1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UFC 131 Dos Santos vs. Carwin

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tehG l i d e, Jun 10, 2011.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/INyEqEWxHbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

June 11, 2011

Main card
    Heavyweight bout: Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin
    Featherweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
    Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
    Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz
    Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

Preliminary card (Televised)
    Lightweight bout: Sam Stout vs. Yves Edwards
    Middleweight bout: Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Chris Weidman

Preliminary card
    Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Igor Pokrajac
    Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs. James Head
    Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young
    Heavyweight bout: Joey Beltran vs. Aaron Rosa
    Featherweight bout: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Darren Elkins

SHANE CARWIN:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DrGmvnJdblI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JDS:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tsWxOqEbIJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

131 Countdown:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bSX3Sdb3BFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weigh Ins:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDbKL91Rcy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New hot Asian ring girl (possibly nsfw):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

JDS via 2nd rd KO.

Very WEAK card, IMO. Outside of JDS-Carwin, I'm only interested in seeing how K-Flo scraps at 145.

3. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

I'm excited for this fight card.

4. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Mark mun. ground n pounds like a gorrilla, that has to be fun to watch

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Yeah, could be an interesting bout considering Maia has an incredibly weak stand-up game. But, he's an absolute magician on the ground... arguably the most skilled BJJ tactician in the UFC.

I want to see how Munoz, 2X All-American wrestler at Oklahoma St., stacks up against Maia on the mat.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Fixed. Some more pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Donald Cerrone is legit, i like to watch him fight... thats the only other fight i want to see other then the top 2

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Carwin gassed so badly against Lesnar he could barely move his arms in the 2nd and tipped over just by a tap, leading to the choke out. Dos Santo's gas tank isn't all their either (ex. Nelson and Crocop fights) but the fact he's gone the distance automatically gives him the advantage in that department. I don't think Carwin has ever gone to the 3rd round which is a testament to his finishing ability and power. I say Carwin takes this if he doesn't gas, but that's a big if. Carwin 2nd round TKO or Dos Santos 3rd round TKO.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This will be fun to watch, but I can't believe Carwin is returning so soon to a major fight without a warmup after serious back surgery.

Carwin needs to hit Santos with a big shot in the first because if it goes more than one round Shane is toast. I will say though that if Shane hadn't thrown a hundred or so punches against Brock he wouldn't have been nearly so gassed -- so maybe we are underestimating Carwin's cardio a little.

10. Asian Sensation

Carwin has dropped a ton of weight for this fight. He doesn't even look like the same guy. I wonder if he's still going to have his Gorilla juice head 1 punch KO Power. I think he abandoned his strength (size and power) to become more well rounded (better speed/cardio/conditioning and more technical) for JDS. I don't know if that's going to help or hurt him. JDS is one of the most technical heavyweights out there so this should be really interesting.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    <iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0MWNixR8sy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. KingCheetah

What did Carwin weigh in at? He looks like he dropped 20 pounds.

Edit: 254 pounds

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now that he's off the roids he's back down. I think in a previous thread on a Carwin fight I said various pictures showed this guy fluctuating up and down ridiculously in terms of weight. If he's at 254, then he's heavier than I thought he'd be. At his peak, he probably was 270-280 (?). He's been doing a lot more cardio which means he may be able to last beyond the first round, but I'm more interested in seeing whether or not most of his game was due to roids or not. If he tries to stand up with JDS, his chin and body will be tested.

13. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Yeah, he must have been 270+ in this picture -- you may be right about the roids.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

nice to see Nick Ring getting a chance, I liked him on the reality show

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

let's talk about the guest ring girl guys. she should replace chandhorsedella

[​IMG]

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AX2CBRCERt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He stammers and "no comments" the steroid question around 1:45.

#16 Dr of Dunk, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He won a very controversial decision over Riki Fukuda that he didn't deserve in his UFC debut. Not his fault though.

18. Asian Sensation

Of course he's right. Humans aren't supposed to be that big and ripped naturally. Remember when Wandy was on the Roids in the Pride days?

[​IMG]

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Christ, his arms look like human pork rinds. I'd be scared to get into the ring with anything like this. No wonder he had a freaking watermelon for a head.

(please don't tell him I said that...)

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

In case yall didn't know the prelims will be on facebook and youtube. Some potentially good fights on the prelims too, so check it out if you have time. They start at 4:50pm central.