1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UFC 129 GSP vs Shields

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by apollo33, Apr 28, 2011.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

[​IMG]

Corny trailer

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vE2efcGvVZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IT'S TIIIIIIIIMEEEE.

So pumped for this event, lot of good fights, biggest crowd ever in UFC history.

UFC 129 in Toronto Canada, 55,000+ at Rogers Center (former Skydome)

GSP vs Shields

Aldo vs Hominick

Couture vs Machida

---------------------------------

My picks,

GSP mauls Shields standing up, to 5 round UD

Aldo TKO via chopping Hominick's legs off

Machida vs being better than Randy (sorry Randy, it's time to go legend)

2. lean

lean Member

GPS/Aldo/Machida

Shields is the only one with a real shot imo. But even then, it's GSP...

3. lean

lean Member

lol GPS, thanks a lot cluthfans for not letting me edit.

4. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Youre welcome.

5. VanityHalfBlack

LOL, I kinda like that video, gives it that drama unfolds appeal to it...

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Shields has to get this fight to the ground. It's going to be very tough considering GSP's other-worldly striking and legendary sprawl, but it's Shields' only hope. He's a masterful tactician off his back, and is very capable of submitting GSP. I would not be surprised to see Shields put him away with a guillotine/rear-naked choke, but if I had to put money on the bout, I'd go GSP via decision.

The Rogers Center's going to be rocking (with rabid Canucks, of course), and it will be the most electric atmosphere in the history of the UFC, no doubt.

7. Asian Sensation

GSP vs Shields

Jake Shields doesn't even have a punchers chance against GSP. He couldn't knock out my grandma with grasp knuckles.

GSP is faster, stronger, quicker, has better standup, wrestling, grappling, ground game and cardio to boot. Everyone is hyping Shields up and don't get me wrong he has an impressive 16 fight win streak against some good competition and he's a good fighter but he doesn't bring anything that GSP hasn't seen or can't handle. There's no weakness in GSP's game that Shields can exploit.

Most of Shields' victories go to decision and GSP has become the king of those lately. I'm really hoping GSP has an impressive KO victory.

Machida vs. Couture

Machida should have his way with Couture in this one. Couture struggles against quicker fighters and the counter. I'm thinking this will go down like Couture's 2 fights against Liddell. Machida via KO.

Jose Aldo vs. Hominick

Super excited to see Aldo's debut. He's going to win via whatever the F he wants.

8. Asian Sensation

Until UFC Rio happens in Brazil. That one is going to be nucking futs.

9. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

True that, imagine if Dana White had approved Royce Gracie's request to rematch Matt Hughes at 134 in Rio. Hughes probably would have dismantled him, but it would have made for yet another interesting storyline as the country's most legendary mixed martial artist would have returned to the Octagon to challenge one of the sport's most dominant champions yet again.

Also, I wouldn't count out Couture this weekend. He's continually underestimated and dogged by fight fans across the country, but he always comes out ready to scrap. If he can turn this fight in to a battle of wills, I like his chances. He needs to lock up Machida in the clinch, drag him to the fence, and just beat him mercilessly with dirty boxing like he's done so often in the past. I agree that Machida will likely walk away with a KO victory, but if Couture can execute and manipulate this fight the way he wants to, Machida's going to be in trouble. Machida's a master of counter-punching, as he likes to sit back and let the action come to him, and I think Couture's going to overwhelm him with his strength and grappling.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Randy will beat Machida.

1 person likes this.
  11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Don't sleep on the underdogs. All of them are capable of winning.

If Shields puts GSP on his back and keeps him there, GSP will be in trouble.

Hominick is a better striker than Aldo technically, but of course Aldo is such a beast it might not even matter. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time Aldo is in a real fight.

Randy's style is perfect against a guy like Machida, only question is his age. I expect Machida to pull out a UD though.

12. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Agreed. I believe the reason why GSP wins decisions is because of his phenomenal jab. Always just landing that little jab scores big points with the judges

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's the only way he can win standups, he is very technically sound, but has no power behind those hands.

14. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Maybe there's a reason behind that

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

GSP - easily
    Couture - boring dirty boxing
    aldo/hominick - no idea.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, he wasn't gifted with heavy hands. Someone people can punch with power, some people just can't.

I know you are trying to say he's playing safe or whatever, but even when he started off his career and was a super aggressive striker, he never knocked anyone out standing.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

GSP, Aldo, and Couture

I will be sad to the point of giving up on MMA if Shields wins this one. Not because I don't think he can't win (because I haven't even seen him fight), but because I would like to see a GSP/Silva fight with both coming in seemingly invincible. Hopefully GSP destroys Shields.

I'm going to pick Couture, not because I think he'll win, but because I don't want to pick against him. Realistically, Machida should win, but I keep thinking Couture will pull something out of his butt to win this one. And, no if money were involved, I wouldn't bet on Couture. lol.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3SFygdPVFHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For real.

20. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wdjiknyoxgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>