1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimate "James Harden Doesn't Play Defense" Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Apr 18, 2014.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's great news. Hopefully he gets shamed into trying harder again.

2. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

I suspect Harden will play better defense in the playoffs just because each game mean more, there are more days between games and he'll be facing the same player or players for at least four games.

I can tell you on the Blazer side, we're not treating him like someone who will play matador defense. We will, however, test his commitment to staying with him man by running him through as many screens as we can.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I used to think that Harden was lazy on defense, perhaps due to his heavy load on offense.

Now I think he just mentally checked out on the defensive end. It's not just physically lazy. His mind is not there. It's like he's just waiting for the defensive possession to end so that he can get on with the offense.

So maybe there's hope when he really concentrates (in the playoffs?), he will play much better defense.

4. torocan

torocan Member

This is actually one of the most concerning. NOT that someone does a back door cut on him due to lack of attention (though it's bad), it's that in several clips the guy not only back door cuts, but actually goes to the OPPOSITE side of the court, spots up and gets up a shot Before Harden even NOTICES that he lost his man.

You have to be completely oblivious for 4-6s for that to happen. Turn your head and someone will cut past you. Ok, I've seen that happen to the best of them. Get screened off on a back cut? You got caught by a smart offensive play. However, to NOT notice the guy running all the way to the far side of the court? I don't even know how to describe how bad that is in defensive terms.

That's aside from the whole not boxing out, not raising your hand to contest, and not shufflng your feet stuff and trying reach around steals which are just 100% laziness.

Here's one thing that really bugs the heck out of me. If your man gets a pass AND you're already facing him, how do you NOT raise your hand to contest? I get that he plays hard offense, but is there really so little left in the tank that you can't lift your arm?! Are you going to be THAT tired because you put your hand in someone's face?

Anyway, the guy who made this video said the original video length was actually more than twice as long, but he cut more than half of it out because he felt that it was getting ridiculous. This isn't "every" defensive lapse of Harden, this was less than half of them... and if you were really picking apart his defensive plays I'm sure you could find a lot more.

Harden's a star, but it's really bad for a defensive unit when they're playing 4 on 5 in terms of effort.

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I think the most comical thing is he thinks this is the playground where poking the ball from behind and clapping to distract the shooter may actually work. He's playing too much in the Drew league during the summer.

6. Houston22

Houston22 Member

The worst thing about this video is his stare to his teammates after near about every breakdown. Somebody might punch him in the future.

7. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

It's okay. If Harden concedes more effort on defense then his offense might take a hit. If his offense blows and he doesn't put any effort on defense, that's when we should complain. Also... He's not Lin. So there's that.

8. yummyhawtsauce

look it's okay to have bad defense, but he doesn't look like he puts in any effort at all to follow his man, he just ball watches so hard lol

9. NickKent

NickKent Member

I don't understand how staying with your man in the corner instead wandering into no-man's land ball-watching takes more physical effort and would take away from his offense. It's just simple basketball awareness..

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This video doesn't really show whether or not he is a poor defender, per se. What it really shows is that he is so hungry for the ball that he can't keep his eyes off it, even when he's not in possession. I knew he was a ball stopper, but I've never seen someone who was such a hog that he lusted after it even when the other team has hold of it. It's actually pretty amazing when you think about it.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

It's because ever since his AAU days, ever since his Artesia high school days, even at ASU, he has always been a very talented offensive player and carried the offense for the team. he never really established any defensive fundamentals and his defense was never a priority for any team that he was on. let's hope he pays more attention to this part of his game this summer and actually have someone coach him how to play one on one and team D. the physical skills are obviously there.

12. lean

lean Member

Haha awesome perspective, best post in this thread.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm personally glad this is circulating. Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i expect him to give a crap about defense in the playoffs, but he needs to work like hell on defense after the playoffs.

STOP WATCHING THE BALL!

15. passdarock

passdarock Member

It's **** like this that gives Rockets fans a bad name.

16. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Even NBA 2k14 took notice and downgraded his perimeter defense from a B+ to a B. :)

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy McGrady...

18. jocar

jocar Member

I'd be really surprised if he does this in the playoffs.

19. Rox7

Rox7 Member

The problem is Can PBev guard two person?

20. conquistador#11

i don't mind the backdoor.
    but unlike our players study tendencies. The other teams knowing all of our guards and most of our bigs don't like guarding the pick and roll. and they run it to death. it's not a coincidence.