1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UN and Israel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why would you not demand more UN resolutions against the dehumanizing treatment of women and gays in most Muslim countries then?

P.S.: You didn't actually confirm or deny my speculation.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A lot of propaganda on both sides.

Einstein’s views regarding Israel, what little we know of them, were wise and prescient:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/08/einstein-warned-israeli-mistreatment-arabs.html

3. durvasa

I have no problem with any resolution condemning specific human rights abuses against vulnerable populations. The less legal protections there are for those populations, the more important such resolutions would be.

I thought I did.

If you think at some point in my life I may have been surrounded by anti-Israel propagandists, then I’ll deny it.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you know how bad of a look it is for you whenever someone has any disagreements with you on this subject matter, you automatically assume they have been influenced my Islamic extremism?

So you assume because the poster has a Hindu sounding username, you just go to that?

It's pretty pathetic and borderline racist which I actually didn't expect coming from you.

You have become a unhinged zealot when it comes to this specific subject matter dude .

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But you also agree that the proportion of anti-Israel resolutions is absurd.

The reason I suspect bias through certain influences is that you are a pretty rational poster, but somehow move from recognizing that the ratio is absurd to justifying it because of "context", which isn't a rational argument, because any other human rights abuse also has "context".

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry, but you are the one constantly calling me names and making ad hominem attacks. I don't know if you have noticed, but I actually don't respond in kind in your case.

I don't assume that they have been influenced by Islamic extremism. Sadly, prejudice against Jews and hate against Israel is not a characteristic of Islamic extremism only, it is a characteristic of mainstream Islam. There are several posters on here whom I respect, including yourself, who just cannot get that out of their system.

7. fchowd0311

The fact that you think I have any animus or bias against Jewish people at least reaffirms to me that you have become unhinged and are just swinging blindly.

Go list my 'ad hominem' attacks and I garauntee you that most of them are posts AFTER you made an assumption about my personal life and how I was brainwashed. So ya, those attacks were well deserved towards you.

You keep on repeating this premise that I don't like Jews. That's pretty ****ed up and you know it. Nothing in my post history even remotely implies this.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry if that's what it came across as. I don't think I said anything about you liking Jews or not. But you don't like Israel and I think it would be naive to think that your bias has nothing to do with influences you have been exposed to, because that's true for everyone.

9. fchowd0311

The biases of being exposed to Southeast Texas suburbia culture throughout childhood.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I lived in Texas for a year. Most of the news were local. World news almost didn't exist. Really a big difference to what you see in European countries.

11. fchowd0311

That post was in reference to me.

I was being sarcastic, making fun of your premise .

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I understand. I'm just saying that any bias regarding an issue such as Israel for someone growing up in Texas and now 30 years old and older would most likely not come from news media.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anyway, anyone is entitled to their opinions. I just found it worth pointing out that the ratio of UN condemnations of Israel vs. UN condemnations of the rest of the world makes it hard for a neutral observer to continue to take the UN seriously anymore. Same with regard to having Saudi Arabia on the Human Rights Council.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He is an advocate for the genocide going on in Rohingya, I’ve actually never seen such a thing.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. durvasa

That Arab countries have chosen to make use of international bodies over and over to apply pressure against Israel and its backers in the US is not an "absurdity" to me. Should there be more use of the UN to push back against human rights abuses in Islamic countries? I think so, yes. But I also think there are geopolitical reasons why the US (and its liberal Western allies) don't pursue it more strenuously which you seem to be glossing over. Again, not an absurdity to me. Just the reality of international relations, which is complex and multi-factorial.

Exiled likes this.
  16. durvasa

ATW, your arguments that we should expect proportionality would also make more sense to me if the UN was a third party observer that comes up with these resolutions on its own. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation given what the UN actually is. And its why I also don't look at the frequency of resolutions as some sort of metric for how bad an actor a given country is on the international stage. That would be absurd.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Who would ever think that being invaded by Egypt would make Israel apprehensive of Egypt?

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You don't, but clearly, that's the narrative that's being pushed by those behind the resolutions.

19. Nivos

Nivos Member

Some of you guys just cant handle the reality that jews will have their own country.
    You have countless Muslim countries, countless Christian countries and a few Hindu countries.
    Regardless of the justification of how Israel as a sovereign country decides to protect its borders, to look at how Israel is constanstly marked as the source of all Evil in the Muslim world, "Liberal" media and hypocretes Lefties is disgusting.
    I have a lot of critisism of the Israeli government, but I always come from the assumption that Israel is a legitimate country and it is based on a true need of the jews to have their own country and strong army to defend it, and it is based on what history taught us.
    Once the Arab world and some of the European countries will accept Israel's existance, not as a historic mistake, but as a reality and a right, its critisism will be accepted as legitimate.
    Until the, I view the UN as a hostile organisation to Israel, controlled by the Arab world, and as one- its decisions automatically will not be considered honest and the "Human Rights" mask will get exposed time after time.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. durvasa

I no more accept the right of Jewish settlers to carve out a state for the Jewish people necessitating the expulsion of the indigenous population in Palestine, as I accept the right of persecuted European Christian settlers to form a country in the Americas necessitating the expulsion of the indigenous population here. But what’s done is done, regardless of whether we think it was the right thing at the time.

A majority of people in “The Arab World” are ok with a two state solution, contingent on certain conditions being met. Same for people in Israel. There isn’t enough will on either side to make it happen.