1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyson Chandler punches Dwight Howard in Game 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Apr 27, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is my thought/hope.

2. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I hate that it comes down to who's the latest player to keep an eye on.
    Shouldn't the refs be watching everybody all the time? i.e. "the game"
    There should not be any influence outside the lines of each individual contest.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

AKA the Kendrick Perkins role? lol ...Stay classy is the best way to handle it, IMO.

4. RESINator

RESINator Member

We all see Chandler's punch but context is key. You can see that Dwight Howard full on karate chopped/elbow dropped Chandler's left arm. Hence the double technical. Play on. Regardless we will own these scrubs with or without going against Chandler

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA will take no further action on Tyson Chandler play in which seemed to try to strike Dwight Howard, source said. Will stand as called.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/592784617620504579">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Ismail

Ismail Member

I think the refs, you know the guys that implement the NBA rules, handled the situation properly in the heat of the moment. You can disagree/think I'm silly, but retroactively suspending the guy when Dwight himself didn't seem to bothered is not something worth pursuing, in my opinion.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not a doubt that if, say, Josh Smith did what Tyson did, he's gone for Game 5.

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If not suspended, this is what I wanted. Recognition and an official statement.

How about those flops, NBA???

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Dwight got a T for one act while Tyson got a T for 2 acts. Tyson got away with 2 for 1. Seems legit NBA.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, my '99er status only means I've wasted a lot of company time. As for the exchange, both the karate chop and the punch were attacks on the opposing player and not basketball plays. Both looked retaliatory. The only 2 real differences are (1) the chop helped separate Howard from an arm that was impeding his free movement, and (2) the chop actually landed whereas the punch did not. So, on the first difference, the chop is slightly more defensible as 'warranted' but it still wasn't really warranted. On the second, the chop was definitely worse on severity because it actually landed, whereas the punch was completely ineffectual. The 3rd difference (which isn't a real difference) is that the punch was clearly a punch, which is singled out in league rules. It's more gray whether the chop should count as a punch. If it hit Chandler in the face, it would have been a punch, so why not the arm? I think it fits into the spirit of the rule. And, if you look at the larger exchange between the two, they had a lot of pushing and holding that are largely considered acceptable up until the chop -- you could say that it was Howard that escalated things. I wouldn't be shocked or outraged if Howard was suspended, so long as Chandler is too.

11. rocketman72

rocketman72 Member

Unbelievable.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not surprised the NBA isn't acting on it, but it will stand now as a precedent, so that will be interesting.

Tyson Chandler is going to hear it tomorrow.

13. CertifiedTroll

I wonder how the NBA would act if Tyson had done the same exact thing to Curry.

14. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

"I guess there is only one thing left to do....What's that?
    Win the whole ****ing thing"

2 people like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Most calls have referee judgement built in, I get that. However it seemed in the past that punches did not. It was automatic. Now with Feigen's tweet it appears punches have judgment built in. I think that is a dangerous position for the NBA to take. Asking for trouble there.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The league looked into a potential punch thrown by Tyson Chandler on Sunday against Dwight Howard and ruled no punch occurred.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/592786085790515201">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Uh........okay?:confused:

18. jk103

jk103 Member

Even our fanbase is soft.

1 person likes this.
  19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The league probably sees it as more of a forearm shiver than an actual punch. Eh, play on I guess

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

flopping will cost you 5k.. swinging at a player get's nothing. Sounds legit.