1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UIL Athletic Realignments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Robert Snyder, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Well, a week from today the UIL will announce the athletic districts for the next 2 years. Its always interesting to see how this plays out. Out here in West Texas not a lot will change, but north surburban Houston should change (I went to Klein) so I'll focus there.....The Chronicle had an article last week on their web site that stated Magnolia and Huntsville should be 5A, along with Klein Collins and Cypress Ridge being added to the mix.

I see the North Houston Area Playing out in one of these two senarios...
    14-5A
    Magnolia
    Huntsville
    A&M Consolidated
    Bryan
    Plus 2 or 4 other schools

15-5A
    Klein
    Klein Forest
    Klein Oak
    Klein Collins Tigers (1st year in varsity play)
    Spring
    Westfield
    Woodlands
    Conroe

16-5A
    Cy-Fair
    Langham Creek
    Jersey Village
    Cy-Creek
    Cy-Falls
    Cy-Springs
    Cy-Ridge (1st year in Varsity Play)
    Tomball

or

14-5A
    A&M Consolidated
    Huntsville
    Magnolia
    Bryan
    Woodlands
    Conroe
    plus 2 others....

15-5A
    Klein
    Klein Oak
    Klein Collins
    Klein Forest
    Spring
    Westfield
    Humble
    Kingwood

16-5A
    Cy-Fair
    Cy-Falls
    Langham Creek
    Jersey Village
    Cy-Springs
    Cy-Creek
    Cy-Ridge
    Tomball

I always find it fun to predict what will happen with this. The UIL's official website is www.uil.utexas.edu/

Rob

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Yeah I go to Cy-Fair and was wondering what was going to happen. Knocking A&M consolidated and bryan out of the district woudl be a very good thing.. i'm a senior now so it doesn't matter.. but i'm in band so it was very annoying to drive all the way up there for the game..

in a few years though there shoudl be anohter hs probably so 16-5A wil be entirely cy-fair ISD schools..

i'm not sure how exactly they are structuring how students enter cy-ridge.. as far as if they will have just 9th and 10th grade the first year or what.. i'm gonna check on that this week..

i do know that some cyfair kids will be going to cy-falls. and i believe maybe ones that woudl be going to cy-falls are going to cy-ridge..

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm a senior too, so it really doesn't affect me, but 4 of the 8 schools in my district could drop down in a classification, which is nice since two of them are continual playoff contendors in football and one other is a perennial top 5 basketball team...

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

You think Westfield and Klein are gonna still be in the same district. Man that sucks for our (Westfield's) Academic UIL squad (or are academic districts different from athletic districts). Our math team ruled that district before my friend and I graduated. Then we graduated and Klein moved in and now we get stomped. Get Klein out of our district. Of course our football team was good last year so I guess we could kick your ass in that. And I presume the band is still dominating. Down with Klein.

5. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Well, I got some of 15 & 16-5A correct.... CY- Fair ISD decided not to have Cy-Ridge play Varsity Football for its first 2 years. I think they could play Varsity Basketball in 2003-04.

Full 5A Alignments
    http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/align/2002/fbbb/5a.html

Here are the Northside Districts and a few others.....

District 15
    Conroe
    Conroe The Woodlands
    Klein
    Klein Collins
    Klein Forest
    Klein Oak
    Spring
    Spring Westfield

District 16
    Houston Cy Springs
    Houston Cy Creek
    Houston Cy Fairbanks
    Houston Cy Falls
    Houston Jersey Village
    Houston Langham Creek
    Magnolia *elevated from 4A to 5A*
    Tomball

District 20
    Alief Elsik
    Alief Hastings
    Alief Taylor
    Katy
    Katy Cinco Ranch
    Katy Mayde Creek
    Katy Taylor

District 21
    Houston Aldine
    Houston Eisenhower
    Houston MacArthur
    Houston Memorial
    Houston Nimitz
    Houston Northbrook
    Houston Spring Woods
    Houston Stratford

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why in the world are the spring branch schools paired up with the aldine schools in district 21?? they are on absolutely different sides of town!! makes tuesday night basketball games an adventure. doesn't seem smart to me....seems like spring branch schools should be paired up with alief or katy schools like they used to be.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably because the district would be too big. If you match them up with Alief schools, who do you match Katy up with? If you match them up with Katy schools, who do you match Alief up with?

When's the last time Spring Branch schools did anything anyway? :)

8. MadMax

i know you didn't just jab at SBISD, RM95!! :)

i recognize there is probably some problem with there being too many teams...just seems there's got to be a better solution than pairing them up with Aldine. the distance between these schools is significant

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, I love SBISD. Since they were in our district my senior year at Katy, it helped us win the first ever district title in Katy basketball history!!

I also had my best game against Stratford. :)

10. MadMax

NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

what year did you graduate?? I graduated in 92...my 8th grade year we went to the state championship in football...9th grade, made it to the state semifinals...those years were amazing!!....basketball is much improved from those old days...they made it to the tourney in Austin a couple of years back...my freshman year, they were pretty good...got run in the playoffs, but Alan Bradley was our SG and first-team all-city.

today they're good at girls' volleyball...golf...swimming...tennis...in those sports they're pretty good every year. they may have the most consistent tennis program in the state.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone know what district West Canaan is in? :D

12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Thank God Huntsville didn't get put back in 5A. We were getting our teeth kicked in when we dropped down a few years back, and we've been struggling in 4A since (football-wise).

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Against Stratford that year, we were only up by 2 near the end of the first half (we should've been up by 20), and I had two straight steals and two straight layups to extend the lead to 6 at halftime, we then went on to kill them. The writeup in the Katy Times was all about how I sparked the team, blah, blah, blah. I ended up with like 15 points (I wasn't much of a scorer, or a player for that matter). Actually, my other great game that year was against Mayde Creek when I hit a near halfcourt shot at the buzzer at halftime, and there was an article in the Chronicle about how I sparked the victory. :)

And that, my fellow BBSers, was my 15 minutes. :( :)

14. deepellumrocket

Here's a monster 4A district for ya:

<b>District 20</b>

Beaumont Central
    Beaumont Ozen
    Lumberton
    Nederland
    Orange Little
    Cypress-Mauriceville
    Port Neches-Groves
    Silsbee
    Vidor
    West Orange-Stark

Or maybe I'm just a little biased because my old HS is in this group. That's right, I'm a Little Cypress-Mauriceville Battlin' Bear!
    That is every 4A school in the Southeast Texas/Golden Triangle area.

One sad note to all you HS hoops fans: Port Arthur Lincoln, breeding ground of SE Texas bball legends Brian Sollier, Kelvin McKyer, and B.J. Tyler, is no more. PAISD consolidated Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson into one school called Port Arthur Memorial. That will be one bad mother of a basketball team in 5A.

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

A high degree of participation in respective offseason programs probably helps those teams to their success.

Mango

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If they paired the SBISD schools with Katy, then the Alief schools have a long ride to the north. With the FBSD schools making up a district themselves, there are no nearby options for making matches to the south. The Rosenberg and Richmond area schools are not in the 5-A classification, so zero options to the southwest.

The UIL tries to keep schools from the same school system together, so using some of the HISD schools with the Spring Branch district schools is not likley.

Going west on I-10, it involves going to the San Antonio metro area to find 5-A schools after leaving the Katy school district. The best options in making districts for the west side (Katy, SBISD and Alief) are mixing and matching with the other districts on the north and northwest sides.

Mango

17. MadMax

I'm sure that's true, Mango. Just is a huge hassle for SBISD and Aldine schools. Oh, well...I'm sure if there were a better way, someone would have thought about it by now.

as for offseason participation in those sports I mentioned, I'm sure you're probably right.

18. deepellumrocket

Quit your whining. Look at this district:

District 22

Baytown Lee
    Baytown Sterling
    Beaumont
    West Brook
    Humble
    Humble Kingwood
    Port Arthur
    Memorial

The drive from Beaumont/Port Arthur to Baytown is about an hour and about hour and a half to Humble.

And I don't even want to think about schools in West Texas where towns are few and far between. Complaining about having to ride the yellow dog across Houston is laughable. Yeah, you might catch some traffic on those trips, but you're not really any worse off than schools in any other part of the state.

19. MadMax

deep -- you're right, that is a ridiculous lineup there!!! i have a close friend who was on the state championship team from marshall high school in marshall, texas in the early 90's...they of course travlelled great distances to play opponents. just seems that in a big city they could do better than this!