1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ubuntu Edge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah, sucks that it's going to fail. Really was interested to see this made.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Would buy. How much will it cost?

4. what

what Member

695 will get you one, but you have to support it through the campaign. It won't be available to the general public.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This looks horrid. The Windows Surface Pro tablet allows the user to run desktop apps (just an ultra book without the keyboard), yet Microsoft has taken like a billion dollar ($1,000,000,000) loss on the Pro and RT. Ain't nobody got time for that.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

is there even room for more than 2 players in the mobile market?

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

1) Its more or less an android device
    2) They are not competing. Its an exclusive club.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Disappointed this isn't going to make it too, but it was to be expected. Just way too high of a price/goal for a niche (at this time) device like this. I backed it at the $600 level, and thought it would have been a pretty nice deal if it ended up succeeding.

Doesn't seem like it was a very well run campaign. Not easy to promote a product like this with crowd funding (compared to something like Star Citizen), but think Canonical should have planned things out a little better. Likely wouldn't have made a difference, but might have made it closer.

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Whoah! I had no idea that thing would have specs like that!

If it's indiegogo instead of kickstarter, does that mean they are moving forward with production no matter if the goal is met or not?

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Indiegogo usually works like that, but seems they added (or always had?) a funding type that matches how Kickstarter behaves, which this project uses. In other words, this project will be funded as if it was a Kickstarter project. If it meets the goal, the project will continue. If it doesn't meet the goal (even if just by a little), no money goes towards the project, and nothing is created/done/etc. Just like Kickstarter (as far as I understand it anyway).

I was kind of wondering about that when this project started since I didn't think this could work at all if they only got $1M-$2M. I think that might have hurt the project some, though doubt it would really matter in the end.

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

It also makes me more likely to invest, if I was the type of person to have that spare cash. That means the project moves forward only if they get the economy of scale; otherwise I get my money back.

Even if they met the goal, I would foresee immense delays in production while they try to get new technologies crammed into one gadget.

I'd love to have one, if they actually produced it & I could afford it.