1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UDFA Gary Clark signs a two-way contract with the Houston Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Jun 21, 2018.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I thought the same. Also the knock on him is consistent effort.. especially on defense. Dude doesn't play with enough energy to be a 'switch everything' player.

saleem likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Clark looks like the opposite of him in this aspect. I hope he isn't injured. It seems to be a contract issue with him and the Rockets right now. I think he wants a guaranteed contract. He seems more NBA ready on defense, than Edwards, with his physical strength and toughness.

Losing Clark may hurt Houston down the line. A Draymond Green type is badly needed. Deng is more talented than Edwards as a SF, so trading the latter before the season starts, is less likely to effect the Rockets. My impression is that Morey's greater analytical emphasis, overlooks the greater potential upside that another player may bring. I do like the Melton pick though.

TEXNIFICENT and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Progs

Progs Member

Is this why he hasn't been confirmed to a Summer League Roster spot yet ?! Cool, it now makes sense.

saleem likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

Clark is an all arounder for sure with energy. I love that his FT shooting improved every year. I absolutely love seeing stuff like that in 4 year players. It shows a willingness to perfect rather than just be satisfied with improvement.

5. saleem

Yes, and I love his effort to go out and block shooters on the perimeter. That's one of the hardest things to do in basketball.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

great, because i'm really looking forward to seeing how this kid does against elevated competition. Our summer league team this year will be oddly fun to watch. wasn't expecting to get excited about our young talent considering our lack of picks, but Morey found a way to scrounge up some talent.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clark could end up being a nice utility role player for the Rockets.

I would have him buddy up with PJ Tucker to learn the ropes.

If Clark could be serviceable at the short corner 3pt line that could keep him on the floor. I like the idea of the Rockets stocking up on versatile 3/4s. Need more of those than plodding centers like Nanu/Hartenstien etc.

#47 Deuce, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know it's the offseason when there are three pages of discussion about a possible two-way deal with Gary Clark, whoever that is.

amaru, napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. saleem

Nanu is a plodder for sure. Hartenstein has some versatility, but I do agree we need Gary Clark more than him. PJ Tucker is the ideal tutor for him, as you have pointed out.

Deuce likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets switching defense is key. It requires certain types of players and I think the team is now pivoting to those types of players.
    Melton, Edwards and Clark all fit that niche. And that is why the Rockets also targeted Vanderbilt.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

I've watched this like five times. I'm actually more excited about him signing than our picks. I don't know how he didn't get drafted, dude is a complete player. This is P.J's rook for sure

TEXNIFICENT, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Don't think so. You don't need to be signed in order to commit to playing for a summer league team.

saleem likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

The thing that made me go "yes!" was when I saw him close out on the perimeter and not allow penetration or an easy shot. I know it was against a college player, but I'm sure some practice in the pros will make a naturally gifted multi-space defender improve.

I hope this kid decides he wants to be in the NBA for 12 years or however long because he's not going to be a star that arises from a superstar profile. He'll determine his future most likely and it will be thru hard work. Hard work stars I consider to be the most fun to cheer for (Ariza, Bev, Tuckwagon, Chuckwagon, Scola, etc).

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  14. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Yes sir. I'll add Battier and Ellie.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

Let's not go overboard. Mario Elie was born to play this game. He was born to win those chips. :D

saleem and Bobsputin like this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am in love with this guy.

I think he is going to be in the NBA for a long time.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

New Gary Clark article from The Athletic.

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  18. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This changes everything

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't have a subscription to The Athletic. But would love to know what Clark says.

D-rock likes this.
  20. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Hello championship!