1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of H Dorms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. Valdez, May 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I know some of you have lived in the dorms at U of H, which would you recommend? My younger brother needs to apply for housing and might not have the time to visit them first. He'll be a Freshman so his options are limited.

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he's in the Honor's College or an athlete, he can live in the Quad, where they have suite rooms (two two-person rooms sharing a bath). I lived in Law Hall for 4 years and loved it.

Moody Towers is the high rise dorms with the communal bathrooms. They're nice enough I guess but I am glad I got the Quad room.

Remind your brother to ask about internet access - it was dial-up when I was there but they might have upgraded since then.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I recommend all freshmen live in the dorms. It's a great experience. I had a connecting bath (2 rooms connected by a bathroom), but everyone else I knew had community bath (one wing shares a large restroom/bathroom). Even if I had to go community, I still would have lived in the dorms. btw, these were not at UH.

4. goophers

goophers Member

DO NOT LIVE IN THE TOWERS!!!!!

The Quad is nice enough. Much roomier than most dorms. The internet connection was upgraded a few years ago, but I heard they have had problems with it since I left (slows down during the day apparently). Try to get into Cullen Oaks or the new place going up on Calhoun. They are much nicer and not much more expensive.

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Is the Bates Motel (aka Bates Hall) still there? Is that still the athletic dorm?

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Anyone can live in the Quads, you don't have to be an athelete or in the honors college.

I lived in Taub this past year, it wasn't too shabby...

7. Band Geek Mobster

I've stayed in the Quad and in the Towers...

The Quad's nice and quiet, it really depends on which building he'd stay at. I stayed at Law and had a terrible time, the place was so quiet and boring...

The Towers are jumping pretty much all of the time and much more fun in my opinion...

It really depends on the type of person you are...

If you want to have a good night's sleep on a daily basis, then the Quad's for you. If you want to have a true college dorm experience with it's positives and negatives, I'd go with the Towers.

The Dorm style apartments are the way to go though in my opinion. Cullen Oaks is probably the best bargain on price, and it still has a "dorm" feel, but if you want that place, you better sign up now because the waiting list will become huge. There's also a new apartment complex that appears to be just like Cullen called "Bayou Oaks", and it will be open this upcoming Fall. Cullen's nice because it's fully furnished with a very nice rate. The dorm experience was nice, but the major reason I like the apartment living is 1) You don't have to pay for parking and 2) You don't have to have a meal plan.

Bates is still there Horns...

8. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Thanks for the imput! You guys have given a much clearer picture of the pros and cons than the U of H website was willing to offer. I think the dorm experience will be great for him. At the very least, he'll appreciate living in his own apartment even more;)