1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC] Evan Tanner dead at age 37

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by robbie380, Sep 9, 2008.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweektanner090808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Former UFC champ Tanner dead at 37

By Jeff Cain, Ken Pishna, and Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Evan Tanner was found dead near Palo Verde, Calif. on Monday. He was 37.

Tanner had trekked into the desert on a journey to “cleanse” himself, according to Douglas Vincitorio of Tanner’s management team. “He went out to the desert to do a ‘cleansing’ as he called it. Kind of like ‘Survivorman.’” These short trips were not new to Tanner, said Vincitorio. It is something that he has done numerous times over the years.

“What we were told is that (Sheriff’s officials who found Tanner) believe his motorcycle had run out of gas, so he went to walk out in like 115- to 118-degree heat,” Vincitorio said. “He was miles away from his camp. That’s where the helicopter found him. Right now, they just think that he succumbed to the heat.”
    ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner had apparently told friends before he left that if they hadn’t heard from him in a couple of days, they should contact officials, which is what happened. When he stopped responding to text messages, friends waited a couple of days and then notified officials at the Imperial County Sherrif’s Department on Friday.

A search ensued and Tanner’s body was found Monday.

On Aug. 10, Tanner wrote a blog on Spike TV’s website, proclaiming his desire to start an adventure in the desert east of his new home in Oceanside, Calif. An avid outdoorsman and wandering spirit, he wanted to escape civilization for a while.

“I’m not just going out into the desert, I’m going out into the desert to hunt for lost treasure,” he wrote. “I’m going on a pilgrimage of sorts, a journey to solitude, to do some thinking, and to pay my respects to the great mysteries.”

On Aug. 16, Tanner wrote about collecting supplies for his journey, and wrote about the dangers he might face.

“I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life,” he said. “I’ve been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I’m going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.”

Of course, this led followers of his blog to fear for his safety, as they often did when Tanner reported his frequent by-the-seat-of-his-pants adventures. In a blog dated Aug. 27, Tanner tried to calm his audience.

“This isn’t a version of ‘Into the Wild,’” he wrote. “I’m not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I’m going fully geared up, and I’m planning on having some fun.”

But he also affirmed that things could go wrong if his equipment wasn’t up to snuff.

“I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear,” he said. “Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem.”

On Sept. 2, Tanner wrote his final blog entry, documenting a training session at a facility in Oceanside.

The Amarillo, Texas native was a high school wrestling stand out who won the state championships his junior and senior years despite only getting into the sport as a sophomore. He entered mixed martial arts in 1997 encouraged by friends.

Tanner rose to the top of the mixed martial arts world by winning the UFC middleweight title over David Terrell at UFC 51: “Super Saturday” Feb. 5, 2005. He lost the title later in the year to Rich Franklin. Tanner, who had a career MMA record of 32-8 last competed in the UFC on June 21 losing to Kendall Grove by split decision.

“He will obviously be sorely missed,” said Vincitorio. Adding, “I think that Evan would want to be remembered as a very complex man with many layers, not just a fighter.”

Tanner was surely a unique personality. He’s eclectic spirit and competitive nature will be sorely missed in the MMA community.

2. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Into the wild? RIP +

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Dude... That is terrible. I wonder if he was never in scouts or had any training in hydrating while outdoors... That's just weird.

RIP

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

he has done these sorts of trips many times. he was a different kind of dude.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Damn, he should have tapped out.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Classless.

RIP and all the best to Evan and his family. He was a real good person and a solid fighter

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the sad part about it is he did. he texted his friends to let them know they needed to get a hold of the authorities since he had run out of water and gas for his bike. I guess this time around he was trying to go as minimalist as he possibly could. minimalism and 120 degree heat = death

8. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Very sad for someone looking for truth in this world.

A quest that has taken many lives - but a quest that when inside of a person cannot subside.

9. Asian Sensation

^^^ That was pretty deep.

10. BJJ

BJJ Member

His blog...

“I've been sitting around this apartment, bored to tears, waiting on the last of the gear I need for the desert adventure to come in the mail. I've really been looking forward to getting out there,” wrote Tanner. “It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.”

11. droxford

droxford Member

If he ran out of gas, he did a very poor job of preparing. He could have the best equipment in the world; but, even the best motorcycles need gas.

senseless.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

should have drank his own urine.

it's unfortunate he died but i'm sure he had no regrets about it.

13. droxford

droxford Member

I think that if you asked him, 5 minutes before he lost consciousness, if he had regrets, he might have had one or two.

14. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I can understand the whole 'find yourself' venture. I can even understand doing it in the desert during the summer to test your own mettle.

What I can't understand is not packing a cell phone or a flaregun just in case you get in trouble. It doesn't make you a wuss if you have to call for help.

I've been a UFC/MMA fan for quite a while and have seen a ton of his fights. He was always full of class and was a tough SOB. He put up some of the bloodiest fights I've ever seen. Although his MMA career was about done, I hate to hear that he died. Way too early to die, especially the way he went out.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I believe someone here said that he text his friend to get the authorities when he ran out of water and gas.