1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UN and Israel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There are certainly fanatical crazies who do not want peace on the Israeli side of things as well. Sadly, Rabin got murdered by one of them.

The difference is that the fanatical crazies are in the minority in Israel, and if they murder someone, they get prosecuted.

If a Palestinian murders Israelis, he gets celebrated as a hero.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Again, that's your bias on the matter. This is what we are lead to believe Iran is like too. I guarantee you, most Iranians as individuals do not want the demise of the US. When you group them up, push them into a corner, and then have them speak as a mob, this is what you get.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I actually think the video makes a pretty good argument for why there is more to this than Israel being Jewish. A big part of this is Israel as a symbol for Western colonialism in the Middle East, and using UN resolutions as an instrument to push back against that.

Exiled likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I was looking for a more material reason to support Israel, but I give you props for an honest answer.

No, it doesn't.

No, I don't. Enlighten me.

Agreed.

I think this depends on who you ask and how far back in history you want to go but I agree with your general sentiment.

Like I said, I see this as a zero sum situation. It's either Israel is destroyed, or all of its enemies are. That is not a conflict I wish to see happen or that I wish to participate in. Refusing to participate in or bring about such a conflict, even if Israel is not the instigator, is not 'vile' by most moral standards.

I'm agnostic and/or neutral about the conflict in terms of who has a right to what, etc, but I share values with Israelis and would openly and happily welcome each and every single one of them into my country, including dedicating the resources to make it happen.

First and foremost, I'm on the side of peace. However, that to me is a lost cause. So, barring that, I'm on the side of my own country first. As such, in terms of participation in a conflict, that earns a big no thanks from me.

#44 DonnyMost, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Exiled likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Depends on how you define "crazies", I guess.

http://www.pewforum.org/2016/03/08/israels-religiously-divided-society/

A vast majority (85% of settlers in West Bank, and 60% of Jews in Israel) think God gave Israel to the Jewish people. Personally, I consider that fanaticism. Just because it's part of their core religion, that doesn't make it non-fanatical.

48% of Jewish Israelis, including 72% of right-leaning Jewish Israelis, agree with the statement "Arabs should be expelled or transferred from Israel". That's over a million people. Seems pretty fanatical to me.

Exiled likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it was worthwhile of you to point out the disparity in the number of resolutions condemning Israel for human rights violations, and those passed that condemn countries like Syria, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, and other obvious violators of human rights. In fact, the disparity is absurd. When the head of the UN itself points out that the disparity is a real problem, people should listen, in my opinion.

Having said that, and having watched all the videos you posted here, ATW, videos that unsurprisingly have an agenda (that's not a criticism, just a "fact of life"), the makeup of the General Assembly means that this will be an ongoing situation. Israel could help itself tremendously if she would stop building settlements on the West Bank, and remove much of the population they have encouraged to move there. My hope is that as an incentive to bring the Palestinians to participate in serious peace talks, they offer to hand over those settlements intact, instead of blowing them up if they leave. That's something I consider a real possibility (destroying the settlements) if Israel does agree to abandon the majority, but not all, of the settlements (I think some settlements should remain, or there would be a heck of a lot of public unrest in Israel). The gigantic wall Israel is building isn't helping a bit, except to encourage the idea, which has some basis in fact, in my opinion, that Israel today is a state practicing apartheid. I think she is.

Building those settlements continually undermines efforts to reach a peace treaty that would provide for an independent Palestinian state, something required if peace is ever to be truly achieved there. Netanyahu has no interest in giving the Palestinians their own state free of Israeli occupation, in my opinion. He's continually proven this with his own actions. I'll add that while Israel is a liberal democracy, their system of government makes it almost impossible for a political party to stay in power without including the tiny political parties inhabited by extremists, and they demand increasing the settlements on the West Bank. That's part of Netanyahu's political calculations. What is needed, and you mentioned the tragedy of his death, is another Rabin. Someone with the political juice to bring about peace, instead of just making noise, which is all Netanyahu does, in my opinion. Anyway, interesting topic, ATW.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Most people don't realize this: most Israeli settlements are on the Israeli side of the wall.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why does it not surprise me that you'd post pictures that depict Jews as dogs.....

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

"This is how Israel stole Palestinians' Land"
    re-read the line above a few times in order for you to comprehend...... hopefully

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

If you've paid some attention ....you may notice how you humiliated your self when atw agreed to your comment, this should be an eye-opener event , stick to what you're paid for... Russian agendas

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And it depicts the Palestinians as the person, and the Israelis as the dog....like I said, it's not really surprising that you'd be drawn to propaganda that depicts Jews as dogs. You just can't help yourself I suppose.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

for someone who is taken Zimmerman as his idol, I won't be surprised if you lick you fingers out of joy after each time you type Jews as dogs! I give you credit for attempting to pathetically act sensitive with your drama, however that reached an eczema level..slow down ...Queen

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL WTF are you even talking about? Do you think this schizophrenic word salad is a defense for what you did? Do you think if you simply make no sense that it will deflect from you being called on your BS?

For what it's worth, I don't blame you for your backwards ways, I know that many people had to fail you in order to make you what you are now. That said, you have to try to be better.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

I will help you here ... you're saying that you don't have a recollection memories of the BS comments you had spewed over this board, and I do actually believe you

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unrelated, did you know that there have been studies showing that up to 67% of marriages in Saudi Arabia are incestuous in nature?

Did you also know that even one instance of incest can greatly increase the chance of having mentally r****ded offspring and that chance increases rapidly with each additional generation that is inbred?

Again, those things are completely unrelated to anything else being discussed here, but I find them interesting to know.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Oh my...kinda of weird to see a highschool drop out talking about studies...late effort isn't!
    I would treat it the same way I treat studies that said 1 out of 3 German women cheat on their suppose, I won't go far to say this what generated the Nazis movements
    or like one out of 4 children's molested by their 1st degree relatives, I won't shift blame for the pathetic person you're to your Uncle, don't have time for this BS

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe im naive or living under a rock but Israel has seemed more peaceful the last couple of years

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....he's a special one, that's for certain. I'm not sure what specifically is wrong with him.....but I'm pretty sure it's serious and very unfortunate.