1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH's Keenum going back for senior year

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/6813910.html

Case Keeenum has informed University of Houston officials that he will pass on the NFL Draft and return for his senior season.

Keenum, who led the nation in passing and total offense for a Cougars team that went 10-4, had requested an evaluation of his potential draft status by an NFL advisory committee.

He had a Friday deadline to apply for the 2010 draft.

2. RocketMania1991

Good news for Cougar fans.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I understand him wanting to seek the payday, with the CBA up in the air, but it's clear he isn't ready.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

I wonder how much the booster club had to give this time around :grin:

5. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

he might fall to the 3rd or 4th round, but that might be a good thing, if he goes to the right team. If he go to the raiders, he is screwed.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

There is no "might" about it.

I'd be shocked if he went 3rd round.

I'd put him at 5th or 6th at best.

There are many taller, stronger armed QBs in this draft class.

His combine will be pretty weak, and it will kill him.

If he works hard, he can make it, but it is going to be an uphill battle for him from day 1.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for us and good for Chase ....My thinking is that he would have gone late second to third.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Case.

And no way.

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yes, there will be guys who are bigger and have stronger arms.

But Chase brings his own skillset to the table. While he is shorter than your prototypical NFL quarterback, he has a pretty underrated arm....Chase is mobile,smart, and very much a leader. I have no doubts as to his ability to be a dropbackpasser at the next level and will enjoy see him operating in the Wildcat while he also carries a clipboard.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Second or third?? I'd be surprised if he goes in the 4th or 5th.

11. Plowman

Supporting Member

CASE :grin:

12. Fyreball

While all that is true, that doesn't project him to be a second or third round pick. Your second and third round picks are generally guys who have NFL-caliber talent, but are just missing out that little extra something that would get them in the first round (i.e. DeMeco Ryans). Keenum is an absolute project quarterback who needs to be coached up like crazy, and needs time to develop in the system he's in. You don't spend a second-round pick on a guy like that, especially not at quarterback.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

His arm is not underrated.

It is below average at best.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Look how deep this draft is.

Not even in QBs, but all over the board.

How many teams do you think are willing to spend a first day pick on a QB this year?

Those factors have FAR more to do with this than anything else... and besides all that working against him, Case is weak in the categories that NFL scouts want the most (arm, stature)...

If he came out this year, I would be shocked if he went first day, I'd expect him to go 5th-6th or so, but would not be completely surprised if he went undrafted and got a phone call about 15 minutes after the draft for an invite to camp.

15. Plowman

Supporting Member

These days teams will reach a bit when it comes to QB ...if they are conivinced he's their man, project or no.
    And the fact that CASE is so fleet of foot will draw in the folks that advocate the Wildcat.

16. Fyreball

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that someone will reach a bit for Case....especially if they run the Wildcat. What I'm saying is that they'll reach for him in the SIXTH round.....Case is NOT a first-day talent. You don't spend a second or third round pick on someone you expect to play maybe 10% of your overall plays in a season.

17. Plowman

Supporting Member

Wow guys, I see him as a solid 4th rounder in today's NFL.... With someone reaching at 3. Case is not just a helluva athlete, he's a real good football player.I know we're all huge Cougar fans. Donny, I'm trying not to let my rose colored glasses get in the way again.But I see Case as possessing a few intangibles and very possibly some big upside even at the pro level.

18. PointForward

PointForward Member

You obviously don't understand the difference between a great College player and an NFL player. While many would like to think that both are the same (ie: it's all football!), it really isn't. There have been several instances where a player is absolutely great, even an all time great college player who doesn't even get a shot at the NFL because he's not an NFL-type player. Graham Harrell from Tech is a great example, He was lights out in college, one of the best in the country. Come draft time, he wasn't even drafted, and mediocre college players like Stephen McGee went in the 3rd (or 4th round, I can't remember) strictly based on potential, because scouts saw that he has the tools to potentially pan out.

Point being, Case is a great college quarterback, but his lack of arm strength (and some argue height) among other things, makes him a not-so-attractive NFL candidate.

19. Plowman

Supporting Member

How often does Miami run that thing ?

Fyreball - I just see him as a lock for the first day. We're miles apart on this one. Kolb deserved to go where he went and Chase,for different reasons will too. High or low we gotta wish him the best when he's done. In the meantime, get ready for a fun year.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Kolb was a legit 6'3" and could throw it 60 yards.

Case will not go first day if he comes out this year, period.

If he leads the Cougars to a BCS game or grows an inch or two next year, we'll talk