1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob McNair: ILB, WR are a priority

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>McNair: ILB, WR among Texans' top priorities (via @<a href="https://twitter.com/NickScurfield">NickScurfield</a>): <a href="http://t.co/47KZKK6Q" title="http://goo.gl/qDNVt">goo.gl/qDNVt</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/297528761618935808" data-datetime="2013-02-02T02:15:59+00:00">February 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

told yall...he mentioned this before...he mentioned it at the end of the season as well..

he really understood our teams weakness at ILB without Cushing...

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Priorities at WR and ILB are obvious. I'm glad he's mentioning WR though since it's likely that the Texans/Walter love affair is over.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Uncle Bob, keep your cards close to your vest, ok.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Eh. We spent a high 3rd (our 2nd overall pick) and a 4th on WR in last years draft and those two only had 16 catches between them. Unless we use our first or second rounder at WR, I don't think there's a real chance we're replacing Walter via the draft. Free agency is an option, but I'm not sure who's available who's better that we can afford. When was the last time we brought in a FA WR who made a significant contribution? Kevin Walter, who did nothing in Cincinnati and didn't really contribute until his 2nd year here? Andre Davis, who had one decent receiving year in 2007 (which was only about as good as Walter this year)?

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

should we address the right side of the oline?

the running game hasn't been as efficient.

man, i miss brisel and winston.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

yep now we just have to wait 3 or 4 more years on schaub till he sees what all of us with functional eyes see already.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They were very young on the right side. I think they'll be better with a season under their (very large) belts. Definitely need to add depth but I don't think they need to start over, again, on the right.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Cordarrelle Patterson...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vx6pGFvDqt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If available in the 2nd round...pick him up

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The more i saw of him on the net...man...kids ability to change directions like that...YACCCCCCCCCCC

he wont be available by the time we pick in the 1st round...he is that good

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Knowing this team and the coaches, you won't see a rookie WR starting, so Walter is probably coming back unless they hand over the other starting spot to Martin or Jean.

Still can't see the benefit of using a 1st round pick on a WR when our QB's arm strength or the coaches' play calling are questionable when it comes to big down the field plays.

12. 713

713 Member

QB should be the ONLY priority for this team unless you are aiming for mediocrity.

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

Not how team sports work...

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hmmm...., I think he did & he gave us a hint at the same time. They're going after one of the stud NT's in this draft. ;)

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

What about an actual special teams coach? :confused:

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Damn this Patterson kid looks nice.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can not see how they can significantly address the WR position through the draft...I have a difficult time believing we're going to acquire a real difference maker at that position without going through free agency.

This team lacks explosiveness. It has 2 real playmakers on the offensive side of the ball...it needs another. The days of addressing the WR position with Andre and a group led by Kevin Walter needs to end.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

We could use a good ST coach.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree completely. Historically rookie WR's do not contribute right away, that's changing now in the modern era, but what the Texans run is old school. We need a veteran WR that can plug-in and make the offense more dynamic right away, make Schaub' life easier right away. Even aiming low for a guy like Santana Moss is a safer play than drafting WR in round 1. An easy move we know will make us better, that's what we need.

At the same time you have to plan long term, we do need a WR to develop but we're not in position to take one in the first round this year.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Hah Second round!!!!

He is the most gifted WR in the draft is projected to go top 15 most likely to Miami 12 or Bills 9