1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UH]NYT on the Decline & Fall of Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SamFisher, Mar 28, 2011.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far but he does come across as a little too goofy on the Rockets' telecasts for my tastes.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I would just start giving out scholarships to every 6-10 and up Nigerian soccer player until we hit gold again.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would settle for just walking across the street and offering scholarships to the entire Yates team every single year.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There was a couple others that he brought in but I can't remember who they were.

They did beat UCONN...I was at that game.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Didn't Clyde recruit Birdman but couldn't seal the deal or he left...I forget but I know he was close to getting him, right?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wrong. Clyde just says that on air. He never actually did anything at UH. Not anything.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

LOL...okayyyy take your word for it. I do remember reading that Gettis did alot of everything there, basically ran the dam team while Clyde just went to homes to seal the deal, but again, could be wrong.

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Penders seemed like a loyal guy and class act. I was absolutely astounded that he wouldn't even CONSIDER recruiting Houston though. Even if you assume Texas and A&M get first pick of the blue chippers, you mean to tell me we couldn't find a local kid to take a roster spot better than Tafari Toney, DeShaun Williams or Horace McGlouster.

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Yea Clyde signed Anderson to a letter of intent but he couldn't academically qualify so he never suited up. He actually signed two top ten type classes his two years, but for one reason or another the majority of the players never made it into school. Guys like Anderson, Antonio Falu (top 50 national recruit), Chris Booker (was later All Big-Ten), etc.

10. rtsy

rtsy Member

Someone say UH Drexer?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XGwHWnsFUC4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Most of Clyde's recruits never got in school. Birdman flunked out of Blinn so he didn't have a prayer of getting in UH.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

13. LetsPartyBud

LetsPartyBud Member

Mack Rhoades should grow a pair and go after Shaka Smart.

14. LetsPartyBud

LetsPartyBud Member

That frustrated me more than anything about Penders. You have one of the top 50 high school basketball programs 3 blocks from your arena!

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I remember Matt on the radio always saying how he wanted penders gone. Well look where they are now.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'm willing to be patient. If you followed their games this year, they stayed in games, played defense, and had an inside-out approach- you know, like what successful teams are supposed to do? I don't know what the future holds for Dickie, no one really knows how recruiting will turn out, but I am okay with where they are at now.

While Penders was successful to an extent, his style of play wasn't sustainable. You can't have a guard dominated game when you don't have great guards. I feel like he reached his ceiling. Penders recruiting reasoning was somewhat surprising to me too- you didn't want to deal with parents and local fans? Really? He should have recruited exclusively from Alaska and Hawaii then.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I saw his "excuse" on RealSports: "If you recruit them (Houston area players) and then don't play them, you hear criticism from EVERYBODY in the community". Unbelievable...