1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of H closes out perfect season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hottoddie, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Unbelievable. The Cougars went 0-11 for the year. Their worst finish of all time. I say it's time to bring Bill Yeoman back.

http://sports.excite.com/ncaaf/011201/hheggb

ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- David Greene tossed three touchdown passes as 19th-ranked Georgia coasted to a 35-7 victory over Houston, which completed the first winless season in school history.
    The Bulldogs concluded Mark Richt's first regular season as coach with an 8-3 mark and set a school record by reaching at least eight wins for the fifth consecutive season. Vince Dooley led Georgia to four straight eight-win campaigns from 1984-87.

Georgia also beat Houston for the first time in four tries. The Cougars were 2-0-1 in the previous three meetings.

The Cougars (0-11), who had one-win campaigns in 1993 and 1994, suffered their 15th straight loss. Their closest call this year was a 29-28 loss to Cincinnati on October 20.

Verron Hayes, who rushed for 399 yards in the last two games, scored on a two-yard run to give Georgia a 7-0 lead with 6:30 left in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs struggled at times in the first half, but Greene combined with Fred Gibson for a 12-yard TD pass that gave Georgia a 14-0 lead with 1:11 left in the second period.

The Bulldogs broke it open with three touchdowns in the third period. Greene tossed a pair of 49-yard TD strikes to Terrence Edwards and Jarrett Berry before backup Cory Phillips found Jarrett Berry for a 10-yard TD that made it 35-0.

Houston avoided the shutout on Nick Eddy's 16-yard TD pass to Orlando Iglesias with three seconds left in the third period.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why UH even bothers to have an athletic program anymore is beyond me. They might as well compete with the area high schools!

3. Band Geek Mobster

The basketball teams not that bad...

4. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

The baseball team is pretty good - so no need to scrap the entire athletic department. :rolleyes:

Don't forget about Anthony Evans, who was the second most prolific RB in Texas HS history (behind Cedric Benson) - he was redshirted this year, but should be a big contributor next year. Don't ask me why he was redshirted - the Cougars needed all the help they could get.

It will be interesting to see how Dana Dimel's recruiting efforts go this winter - his first class was great, but an 0-11 team will be a tough sell.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Play Bobby Tillman dammit.

:mad:

6. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

If UH ever hired a coach that was worth a damn they might be in good shape. They could be as good any team that isn't in a BCS conference can be. The opportunity is there if anyone can take advantage of it.

I am a Coog and have zero confidence in Dimel. I have a hell of alot more confidence in Ray McCallum and think BBall will turn around next year when Andre Owens becomes eligible and Dwight Jones Jr. and Cedric Hensley get here. I wish I could say the same for football.

And about Dimel's recruiting. It wasn't that great. It was the best in C-USA but was like #48 in the nation. Better than what we got with Helton but nothing head turning. Dimel says he's selling the future. If next year was anything like this one, it will be interesting how many recruits will continue to buy into it.

7. Timing

Timing Member

All of a sudden Kim Helton doesn't look so bad huh? :)

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If UH had the finances, they should fire Dimel now.

Right now, recruiting is in the crapper, which would have been the only reason to keep him, if he currently had a decent recruiting class.

Obviously, UH has underachieved, and I see no reasons, other than financial, to keep Dimel aboard.

In the state of Texas, it's unacceptable to go 0-11, especially in C-USA.

9. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

I'd be in favor of firing Dimel but that would mean 3 head coaches currently being paid (Helton, Dimel, new coach) so that's not going to happen.

If UH starts the season 0-2 (which would mean losses to Rice and Louisiana-Lafayette) then I can't see him doing anything ever.

Damn I wish Bob Pruett hadn't backed out of the deal.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Who's Bob Pruett?

11. Timing

Timing Member

I think Pruett is the guy from Marshall who was going to be coach but dropped out because it was leaked to the press, or so the story went I think.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Wow, that would have been a good move.

I guarantee you that with his offensive system, he would have been able to bring in some decent WR's and QB's.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They can have Mack Brown !!

DaDakota

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

No, send them Chris Simms.

Mack Brown is a damn good coach. I stand behind him. I don't stand behind his decision to start Chris Simms.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Funny thing is some Horns are questioning UT's decision to hire Brown over Barnett.

Brown = great recruiter and people person

Barnett = gameday coach with no people skills

Brown = 0 conference championships

Barnett = 1 Big 12 championship; at least 1 Big 10 championship

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Smokey-One thing you'd have to consider is that even with Barnett, I think UT's recruiting would be pretty good. Right now, CU has the #1 recruiting class, which will go down a bit as the recruiting season picks up, but they will have a top 10 class.

I also think that UT sells itself as a program. Mack doesn't need to work too much magic to get a kid to play in Austin, with top-notch facilities, good education, good looking girls, etc.

Mack is a great recruiter, but Barnett wouldn't be too far behind, if he was at UT.

I think just about any coach would be a good recruiter at UT.

UT has a lot of points to sell to a recruit.