1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ultrabooks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketshopeful, Jan 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rocketshopeful

Anyone have any advice on buying one of these?

I am looking for one that has a solid state drive, backlist keyboard, and preferably over 5 hours batter life, and no bigger than 13 inches. The "instant on" feature is one I am not sure if I am over-valuing so much. I am also wondering if I need to be going the ultrabook route and there may be a laptop with the features I need. I thought this would be a lot easier. I like a lot of asus's stuff, but they seem to be missing some features here.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Look at Toshiba's ultrabook. Toshiba and Asus are highly rated among consumers.

I'm using Toshiba's light Portege line (13.3" screen, 3.2 lb weight) and I love it. It's slightly thicker than their new ultrabook and not as shiny, but it's a great notebook that I was more than impressed with when I got it.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

wait just a few months for the ivy bridge units to ship.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone know when they'll start shipping models that supports more than 4GB ram?

That stopped me from spending ~1 grand on one.

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Totally agree on the Portege; it's an amazing machine that's half the price of a Macbook Air at virtually the same weight, and 7 hours of battery life. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but heck, buy one and buy an iPad on top of it if necessary; or add a high quality SSD and still come out under a grand.

If you really want an ultrabook though, I really recommend you wait. Seems like CES has been absolutely flooded with some gorgeous designs at both 13" and 14", and the IvyBridge processor should really amp up the graphics capabilities; if 2011 was a tablet year, 2012 will def be an ultrabook year.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Dell has on coming out also that should be worth a look if you want windows OS

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Wait until Windows 8 dude. Night and day difference in the UI - it uses tiles and it's optimized for touch.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You think laptops are going to have touch screens?

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I got my fiancee an ASUS Zenbook U31X. It's quite nice. Same specs (13.3", i5 1.7 GHz, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM) and profile as a MacBook Air, but $250 cheaper. The U21X is 11.1" if you want to go even smaller, but the clock speed is slightly lower and the SSD is half the size.

Only thing is: keyboard isn't backlit.

#10 Depressio, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

at least wait till the end of this week. CES is happening..ultrabooks are going to be announced.

12. Dei

Dei Member

How good are Intel's integrated graphics now-a-days? Can they play Oblivion?

13. rocketshopeful

right, makes sense. Thanks everyone for the replies. Now that I think about it, not being able to upgrade the ram over 4gb on the current line of ultrabooks is a pretty valid concern. Lets see what they announce.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I wish Lenovo would release a new X301 with a Ivy Bridge cpu. I have an X301 from 2009 and it is awesome but could be thinner, faster and have longer battery life.

Such a nice product but it is starting to show its age even with an SSD.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why aren't they sold with more? My X301 has 8GB :confused:

16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I might take a look at the Vizio machines when they come out: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/vizio-officially-introduces-pc-line/

Sounds like they're going to be great -- no bloatware, and a nice-looking design. Hopefully they can deliver with great keyboards, trackpads, etc.

FWIW I bought a Macbook Air when they refreshed it this past summer and I like it pretty well. I've always been a Thinkpad guy, and if there had been a comparable Thinkpad (the X1 didn't set my world on fire), I might have gotten that instead. The "instant on" thing is a bit oversold in my opinion -- it comes out of sleep faster than many other laptops I've used, but it's not a night and day kind of thing. Booting is a lot faster, but it's rare that I power-off the computer (instead of just putting it to sleep), so I don't think it's quite all that significant. Other file i/o operations are faster though, so you'll definitely notice a difference in use, I just don't think sleep/wake is substantially faster than other laptops.

#16 Vengeance, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's already been announced:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I would like to see an ARM Version of Windows 8.