1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UN and Israel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason IMO why there are so many UN resolutions like this is because UN resolutions only matter to the insignificant countries thus the insignificant countries put all of the time and effort into getting them passed....and insignificant countries generally hate Israel.

I don't see any reason to abolish the UN though, just ignore it.

2. conquistador#11

touchy subject.
    "I'm not touching this with a 10ft pole, Bill. " drexlerism

"fine people. both sides." unknown

peleincubus likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

TIL that Germany is insignificant .

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Here is another one, just looking back at UN insanity in 2017.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's anything but pragmatic.

The level of creepiness is about the same as when someone relates my posts to being German. Nothing creepy about it.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Which is exactly what is happening right now. Watching this video without bias should answer a lot of questions.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Germany not voting with the USA on this one is disgusting, and another reason Merkel has lost the plot and finally needs to go. I wish we had term limits.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tying this back to the Jerusalem thread.

I don't see how the solution here is to have the U.S. entangled further in this, either diplomatically or militarily.

I have a realist view of the situation, and it is very grim. There will be no rest for Israel until either it or its enemies are completely destroyed.

I have no interest in seeing my country involved in such a conflict (or doing anything which will encourage such a conflict), other than providing safe haven for Israelis whom wish to leave.

Nook and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Exactly. With Saudia Arabia solidifying power in the region, this will only further destabilize the region and tie up our resources.

It seems the proponents of further entangling the US in the Middle East are just doing it to spite Muslims.

10. dmoneybangbang

Why do you want less stability in the Middle East?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've asked, repeatedly, for someone to give me good cause to support Israel in this. Nobody can seem to provide an answer.

I've tried to come up with my own reasons, but outside of shared values and a nice place to park our tanks in the Middle East, I can't really come up with any reason why I should care.

Exiled likes this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Grief over WW2? That plays a big part for me, and why I'm hesitant to take a side here. Me having an Islamic bloodline (but being a fervent agnostic) I almost feel shamed when I don't support Isreal in everything they do. Like friends will say "you only support Palestine because of your parents". The issue is, it's hard to be mad at a country and a religion. If it was one or the other it might be easier, and heck, we might be able to fix this faster.

Nook, Deckard and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I love & respect Jewish culture, believe in their right to a nation-state, but danm...wish they'd stop building settlements in occupied territory.

Nook, Deckard and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because it's the right thing to do.

Not supporting Israel means that you are indeed taking a side. You saying "providing safe haven for Israelis who wish to leave" is a clear indication that you know exactly what "no interest in seeing my country involved in such a conflict" means.

If the USA weren't backing Israel, the Muslim countries around it would have massacred Israelis a long time ago already. They grow up being indoctrinated with hate against Jews and Israel.

The Muslim countries are the aggressors. They are the ones consistently committing grave human rights violations.

Not supporting those who are attacked and are the only bastion of freedom in that entire region would be a vile thing to do. It wouldn't mean being neutral.

It would mean being a traitor to Western values, and to humanitarian values.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

I personally say give them some of the southern states, and let them do what they want. Florida, it's yours. Alabama? Roll Jewish Tide. Georgia, sorry Barkley but now you're a foreigner and your accent is annoying. Then we back-fill those states with other states, congrats Puerto Rico, Guam and the Moon. It's win-win.

16. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

BTW, have been baptised as an Armenian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox & Maronite (Catholic) Christian...but consider myself an Arab American.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think you're oversimplifying it. To support Israel under this plan you are taking away from someone else. To say the Palestinians have no right to that area is flawed. You can say I support a safe space for Israel, but that doesn't mean at any cost possible. I don't think you're being fair here, and the whole dichotomy that you're setting up here, of good vs. evil is also not fair either. I have no dog in this fight, and just want what's best for BOTH sides. We are all human, and no matter how much one side wants to dehumanize the other I won't fall for it.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not dehumanizing anyone. I am happy for the Palestinians to have their own state. It has in fact been offered to them many times. They would rather keep launching rockets and building attack tunnels. They funnel all the money from the EU, the UN and NGOs into corrupt politicians' pockets or into aggression against Israel, rather than investing into education. Look at Israeli nobel prize winners vs. Palestinian nobel prize winners. Look at Israeli startups - so much innovative spirit. When will the Palestinians realize that peaceful coexistence is the answer, rather than continued hate and aggression.

cml750 likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

I respect your opinion, but have a hard time believing you're being objective on this one. They, like the Israeli's don't want another home, they want their home. Israel also has a **** ton more money here man. A lot. I mean since WW2 Israel has seen $115 billion in aid from the US, compare that to the $4 billion Palestine has gotten. The US also spends a ton more in military arming of Israel, with almost nothing to Palestine.

Again, this is like Pakistan and India. It's a separation along state and religious lines, which in turn produces a hard fought conflict. If Israel truly wants peace, they along with Palestine need to invite one and another into each other's homes. No matter what you say, I haven't had a strong sense of that being a true approach by either side. I think a lot of countries are pouring money and resources into both sides, but peace isn't up to them. It's up to the Israeli's and Palestinians and to be frank, I haven't seen a strong commitment from either toward it.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Gotta like the fact that a country like China - which has no legitimate claim to Xinjiang, Tibet, South China Sea, or Taiwan - condemns the US for moving its Israel embassy to Israel's capital (which was partly acquired through SELF-DEFENSE).