1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Hansbrough

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Joe Joe, Feb 22, 2007.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's really hard to take you seriously when you're pining for Psycho-T to become a SF. You're not helping the make-a-case for Tyler crowd when you claim such things - he's NEVER going to be a SF. He's not athletic nor quick enough to ever guard SF's in the NBA. He's a hardworker and a bruiser - a PF. Please kept it in the realm of reality!

2. Asian Sensation

I'm convinced LouisianaRocket is Roy Williams. All kidding aside I want Hansbrough to do well because he's such a hard worker but I don't know if his game and style of play will translate well in the NBA. Every halfway decent big man looks good at a storied program like North Carolina or Duke. Just ask Christian Laettner, Sheldin Williams or Eric Montross just to name a few. It's easy to look really good when you play for a winning coach, program and are surrounded by butt loads of talent so as a matter of fact it does matter because at a small school you don't have those luxuries I just mentioned. Not to say Hansbrough isn't a winner.... just saying he's reaping the benefits (program, coach, supporting cast) which I don't blame him but it also skews his value and you are overrating him tremendously but that's just my opinion.

3. LouisianaRocket

he isn't some slow slouch, the dude hustles... that is why I put IMO. and I really do think he can handle the small forward duties, IF he can keep injury free and keep the speed he does have.

He has to fast break with Lawson, one of the fastest point guards in NCAA basketball and he does a damn good job of doing it. Which is why I say he would be capable of playing SF. Many of times Hansbrough has chased down much faster players from behind and made defensive plays, so saying he can't handle this position is just not true.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You cannot put Laettner in the same category as those others. For his first eight or so years Laettner was a really good (not great) player and even an All-Star. I am pretty sure TH would love to have the career CL did (assuming he is honest with himself).

To LouisianaRocket - I don't think you understand how good Chambers was. No way TH comes close to that. I think he will be a decent pro but Chambers was a multi-year All-Star (MVP of one of them) and prolific scorer in the NBA.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This kind of post is dumb. I hate to derail this thread into a debate over whether or not Morey is over-rated or not but...

1. Scola was the euroleague mvp, but 28 other teams didn't manage to acquire him for a scrub and chump change and negotiate his buyout. You can say it was a no brainer, and you'd be right, but Morey is still the guy who got it done.
    2. Nobody is saying Morey is psychic. You never KNOW for certain how good a player will be in the NBA. Number 1 picks sometimes bust and undrafted players sometimes become all-stars. It's good enough that he picked Landry over other more heralded guys.
    3. The question isn't "Is the jury still out on Brooks?", it's this: Can you name a single player taken after Brooks that you'd rather have? Oh shucks. You can. His name is Carl Landry.
    4. I'm not going to get into the Battier/Gay deal. That's a dead horse that isn't worth beating. We all know many people hated that move and others love it. As such, I'll just agree it's questionable.
    5. Daryl Morey had no real power when he was with the Celtics. How the hell are you going to pin that on him? Meanwhile, you completely overlook the one area he may have had something to do with in Boston - the draft. Boston was drafting well for years. Jefferson, Gomes, Perkins, Delonte West....

In summary, it's fine to say he's over-rated. He may be considering many are talking him up for exec of the year. But you should still give credit where credit is due, and, overall, Morey has been very impressive thus far.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Okay. Well I guess that also explains why John Stockton doesn't count, but explain to me why Dirk Nowitski doesn't count. Also, as to this statement:

Why "us caucasians"? Have black people had a dominant white boy in the league more recently than "us caucasians"? Because it seems like everybody notices dominant players, regardless of race.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Hustling and being quick enough to guard SF is completely different. Sean May had to fast break with Felton, but that didn't mean he was suited for SF. It isn't even like Hansbrough is ahead of everyone else running. You're really mistaking hustle for ability to play SF. You're only evidence seems to be he hustles and has to fast break with Lawson - it doesn't make any sense.

If he could play SF, why wouldn't he play it in college? UNC has enough bigs to push him to the 3 spot. He's simply not quick enough to be guarding the SF spot, especially in the NBA where everyone is taller, faster, and stronger. Saying he can't handle the position is absolutely true - you're probably the only one I've ever seen to suggest he get SF duty, even amongst Carolina fans.

Bottom line: If you're going to be tall and not athletic enough to hold your own on the perimeter, you better be able to shoot lights out like Novak. You're trying to turn Tyler into something he's not - leave him at PF and work from there.

Not that I agree with him, but I think he meant the good ole fashioned "American white boy" - thus disqualifying any foreigners. I think Adam Morrison was supposed to be his savior :D

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...=ap-ncarolina-underclassmen&prov=ap&type=lgns

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fair Question....

Who will have the better NBA career: J.J. Redick or Tyler Hansbrough?

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Hansborough = Classic case of great college player with no NBA potential

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Hansborough = Classic case of ****ty college player with negative NBA potential

/fixed (as Duke fan/student)

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

What? How in the hell would Hansbrough be an unstoppable Small Forward?

13. Splash

Splash Member

There's a reason he decided to come back for his senior year. It's not just because he likes college. This is his last chance to enjoy being the star on this team, ever.

14. AXG

AXG Member

Tyler Hansbrough could be a David Lee-type player. He's undersized for the power forward but he's a hard worker and a good rebounder.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

David Lee is slightly quicker than Tyler H. I do feel that Tyler can become a decent pro because of his hard working ability,scoring,rebounding.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

David Lee is more athletic.

17. Lovemachine2000

That's quite an understatement. David Lee is a beast of an athlete when compared to Hansboro. Hansboro would be overachieving to ever average half of Lee's current stats in the NBA. Good college player though, can't help but like this guy.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's hard to imagine Hansbrough having any type of role in the NBA. His assets (post-up game, free throw shooting) become null quantities in the NBA, and his weaknesses (athleticism, defense, height) will be exploited to no end, esp at the PF spot. He's no prospect either--he'll be 24 or so by the time he plays (or sits on the bench) in his first NBA game.

Everyone who has watched him since his freshman year knows that this guy is one of the most coddled players in the history of college basketball. Yes, he has nice moves and a decent range, but what's going to happen when the players guarding him are 4 inches taller, can elevate leaps and bounds over him, and are not going to get called for ticky-tack fouls every time he tries to shoot? His case is a classic example of big fish in the small pond; the piranhas in the ocean won't abide with his shtick.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Hansboro = Mark Madsen?

20. Lovemachine2000

Even Madsen has better hops than Hansboro, but I can see Hansboro getting Madsen-esque stats if he works his butt off and hussles just as hard.