1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

u think the NBA may want Yao to fail?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Jul 11, 2002.

1. dream2franchise

Ok, not fail, i'm sure they wish all good things to him, but do you think the front office wants him to dominate? Would they want the leagues most dominate player to be non American? U see what i mean? i'm not trying to start up anything, and if this is seen as racist at all, than i apologize for that, totally unintentional, but do u catch my drift?I'm sure they want to him to be a major success, but not to the extent that another country can claim to having the best player in a sport so long dominated by the USA.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

The league wants Yao to do well. Imagine the boost in ratings, revenue etc they would recieve if he plays better than expected.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Wasn't Dream a foreigner??? The NBA is all about making money and they don't care where it comes from.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dream was the best player for a couple of years without a doubt.

5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Yao will be an economic boom for two years. By then everyone will know that he is a big, average, slow perimeter center ala Smits, Sabonis, and even Sam Perkins in his later years. Houston chose him to put fans in the seats and to help us bring the Olympics to H-Town (Yes, the Olympics). There was not a dominate sure thing in this years draft so Rockets brass figured that they may as well bring in the loot.

BTW, what colors do you think the new unis will be? I have a sneaky suspicion that red will be a predominate color. That would fall in line with pleasing the Japanese officials. I'm not so sure that they're fully comfortable with big Yao representing Japan in the good ol red, white, and blue. Red and Gold all the way.

6. napster

napster Member

dwil might want to brush up on his geography a bit.

7. Possum

Possum Member

Your a bright one aren't you? You have it all figured out. :rolleyes:

8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Think about it. How many people are in China? 1.5 billion or something? Can you imagine if even HALF of those people tuned into one NBA game a week or month??? I admit it's a big hypothetical, but what if everyone of those people buys a Houston Rockets singlet?? That's why the NBA doesn't want Yao Ming to fail. There is a common language between the NBA and China: $$$$$$$$$

9. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

dwil might want to brush up on his geography a bit.

OK so he's Chinese. That shows about how much interest I have in his game at this point. 20 seconds of edited highlights doesn't do much to whet the appetite.

10. Panda

Panda Member

So you are basing your judgement on 20 seconds of highlights?:eek:

11. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

"Yao will be an economic boom for two years. By then everyone will know that he is a big, average, slow perimeter center ala Smits, Sabonis, and even Sam Perkins in his later years."

Sam Perkins can never ever be compared to Arvydas Sabonis, not even after Sabonis torn his achilles tendons twice, blew his knees and most of his body parts, and finally came to play in the NBA, literally crippled. The Blazers are still trying to get over the possibility of championships that they could have won were Sabonis allowed to play with Clyde Drexler after the draft. Every NBA player who played him in the 80's will tell you he's way above Sam Perkins. With all due respect to Sam Perkins, every Sabonis fan would absolutely take your putting Perkins and Sabonis on a comparison as an insult!

"Houston chose him to put fans in the seats and to help us bring the Olympics to H-Town (Yes, the Olympics). There was not a dominate sure thing in this years draft so Rockets brass figured that they may as well bring in the loot."

Which team do you think could afford to pass on taking him as #1? If taking him as #1 is a gamble, then not taking him would be a much bigger gamble. The other stuff just came as extra bonuses.

"BTW, what colors do you think the new unis will be? I have a sneaky suspicion that red will be a predominate color. That would fall in line with pleasing the Japanese officials. I'm not so sure that they're fully comfortable with big Yao representing Japan in the good ol red, white, and blue. Red and Gold all the way."

Can any one on earth come up with a reason why Yao would be representing Japan??? What does any of this has to do with Japan???

dwil, you have no clue what you're talking about in terms of basketball, business and geography. I'm sorry about whatever you make yourself look like.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Players do visit this board, because dwil is Drew Gooden:D

13. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

dwil8686,

LOL, everything you said was real funny..... Oh wait, you really mean it? Haaaaaaa Haaaaaa.

I didn't know there's still someone like you out there. Totally not "In it".

It's really dump to say that "20 seconds" is what you are basing you opinion on. When everyone here has so much more to work with. Did you see the video that's available on clutchcity?

Did you really any of the threads on Ming, at all?

14. harumph

harumph Member

That is seriously funny :D

I hate xenophobia, but it's the "political in thing" in too many western countries at this moment (australia included unfortunetly... but we currently have a very poor standard/group of politicans).

#14 harumph, Jul 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

my mom just asked why i laughed out loud at the monitor.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

dwil8686 :-You are obviously very ignorant! Big Mouth, no research!

17. roswell raygun

I predict Ming will become the best player ever to come out of Ireland.:D

18. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Translation: I don't care enough about Yao to watch his games, but I know he will be mediocre in the end.

LOL! That's why I read this BBS so consistently. I love all the "educated" analyses. :rolleyes: :p

19. Nero

Nero Member

Actually, his post was unique in that it instantly communicated a
    type of clarity rarely seen in most posts - that being the crystal
    clear vision of him sitting there in front of his computer, typing
    with one hand cuz of th beer in th other hand, the beer gut, the
    mullet, the mike-piazza moustache, the lack of a high school
    diploma, and the El Camino sitting in the driveway.:rolleyes:

Nero

20. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Did you have to be so harsh.... I am sure that he drives something other than an El Camino.:D :D :D