTs too and the Texans need both.

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

He had 28 solo tackles and 3 sacks this year .. where is the amazing part ?

16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

If we're running a 2 gap system, DT is a huge need. Our little DT's can get by in Wade's one gap, but any of them in a 2 gap would be laughable.

Mack/Barr is almost a push in my eyes. Both are fantastic OLB prospects. I love Mack's hips. He gets a ridiculous amount of leverage coming around the corners. Still think Barr is the better pure pass rusher, but Mack is probably the better all around player for the position.

I'd rather draft either of them than try to force Clowney into their position.

17. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

See: True Freshman & Sophmore seasons. Physical ability.

Not looking beyond the most recent stat line leads to passing on Alshon Jeffrey's for obviously inferior talents like Brian Quick & AJ Jenkins.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I like those guys, but it's some good pass rushers in this draft going later too.

Louis Nix is a defensive player I wouldn't mind if the Texans trade down and draft as well. A DT isn't a sexy pick but it's not too many dudes like that walking around. He'll consistently occupy 2-3 offensive lineman. Great 3-4 defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, etc have a big guy like that in the middle.

You can always find a fast athletic linebacker but it's hard to find a 340 pound man that can bench press a house.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I understand the hype around Clowney, but I would really be careful if I'm drafting him.

I don't think he has the motor to live up to the #1 pick.

He is basically the anti-Watt. All athleticism, no work. Huge red flag for me once he's getting paid. That's why if we aren't taking a QB at #1, I would love for us to trade down.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

An elite front 7 won't matter if your QB can't get the ball in the end zone.