1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. transportation chief: Houston needs to 'get its act together' on light rail

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bus

cheaper, more flexible, goes same places as rail does

2. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Ever ridden the light rail for a non-special event (i.e. excluding going to the rodeo, a concert, a Texans game, etc)? Good grief, it's just not a safe crowd. People move to the suburbs to get away from this crowd! They don't want to pay big tax dollars to deliver them to their communities.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Agreed which is why I hate waiting for buses because they take forever as opposed to waiting for a light rail.

4. da1

da1 Member

Slower, not as reliable, and flexibility is bad in this case because they have to share traffic with cars.

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I used to ride all the time and the crowd is not much different than what you see when you walk around the city. I think most people are just afraid of minorities. They hide in the suburbs and drive into city with your tinted windows rolled up.

6. da1

da1 Member

Man who wants to be around blacks and mexicans they are so scary :eek:

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

haha so bc theres a commuter train, poor ppl will just hop on over to the suburbs and loiter?

thats cool with me. might bring some shock/diversity to these bubbles we all live in

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Again......

Most people live in the suburbs because they like to live away from the hustle and bustle of the city....or because you can get a nicer house and more land for less money - not everyone wants to raise a family in a downtown loft...

It's not because they're "afraid of minorities".... :rolleyes:

Seriously...where does this misconception come from? It's just silly.

9. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

It's not their race, but rather their socio-economic status. Either they can't afford cars or can't afford parking -- that's why they are on the rail. Crime follows poverty.

10. da1

da1 Member

I don't know, white flight?

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lol I can imagine you as the super paranoid guy on public transit..

getting scared at every little movement by the scary poor people

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It's not a misconception. Many suburbs were developed when minorities started populating inner cites. A lot of people fled the cities during civil rights movements. It's obviously not the deciding factor for everyone to move into the suburbs.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is such crap, why does everyone play the race card so damn much on these forums?

Ever been to Missouri City? Very large black population, or the Klein area? How about Pasadena and Deer Park? Large numbers of of Hispanics. And you know what, there are plenty of of white people in those areas who are fine living in those areas too. My very white family lives in both of those areas, and I live in Sharpstown, the zip code with a 8% white population.

I'll ride a Park and Ride bus, because they are clean and I don't have to worry about hoodlums and homeless bothering me... both of which come in every race. That is the reason I don't ride the light rail or city buses if I don't have to. Period, end of story.

Light rail and city buses aren't worth the "savings" for me, I have a car that is faster, cleaner and safer. Race has nothing to do with it.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh, I don't know? Maybe posts like this:

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did no one read the post he responded to?

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

"omg, look at these people who have less money than I do. Can they tell I have money? Omg, what if they can? Are they gonna jump me? Have they even eaten? What if they eat me?" - FV Santiago's brain on public transit

public transit.. its one helluva drug

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Fake job in a near-insolvent organization.

18. da1

da1 Member

Park and ride buses were purposely prices at a level to keep lower income people off of them.

I don't think driving a car is always faster than taking public transit especially with your park and ride example.

19. da1

da1 Member

"All poor people are criminals"

--FV Santiago

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Build the light rail connecting major point within the city (DT, Galleria, Greenway, etc.) to drop off points. Build commuter trains out to the burbs. I work in the Galleria area and live towards Cypress. I would take this in a heart beat to avoid the 290 traffic. The bus provides crappy options that would take me longer to get to work and home.