1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UEFA Champions League 2010-2011

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

wait, wtf, RVP got red carded for THAT? Wow complete BS if I am Arsenal I'd be pissed.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ref destroyed the game with the red card and all those calls, no flow.
    Sad to see how refs can influence potentially great games.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't see the game, but from the highlights it seems as though the referee really screwed Arsenal.

4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

That's the problem people just watch the highlights and formulate their opinion based on that... I do think that second yellow was a bit rigorous but those are the rules. Also, it can be argued that RVP should have been sent off earlier in the first yellow. How about the penalty on Messi? How about the second yellow on Koscielny for the penalty on Pedro? How about the goal unjustly taken away from Messi in the away game? But above all, how do you expect to win when you take zero shots?
    Thats right shots on goal:
    Arsenal 0
    Barcelona 19!!

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was a good example of a club that wants to play like Barcelona playing against Barcelona.

As a neutral, it was a pretty bad game. 0 shots on goal is a huge letdown for Arsenal, but the ref really did hurt this one. Van Persie should not have been sent off. Yes, it's against the rules to shoot after the whistle blows. However, in a stadium with 90,000+ people yelling and one second between the whistle blow and the shot, it was an unjust second yellow.

6. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I'm fine with this assessment but the ref hurt both teams..

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

people blaming the ref did not watch the game. best team is moving on.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I've been looking for which rule he infringed upon and couldn't find it.

Could you show me please? Here is the link:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

Here is the play:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/11zBloEoBOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Referees will generally make mistakes, and this referee made several mistakes, but I don't think that excuses it. If the referee makes one mistake favoring each side, that still makes him a terrible referee and ruins the game.

It's unfortunate. Could have been a great match.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The best team doesn't always win.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

boo hoo.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yung-T and SJC I agree that van Gaal has some major weaknesses. Yes he is arrogant and cannot adjust to management and the press. But all those things were known when they hired him. He has been very successful (this year was a bit worse, but that was mainly a result of injuries and tired players after the WC). What more did they expect from him?

I'm no fan of van Gaal, I do not want him coaching my favourite team (even though they are fighting relegation this year), but if you hire him and he brings such a successful season you should give him more room for errors.

Ofcourse you want Hiddink, IMHO he is one of the best coaches in the world.

12. arno_ed

Page 117, Delaying the restart of the game the third point:
    kicking the ball away or carrying it away with the hands after the referee
    has stopped play

I thought the ref did a good job in the first half, he didn't fall for player trying to et a free kick (especially Nasri tried that a couple of times).

Of course the Red card for RVP was terrible and decided the game. He kicked the ball very shortly after the Whistle. Even if RVP didn't already have a yellow card I thought a yellow card was a harsh punishment, but to give his second yellow card for that play is just terrible.

Arsenal's objective was clear. Do not let Barca win, I thought they needed a bit to much last second slidings to stop Barca in the first half. But if RVP did not get his red card, Arsenal could have won. So overall a terrible move by the Ref.

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Like I said it was a bit rigorous but It's in the rule book is called "delaying the restart of the play" check pg 34 of that link you so kindly provided :rolleyes:
    Also, I don't have a problem with people criticizing the refs (they will make mistakes) but if you are going to do so look at both sides. I listed a few occasions when the ref hurt Barca.

14. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

You are right life is full of imperfections and our beloved game is as well, but in this case the best team is indeed moving on. Just look at the following stats if you still believe otherwise, I'm sorry but your fan-hood is clouding your judgement or your simply delusional.

Possession:
    Arsenal 24%
    Barcelona well u do the math

Total shots
    Arsenal 0
    Barcelona 20

Shots on goal :rolleyes:
    Arsenal 0
    Barcelona 12

Saves by Keeper
    Arsenal 9
    Barcelona 0

Honestly, how can you blame the ref when Arsenal didn't attempt a single shot all game long.

15. arno_ed

I do not like blaming the ref, however giving a red card to one of the best players of one team with about 30 minutes left to play, was much worse than a few occasions when the ref hurt Barca.

There are always questionable calls in every game, but this red card is much worse than what usually happens.

Barca deserved to win, but the fact that the ref played a huge part in the result of the game is undeniable.

16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Okay if we are gonna play ifs.. what if the ref would have given the penalty on Messi in the first half? If you watch Barcelona you'll know that they play better when they are leading. The penalty that the ref did give, should also have been a yellow card (last man), which would have been his second yellow.

17. arno_ed

We are going to play ifs?

I do not remember which incident you mean with Messi. I do not recall any clear penalties which were not given. I remember one play were there could have been a penalty given, but IMHO Messi was already falling before the player touched him, so IMHO a good no-call (just as the ref did many times with Nasri). Either way this was debatable. The red card was a terrible decision and not debatable.

Did Barca deserve to win. yes they did.
    Was the red card a terrible decision that influenced the game greatly? Yes.
    Do you disagree with me?

I do not like the anti-soccer Arsenal played most of the game (basically what all Italian teams play like, just wait for that one counter and score). So it was justified that Barca won. However Italian teams win a lot of games with this type of soccer. I would have liked to see how this game ended without the red card. It would have made for a much more interesting game (it was clear Arsenal would not win with 10 man).

18. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

For the last time, I think the second yellow was rigorous, but not unjust (it is in the rule book like it has been pointed out). If i was the ref I wouldnt card the player for such action, but each ref is different so with that in mind RVP has only himself to blame for that. Why would you put yourself at the mercy of the ref?

Having said that, I do think that call influenced the game significantly. However, some calls went against Barca not so much in this game but definitely in the away game.

This is a penalty.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FLw5ldHF9SQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If this is a penalty (which it was) then it should have been a yellow (the second one for Koscielny)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY0IFcJ44d0

This is a goal... not offside
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S7tLmp7kQJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just felt like including this simply because it was brilliant!
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BTTSzT8-0bI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Barca complaining about calls is as bad as Man U doing it, they get such a good run in games.. especially with 50/50 calls they can't complain when the odd one goes against them. The way Barca players often react to refs and opposition is also disgusting but they get away with it(like grabbing players by the neck).

The RVP incident is what you would show to a new ref of not what to do, all rules are at the interpretation of the ref, while technically you can call it right you must also consider it was maybe a second from the whistle until he kicks it, it's in front of 95,000 screaming fans(ever tried to hear in that situation?) and a card means sending off a player and likely giving the game to the opposition in a big game. The punishment does not fit the crime, it's an unwritten rule that refs use that a 2nd yellow card is normally for something pretty serious or repeating something they have already been warned for. Lets face it if a Barca player had received the punishment and Arsenal won 3-1 the fans would of probably tried to kill him, so silly to pretend they think it's fair.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As Bayern is a complete mess right now, I don't see who could even come close to stopping Barca.