1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unbelievable news-- Cato to participate in summer league!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 9, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Dog bite shelves Thomas

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Rockets forward Kenny Thomas was hospitalized on Monday after he was bitten in the face by the dog of Rockets assistant coach Jim Boylen, forcing Thomas to skip the Rockets' games in the Los Angeles Summer Pro League.

Thomas was greeting Boylen at the airport before the team's flight to Los Angeles when he was bitten.

The team will, however, still include one Rockets veteran. Center Kelvin Cato will get a chance to do something he could do only occasionally last season -- play for the Rockets -- by joining the team for its four Los Angeles games.

Cato, who played in just 35 games last season, will not play in the Rocky Mountain Revue. He will be replaced by former Gonzaga center Axel Densch.

Last season's Rockets rookies -- Jason Collier, Dan Langhi and Sean Colson -- will play for both teams along with this season's draft picks, Eddie Griffin and Terence Morris. Venson Hamilton, a second-round Rockets draft pick in 1999, will also play for the Rockets in both summer leagues.

The rest of the team will consist of free agents: guards Saul Smith of Kentucky, Senecca Wall of Sam Houston and Darren Kelly of Texas, forwards Alex Jensen of Utah and Omar Sneed of Memphis, and guard/forward Oscar Torres of the Venezuelan national team.

Boylen is scheduled to coach both teams.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/964080

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

2. alaskansnowman

<h1>OH MY GOD</h1>

Cato is actually going to do something to better his game?!!!?!!?!!?

What has the world come to?

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good, he needs confidence and playing against summer league talent should provide that. Cato is in a good position, he has skills we've all saw is triple double but he lacks confidence. Thats all, confidence. Most players in Cato's situation are 75lbs overweight. Still a nasty contract though.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

WHAT!!!???? I thought hell froze over when the Malone to Houston thread started!!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Not so fast...

Cato Out 6 Months
    By JONATHAN FEAGEN
    Copyright 101 Houston Chronical

Though I oftentimes underexpect things of Maurice Taylor, I certainly never underexpected another injury for Kelvin Cato. Kelvin was sitting on the can in his suburban, Lazyville mansion when he threw out his back reaching for another roll of toilet paper underneath the sink. This has all been made up. I'm so funny.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 09, 2001).]

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

LOL! Hebe! The sick thing is, if you and Cat's threads were separate, I would think that Cat's is a joke, and yours is serious. That's how pathetic Cato's work ethic has become! I wonder if they're having snowball fights in hell right now. . .

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 09, 2001).]

7. New Kid On The Block

Damnit Achebe, I was starting to get happy.......

------------------

8. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

The Rockets have perhaps one of the most intelligent front offices in the league rite? And yet that magician Kelvin Cato managed to make $42 million dollars disappear in one act.....i think it was titled 'The Preseason'....So how bout if Kelvin works some magic that returns some of that DISGUSTING contract...what am i gettin at? kelvins new show, "THE LA SUMMER LEAGUE" should attract more intrest from the consumer if the show proves to be more than we've come to expect. Soooo, Kelvin has a shot to take this show on the road on his own...

------------------
    all players come and go, but kelvin cato will alwayz remain (on tha bench at least)

9. Colby

Colby Member

Glad to see Cato put forth some effort. I still think he could be a servicable center, but he needs to get to work.

A good Cato solves all our C problems. So do magic pixies.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

10. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If Cato actually put forth effort he could be more than a "serviceable" center, he could be a good center. Unfortunately he has no heart.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

11. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

I guarantee all we will ever be talking about in the BBS is about what Cato could be, and not what what he IS. I have yet to see any sign of a NBA player in him. Signing him to that contract was one of the worst moves in Rocket history.

------------------
    "Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt", Shaq regarding Hakeem's play in the 95 Finals

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Was this an effort on Cato's part? or did the Rockets order him down there?

Maybe Rudy & Co, want to take one last look at Cato, to see if he is worth keeping or not.

If he plays bad, they might be forced with trading him for a towell boy from another team!

------------------

13. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Wait a minute! Wait a Minute! Do we really need Cato's wonderful Karma to be poured all over our 2 great new playa's from the 2001 Draft?

I don't think so.

Haven't WE been lead to believe Cato's ruining of chemistry.

Just because, it seems, Cato wants to show up a few rookies with his slobbering antics.

Cato needs a new home and maybe, just maybe we are trying to showchase him to a few scouts.

------------------
    Keep Mo Ta & now we have Ta Mo

[This message has been edited by r-fan-since-81 (edited July 09, 2001).]

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We could use a couple of good towel boys

------------------

15. IVFL

IVFL Member

I am glad to see that Alex jenson is playing this summer. Sure he is no super star but he is a solid garbage player. A guy that will do the dirty work, I for one would like to see him make the team or be a IR guy.

Unlike Cato who thinks the dirty work is when you play the game. Mabey jsut mabey playing with the rookies and other guys trying to make the team Cato will relize his vast potential and actually do something, oh I dont know, like get a rebound.

------------------

16. Five

Five New Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This is very bad news for all Rockets fans. If Cato goes crazy and throws up say 10 points, six boards and five blocks in one of these rec games we may extend him to a max contract over the next 10 years...

------------------

17. Band Geek Mobster

Well I was bored and thought I'd have some fun with the search engine, I just put in "Cato sucks" and this is what I got in return.

The following are Cato Topics since January...

Cato out again??!!

Cato by the Dollars

Cato told to take his time in returning

Just Awful

What the hell is up with Shandon and Cato?!?!

Something has to be wrong with Cato

Kelvin Cato Sucks

The REAL problem with Kelvin Cato

Cato really really sucks!

Cato is actually good (rimmy throws a curve)

Colson on IR???!!! NO! CATO, PLEASE!

Cato sucks!!

Trade Cato for M. Olowokandi while we can

I saw CATO (EWWWWWWWWW!!!)

Cato... Guess we're stuck with him...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

18. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Don't you see what Cato's doing?! His theory is that he plays in the Summer League, then gets 'injured' (broken nail, stubbed toe etc...) and sits out the rest of the season. It's all part of his master plan!!!

------------------
    Homer Simpson: "I'm gonna tell you 3 things that will haunt you for the rest of your life! You've ruined your father, crippled your family, and baldness is hereditary!"

19. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Wrong Forum.

Cato not worth it!!

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

of course he can stink it up and kill any trade value he might still have.

------------------