1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Soccer - Brad Friedel announces international retirement

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Zac D, Feb 7, 2005.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Much props to both American keepers mentioned, but I do not agree... hence I laugh just like Ace, arno_ed and Jackie... Remember... this guy is still playing... [​IMG]

#21 SwoLy-D, Feb 8, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

He will exposed shortly (by Arsenal, right SJC?). He can barely keep his place with team and country.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

damn, friedel is my favorite soccer player. good thing we are stacked at goalie.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If Keller is one of the top 2 goalkeepers in the world, why couldn't even get a first team match with Tottenham this season?

Friedel and Keller are both very good keepers, probably top 10 in the world, but they're are NOT the two best.

We're not stacked at keeper. Keller's got a few more years left in him, but after that we don't look to good. Howard is as inconsistent as they come, and that's coming from a huge Man United fan. The last thing you want between the sticks is someone who is inconsistent.

5. SwoLy-D

I can't understand what you mean in your first sentence. :( Is it my E.S.L. ? Please explain it. I understand he could be "done" too, like Friedel, but he was TOPS during the past CUP.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When will these games take place? I really haven't been keeping up, but I know it should be kind of soon. Now that Lehmann is back for Arsenal, it adds an interesting twist to that matchup. Bayern will advance, though, the quality of the players on the Bayern team is just much, much greater than what Arsenal has to offer.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Arsenal will play Bayern in the next round of the European Champions League.

Kahn was great and clearly the best player in that tournament, except in the final.

He has made some costly blunders since, but recently, he seems to be getting back to his old form. We'll have to wait and see.

8. SwoLy-D

Have you been to a Khan game at all? I wished I could watch that BM game... :( got no cable... there was a match earlier on FOX... are they showing the whole ECL ?

Of course, when you have a GREAT defense, your keeper doesn't even get to touch the ball... the ONE time that he touches it, it should be to restart, or to defend the lone attacker... what are the odds of that? I remember that Goycochea (ARG) was the #1 keeper for a while, before coming to the U.S. in '94... then Sanchez played for him... I mean, they got rankings and everything, but, there are so many reasons to change the way we decide who's the best keeper... SORRY DEFENSE, good keeper, that's what you want...

I recall Brad Friedel with HUGE-O hands during the 1994 cup stopping those penalty kicks...

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you look at who is in the MLS and abroad, there are some damn good keepers who can play with the MNT. The overall talent level at keeper is probably the best in the world. I have heard that many times over, mostly from Europe. There is still a stigma attached to any US player, keeper or field. Keller had a bad stretch with Tottenham and it cost him his job. Friedel has been solid with Blackburn. Keep and eye on Johnny Walker. He might be the next to go overseas. Adin Brown is currently playing in Sweeden (I think).

I think that Tim Howard got in over his head at Man U. If he had started in a less pressurized situation than playing for the world's most recognizable sports organization, it might have made things easier. Jumping from the MLS to Man U and the EPL is a tough assignment for anyone.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Worked for safe hands Seaman.

11. RocketFan007

In his prime, Seaman was extremely reliable, it was as he aged that he became inconsistent, similar to what you see in Kahn now. In his time at Arsenal, which included his down years, he kept a clean sheet in 42% of his 564 matches. I'd say that was pretty consistent.

#31 RocketFan007, Feb 8, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

:confused: How do you figure?

Arsenal has the best striker and midfield, an admittedly inconsistent back 4 (with two world class defenders though) and a keeper judged by the German national team to be on par with Kahn.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Henry is great, but Bayern can counter that with an absolute world class defense with world champion Lucio and Kahn in the goal. Lehmann is not as good as Kahn, it's all politics right now in the German national team and that is the only reason Lehmann is even still in this.

Let's compare the teams:

Goal:
    Kahn vs. Lehmann: Advantage Bayern (1-0) - Kahn is better, believe me

Defense:
    Lucio, Kuffour, Lizarazu, Sagnol vs. Cole, Campbell, Cygan, Lauren: Advantage Bayern (2-0) - more experience (three world champions in the back four), speed, power, discipline, no holes in the back 4. Lucio can almost take Henry out of the game with his sheer willpower alone.

Midfield:
    Ballack, Frings, Hargreaves, Scholl vs. Edu, Pires, Vieira, Ljungberg (?): Advantage Bayern (3-0) - perfect mix of athleticism and speed (Frings, Hargreaves), leadership and goal scoring ability (Ballack) and creativity (Ballack, Scholl, Hargreaves) vs. a very good midfield of people who are good, but not great

Forwards:
    Makaay, Pizzarro vs. Henry, Bergkamp: Advantage Bayern (4-0) - Henry is fantastic, but nobody is as efficient as Makaay is. That guy just scores from everywhere, he is amazing. And he shows up in the big games, too. I was in Nou Camp stadium in Barcelona once when Barca lost to Deportivo La Coruna (where Makaay was playing at the time) 2-4, and like a phantom, Makaay kept showing up out of nowhere and scored 2 or 3 goals. Henry might be flashier, but give me Makaay any day. The second forward position might be key - Pizzarro is a very strong player that not only is fast and dangerous, but also knows how to dribble and protect the ball. Much better than Bergkamp at this point who was a great player, but is way past his prime. Kuffour should easily be able to handle him.

Bench:
    Bayern still has national team players Kovac, Salihamidzic (the Roberto Carlos killer), Demichelis, Linke, Ze Roberto, Deisler, Schweinsteiger, Santa Cruz, Guerrero, Hashemian to throw at Arsenal. I don't even know any of Arsenal's reserves, did they find them at the local gym? In fact, Bayern's second team would most probably still crush Arsenal. Advantage: Bayern (6-0)

Mental toughness:
    Advantage: Bayern (7-0) - before the fixtures were drafted, Bayern was HOPING to get Arsenal - knowing they would kill them. Bayern is going for the title this season, and Arsenal is nothing but a little insect that will be crushed on the way to winning it all.

Coach:
    Wenger has a much greater track record than Magath, but recently he had some questionable decisions, causing irritation in his team by going back and forth with the goalkeepers. Plus, he is French. Magath's players are always the fittest in the German league, his training is tough, and Magath is much hungrier than Wenger. And Magath is a winner - as a player, he scored the winning goal for Hamburg's Champions League title game vs. Juventus in 1983. Advantage: Bayern (8-0).

Fans:
    Bayern: SJC - Arsenal: HayesStreet. Advantage: Bayern (9-0) :D

FC BAYERN - FOREVER NUMBER ONE

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

A loss for sure, but we still have others.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Let's.

Really? He's had quite a few gaffs since his wonderful performance against Brazil in the WC finals. Oh wait, that was a terrible performance, right? He's been stripped of his captaincy, right? He's been removed from his no argument status as no. 1, right? He's been put in a one on one competition with Lehman, right? Right. He's better? You're opinion. Your NATIONAL COACH doesn't agree. Thank you.

Assesment of back four is highly opinionated. What exactly do you mean by world champions, lol. Last I checked non of these guys are old enough to have been on a world cup winning team you joker. On the other hand, Henry HAS won a world cup, as have Viera, and Pires. Thanks. Campbell is recognized as world class, as is Cole.

You truly are blind! Viera is considered THE premier center midfielder in the world. Pires is a world cup winner and world class, as is Fantastic Freddie (just ask Real or Juventus). Add Edu, who is a starter for Brazil, Cesc who is a prodigal genius, Flamini - a UEFA Cup finalist, and Jose Reyes (again watch the tape against Real last year) and you are grasping at staws. Hargreaves can barely make the English squad praying for midfielders, lol. Ballack is good, but he is swamped by the talent in midfield for Arsenal.

ManU would disagree with your assessment of Bergkamp. Form is temporary but class is forever. You say he is past but did you see his goal against ManU? Have you seen his layoffs in the deep slot? I think not. He is the Dutch Master and he's gonna light you up. As for Henry vs Makaay, you would be alone in that assessment. NO ONE would put him in Henry's class. That is just silly. And I saw him a Deportivo. Very good, but again you are just being silly comparing him to Henry. No speed, no touch, no finish - compared to Henry. I dare you to find one non-German site that even COMPARES him to Henry.

Hahaha: you don't know them because they are the cream of the young crop in Europe. Flamini, Cesc Fabregas, Van Persie, Reyes, Senderos, Hoyte, Lupoli are the next generation of superstars. We don't waste time on our bench with has beens and never will be's like Ze Roberto, Guerrero, Hashemian et al.

Pffft! The only thing keeping Bayern in the DISCUSSION of top teams is that there is no competition in the Bundesliga. You lose the title to such crap as Dortmund and Leverkusen for crying out loud. If Chelsea and ManU were in your league you'd finish no better than third EVERY year.

You admit Wenger is better than Magath so stop overreaching. Clear advantage to Arsenal.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. It overshadows your lack of knowledge of the game. But I'd expect no less. Keep drinking the steins of beer. You'll need them when Arsenal rips your beloved to shreds!

16. RocketFan007

Lucio was on the Brazil sqaud in 2002 and Lizarazu played for France in 1998, Sagnol was NOT on that team.

From a neutral fan:

Keeper: Bayern
    Defense: Bayern
    Midfield: Arsenal
    Forwards: Arsenal
    Bench: Bayern
    Coach: Arsenal

I'll give the overall edge to Bayern though, just based on prior European success.

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

like others have said, i do not think they are bad goelkeepers. Just not the 2 best in the world.

Great there is a discussion about soccer ont his forum:D:D
    About the arsenal against Bayern. It will be a very close game. Bergkamp is great. it is unbelievebale how much the dutch team missed him when he retired. Makaay is a great striker, but i do not think he is as good as Henry. I woulod give the small advantage to Arsenal. But with german teams you never know.they are always very tough to beat

18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I think Bayern will win it simply because they are Germans and because Arsenal always seems to screw it up somehow (I actually like Arsenal, favourite team in England). I don't actually think they are better than Arsenal, but I just don't feel that easy about it for some reason. SJC, come on man! That's a slightly biased opinion don't you think?! Although I do like (though agree?) your assesment of Roy Makaay! :)

19. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Oh, and Bergkamp is NOT past it. Ok, he is not as good as he was 5-6 years ago but he is 35 years old. He still manages to bring a top game, one which keeps some good players on the bench. Henry has said that his presence changes everything in the game (in a positive way, lol). There is just no better shadow forward, it's amazing how he links up and his touches are incredible.

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

A fair assessment.