1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of H, Uof H Law? prizes...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nyquil82, Oct 29, 2003.

1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Anyone from U of Houston or specifically the law school? can you tell me anything about the program, campus, area, etc... stuff I can't find on their website that i might find of interest. best information gets a tipjar donation from me praising their name.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good thread. I'll be applying there for next year...I'd like some info too.

I know MadMax and Refman went there, as did SJC, IIRC.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Bah, apply to UT Law.

:)

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I'm applying to the UH law school early admission right now. Median GPA for those accepted 3.6, median LSAT score 160. The offer both a day program for a JD in 3 years or a night program 6-9 pm M-Th for 4 years. They are rated in the top 50 law schools in the country and are rated number one for the Health Law specialization.
    For more info on this and other law schools check out this link

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because i never went to any other law school other than UH, i don't know how to compare/contrast it to others.

but i'm a lawyer now...passed the bar...so it did the job i hoped it would do.

the area of town...well...there are better areas of houston than around the UH campus...but you're so bubbled in at the school you're a bit oblivious to that.

i know UH has a great health law program...and one of the greatest professors in the country teaches commercial transactions and internet law there.

they've made a ton of improvements there, structurally, since I was there...most as a result of damage sustained during Allison.

ultimately, any school is what you make of it. if you want to get a good education and you work at it, i'm convinced that can happen virtually anywere...conversely, if you want to blow off your opportunites in attendance at an Ivy League law school, you may find the whole experience wasn't worth your time. we chose UH because my wife and i wanted to come home to houston right after we were married....i went...i graduated...i passed the bar...i'm a lawyer. that was the goal.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm also going to apply to UT and SMU, I believe.

I took a practice LSAT completely cold the other day and scored a 156, losing most of my points in the games section. I'm about to start an online class to improve that. I have a 3.45 undergrad plus nearly six years of working in law firms. I'm also hoping for a letter of recommendation from a certain poster who may or may not have posted in this thread! :)

7. MadMax

I'm certain that Trader_Jorge will be happy to help you in anyway possible.

8. Mulder

The PowerScore Logic Games Bible is the best book out there for the logic games section. It was 45 duckets but I feel it was well worth it.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm just gonna shell out the $600 for the Kaplan online thing. If nothing else, it'll give me a better piece of mind going into the thing. However, I'm kinda happy with my results from the cold practice test. That was after nearly four years out of school, too.

Are you going to any open houses or anything? Drop me an e-mail if you want...it'd be nice to know some people going into it next year.

10. SamCassell

For the LSAT, don't waste money on expensive classes, imo. Do get a book with some practice tests and repeat them as necessary to get a feel as to what is expected and what the time pressures are. Do at least one fully timed test under standard conditions (Kaplan offered one free at UH that I took). Don't kill yourself prepping, you'll just psyche yourself out. It's really a pretty easy test to take, and doesn't require anything more than the logical reasoning skills you already possess.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Honestly, you're the first person to tell me that. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'd like to save the $600, obviously, but everyone's told me that the classes teach you the little tricks.

12. SamCassell

I don't know what all the "little tricks" are, but I doubt their value. To be fair, I never took a Kaplan prep class, so maybe they're great. I couldn't even begin to afford one when I was 22. But I got a 170 the one time I took the LSAT without taking a class. And you've met me, it's not like I'm that smart. I think you can prep fine without the class, but do what feels right.

13. MadMax

my thought would be you're buying a comfort level....$600 is a small price to pay for buying some comfort on a test to get you into law school, ultimately.

14. SamCassell

I know Dumbo carried around a magic feather, Max, but I don't think he paid $600 for it. Again, just imho, Kaplan and other companies prey on the insecurites of students in order to justify exhorbitant rates for a few classes.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've said it numerous times, but it's great to have you around! :D :D

16. MadMax

i'm not trying to argue with you or contradict you...you ultimately said the same thing i said...do what you're comfortable with. that's all i'm saying. i took a course...and it made me much more comfortable with taking the test. that's all.

17. SamCassell

Hey Max, no offense meant. You're right, we agree I think. I just wanted to get in a free shot at those prep classes (I still can't believe I paid $700 for PMBR) and I had a Dumbo line all ready for the occasion.

RM95, it's good to be back. I missed this place. :)

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

My wife is a UH law grad and works for HC now. She did an at home study for the lsat and the bar and passed each with no trouble. Now, living with her while she studied? That's a different story all together!

It's all really on how you learn better, with a group or by yourself.

19. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I went to law school at Texas Tech. At my old firm in Houston, I was one of the few people who didn't go to UH. I haven't heard one bad word about the UH program. I used to study at the UH library there duing my holiday breaks. It's a nice library.

20. Mulder

Dude 170? Frak UT go to Harvard!