1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Report Fails to Link Gun Laws to Violent Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by treeman, Oct 2, 2003.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was guessing on a very bad memory, but still a ratio of more then 133-1, on a country that is only 1/5th our size.

And people say easy access to guns is not to blame....PUUUHHHLLLEEAAAASSSSEE !!

DD

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

But if we removed gun control laws like background checks, wouldn't that just make it easier for criminals to get guns and cause even more chaos? I'm curious as to what the rate is of murders by illegaly and legally purchased hand guns.

3. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Most gun owners like myself have no problem with background checks, but when you start getting into all this trigger lock/registration b.s., that's when my support for it starts to wane. Read the statistics in my post, the rate of violence in this country is not on the rise. And as for the "gun violence" deaths from the UK, you need to put those in terms of a ratio, because we are much more populous than that tiny island.

And as for guns killing people, far more people die from simple traffic accidents than from gun "violence." And if more people did what I do with my kids and guns, they wouldn't have any problems.

I established several rules with my weapons:
    1. First of all, my kids are extremely used to firearms. I figured if I got rid of their curiosity on them, they wouldn't bother them if I told them not to. Both my son and daughter have BB guns and enjoy target practice with the paper targets outside with their Dad's supervision.

2. I told them to never, ever point a gun, even a toy gun at anyone or themselves.

3. To always check to make sure that the safety is on and to make sure there are no rounds in the weapon when they put it away.

4. I also told them that they are not allowed to touch or even look at my guns or their BB guns without my supervision.

When you set those sort of strict ground rules, there is no chance of accidents. My son attempted to circumvent the rules once and he was quickly reminded that I'm extremely serious about them via a good spanking and the command voice. As a result, he knows I don't budge on those rules.

Guns are only dangerous in the wrong hands and our present-day paranoia concerning what is a relatively minor problem makes it hard for people to develop proper safety and respect for what is a tool. If you don't want to own guns, fine, but don't attempt to throw a monkey wrench into my ability to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Reuters, too, like the Washington Times, is often just a propaganda arm. As I read in Greg Palast's "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy," Reuters had a rep at confidential meetings (yes, yes, insert :rolleyes: here, conspiracy conspiracy; he used actual documents to prove the meetings took place) involving the IMF, World Bank, etc, and put out a cover story that hid the group's actual findings.

Because anyone with common sense can tell you that an angry man without a gun is impotent. An angry man with a gun has a score to settle and the means to do it.

This Reuters story does kind-of say, Well, this is inconclusive. But most people are too lazy to read well past the headline.

Man, the media sucks.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

While we're here, I wanted to quote a line from a John Woo movie I watched the other day called Hard Boiled. I just thought it was really cool and doesn't really have any relevence to the current discussion. I may make it my sig.

6. Maynard

Maynard Member

Do like Chris Rock suggests

make bullets cost $5,000 each..

7. Maynard

Maynard Member

2 things

relatively minor problem? over 10,000 gun-related deaths each year in this country is a minor problem ?

you are NOT exercising your 2nd Amendment rights..are you in a militia? the second amendment is clear: everyone in a well regulated militia is free to have a muzzle loading flintlock rifle. This does not mean everyone in the country is entitled to a gun.

anyways...I think the problem is a combination of 1)too easy of access to guns and 2) the break-down of the family unit resulting in those in poverty remaining in poverty, generation after generation especially African-American families...

8. Buck Turgidson

It is? I've done a bit of reading on the subject, and I hear legal analysts & constitional law types use words like "vague", "contradictory" ("well-regulated" vs. "shall not be infringed"), etc... but I've never, ever heard anyone state that it's intent is easily decipherable, else why would we still be having this discussion?

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As an aside, it is probably worth considering what effect the differences in emergency medical infrastructure have on the statistics. I know that is pretty much given that the rise in gun murders in the US in the last 50 years is considered to not be an accurate reflection of how many attemps there are, because the current medical establishment is able to save an exponentialy larger number of people than was possible in, say, the 1950's.

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I'll never own a gun. If I can't protect my family with a baseball bat, I had no chance to begin with anyway.

That said, I go back and forth on gun control, depending on my mood. The government has no business telling me I can't own a gun. If I use it improperly, then I should pay the price.

But "paying the price" isn't a deterrent to gun crimes, either. "Paying the price" doesn't save the thousands of people who die every year from gun shot wounds. So is the principle of gun ownership more important than saving lives? If it were only that simple.

Man, I just don't know. Tough issue.

11. Maynard

Maynard Member

actually the Supreme Court has always rulled that the 2nd admenment says exactly what I said it says and nothing more..

that everyone in a well regulated militia is free to have a muzzle loading flintlock rifle :)

that is why the NRA never takes cases before the Supreme Court and they only Lobby Congress on gun-control laws..

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

How do you account for the low incidence of gun violence in Switzerland? Canada? How about in Kennesaw, GA?

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

D'oh. I meand to quote this:
    from DaDa's post with my above questions. Damn lack of edit.

14. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

It says nothing about flint-lock rifles, you are just pulling that out of your posterior. And in the colonial context, the militia was every able-bodied male, not just some national guard.

The right of the people does not mean that the Natl Guard, an extension of the govt, are the only citizens allowed to keep and bear arms. That is all encompassing for every citizen. Being necessary to the security of a free state means that you take responsibilty for your own security and you act as a check on the power of govt. Those "experts" you cite are obviously on the left hand side of the dial and just trying to justify their anti-gun agenda.

15. Maynard

Maynard Member

well support your argumnet that the 2nd amendment is about an "individual's" right to bear arm vs a "state's" right to bear arms?

you can't win that argument..it has been decided long ago and EVERY Supreme Court decision on this matter supports my argument, that the 2nd Amendment speaks about a "STATE'S RIGHT" to bear arms..

again, why do you think the NRA doens't challenge gun-control laws in court? Why do you think they only lobby Congress?

plain and simple...the 2nd amendment says ZERO about an individual's right to bear arms..sorry

16. treeman

treeman Member

Oh Really?

Then what does "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." mean?

Please define "people".

17. treeman

treeman Member

18. Maynard

Maynard Member

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In 1886, the Supreme Court ruled in Presser vs. Illinois that the Second Amendment only prevents the federal government from interfering with a state's ability to maintain a militia, and does nothing to limit the states' ability to regulate firearms.

In 1939, the Supreme Court ruled in United States vs. Miller that that the Second Amendment "must be interpreted and applied" only in the context of safeguarding the continuation and effectiveness of the state militias.

In 1976. United States v. Warin, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the conviction of an illegal gun-owner who argued that his Second Amendment rights had been violated and the court wrote: "It would unduly extend this opinion to attempt to deal with every argument made by defendant...all of which are based on the erroneous supposition that the Second Amendment is concerned with the rights of individuals rather than those of the states."

19. treeman

treeman Member

U.S. Constitution: Second Amendment
    Second Amendment - Bearing Arms

Amendment Text | Annotations
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Annotations
    In spite of extensive recent discussion and much legislative action with respect to regulation of the purchase, possession, and transportation of firearms, as well as proposals to substantially curtail ownership of firearms, there is no definitive resolution by the courts of just what right the Second Amendment protects. The opposing theories, perhaps oversimplified, are an ''individual rights'' thesis whereby individuals are protected in ownership, possession, and transportation, and a ''states' rights'' thesis whereby it is said the purpose of the clause is to protect the States in their authority to maintain formal, organized militia units.1 Whatever the Amendment may mean, it is a bar only to federal action, not extending to state2 or private3 restraints. The Supreme Court has given effect to the dependent clause of the Amendment in the only case in which it has tested a congressional enactment against the constitutional prohibition, seeming to affirm individual protection but only in the context of the maintenance of a militia or other such public force.

In United States v. Miller,4 the Court sustained a statute requiring registration under the National Firearms Act of sawed-off shotguns. After reciting the original provisions of the Constitution dealing with the militia, the Court observed that ''[w]ith obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted with that end in view.''5 The significance of the militia, the Court continued, was that it was composed of ''civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.'' It was upon this force that the States could rely for defense and securing of the laws, on a force that ''comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense,'' who, ''when called for service . . . were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.''6 Therefore, ''n the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well- regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.''7

Since this decision, Congress has placed greater limitations on the receipt, possession, and transportation of firearms,8 and proposals for national registration or prohibition of firearms altogether have been made.9 At what point regulation or prohibition of what classes of firearms would conflict with the Amendment, if at all, the Miller case does little more than cast a faint degree of illumination toward an answer.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment02/

Well, I'm a soldier. And every civilian is a friggen militia! But that only covers sawed-off shotguns... The Miller case is pretty useless on the question of prohibition.

BTW, just see what happens when you try and take my guns. And the other 300 million guns in circulation in this country. If you really, really want a civil war in which tens of thousands of soldiers and possibly hundreds of thousands of civilians die, then go ahead and try to take everyone's guns.

You would instantly criminalize about a quarter of the country's population. Wow, what a great idea...

PRESSER v. STATE OF ILLINOIS, 116 U.S. 252 (1886)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=116&invol=252

It shall not be lawful for any body of men whatever, other than the regular organized volunteer militia of this state, and the troops of the United States, to associate themselves together as a military company or organization, or to drill or parade with arms in any city or town of this state, without the license of the governor thereof, which license may at any time be revoked: and provided, further, that students in educational institutions, where military science is a part of the course of instruction, may, with the consent of the governor, drill and parade with arms in public, under the superintendence of their instructors, and may take part in any regimental or brigade encampment, under command of their military instructor; and while so encamped shall be governed by the provisions of this act.

This case is irrelevant. A bunch of idiots tried to parade with guns down main street, this case is not about the right to bear arms. It is about grouping publicly as a military organization.

As for the United States v. Warin, that was another extreme case that is not at all relevant to the larger question of the right to bear arms. This was a case of a nitwit caught carrying a 9mm submachine gun - a full-auto military weapon. That is illegal, and I am not arguing that it shoulod be legal for civilians (no one is). Here: http://www.guncite.com/court/fed/530f2d103.html

Again - Please define "People". The Supreme Court may have put it into the hands of the States, but it would seem that the States think that "People" are the same thing that the Supreme Court thinks they are: citizens of the United States.

20. Maynard

Maynard Member

well I think (as well as the courts) that the 2nd Amendment pertains to state's right to arm its militia....and the state militia turned into the National Guard.

I am not arguing that the Government should take away all your guns.

But I am saying that the 2nd amendment doesn't prevent Congress from putting through stricter gun-control laws and I feel that the "right" for individuals to own a gun is found no where in it.

If you feel that the Government has the right to restrict ownership by individuals Nuculer Weapons, Anti-Aircraft weapons, or other ristrictions, then you've already accepted that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to individuals... "shall not be infringed"