1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Hansbrough

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Joe Joe, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Lovemachine2000

Seriously! And Craig Smith is supposed to be better than Luis Scola?! Let's just hope the Web page hasn't been updated since Luis was still in Euro League.

2. LouisianaRocket

I think people underestimate Hansbrough because he is white. Us Caucasians haven't had a dominate white boy in the league since Bird( Nash doesn't qualify, since he just a mere PG in the league)

Hansbrough is by far one of the best Caucasian dunkers I ever seen. He has a sweet 15-18 foot jumpshot that goes HIGHLY unnoticed. He has GREAT court vision, and because he looks so awkward.. his speed is underrated as well. He has ability to create shots off contact, and most importantly... he can get to the foul line at WILL. Only person I have ever said that about was...well Michael Jordan.

Once Hansbrough is finish polishing his game up in the NCAA next year... He will be ready for the bigs on a given notice. Don't underestimate Mr. Tyler Hansbrough. Many have, and Many have been left in the dust. He Isn't the most talented Athlete around... but neither was Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and the list goes on about great basketball players. Those Players were smart and played smart Basketball, as does Tyler Hansbrough.

Who ever underestimates Hansbrough, is either Racist... or Doesn't realize the guy is outright clutch when the game is on the line, and his team needs him... you know, a TRUE champion at heart.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

In terms of going pro he's in an akward situation. Leave now and face the liklihood of essentially being in the same position Josh McRoberts was in last year of late first round/second round probability. Leave next year and be what...a 24/25-year-old NBA rookie?

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Are you expecting Tyler to be better than this white guy?

Tom

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UDyBSTQDwH8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UDyBSTQDwH8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

5. LouisianaRocket

that was a awesome dunk, but as far as overall skills... hell yeah he is going to be better. Hansbrough at Small Forward= Unstoppable.

6. LouisianaRocket

Scola is a 27 year old rookie.. so what?

hell Jordan wasn't great coming out his Jr. year and neither were many others before and after Jordan. and that goes to show what kind of guy Hansbrough is. He put the priorities before the money, which is rare to see in kids.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not so much - he'll be strictly a PF. If you think he can play SF, well you haven't watched him play.

Isn't it terrible what the league is coming to now? Kids get punished for wanting to get their degree! Terrible.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Glad someone said it. That's right on to me. With the exception I guess of being able to post up smaller guys on the off-chance of a switch/mismatch

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

his upside is a David Lee clone

lol at comparing tyler to jordan and other legends

10. Mango

Sorry, I don't think he will be better than Chambers.

Tyler might be better than Tom was banging people inside, but Tom was very fluid on the floor and Tyler doesn't show that.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Scola has skills. Actual basketball moves. He was NBA ready the second he stepped foot on an NBA court. Hansbrough, as we've already established, is a shaky NBA fit. He's shaping up to be a garbageman so you would think it would be very beneficial for him to gain as much experience as possible. There's a difference between banging down low against 6'7" college PF's and C's that play a perimeter game versus the NBA that features the game's biggest, strongest and most dynamic athletes in all of basketball.

....and please stop comparing him to Jordan. I've been one of the guys defending Hansbrough saying I think he can become a decent role player but this Jordan talk is ridiculous.

12. LouisianaRocket

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4nrEPFt2DE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4nrEPFt2DE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

All Day :cool:

13. Mango

Players who looked good in college, but didn't have enough Game to be stars in the NBA make many skeptical of Tyler. C Parks and D Ferry come to mind.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Is it a coincidence that both those players you listed are white? Can't help but wonder if the kid was black, would he have a better shot at making it in the NBA in some people's eyes.*

*Not calling you out or trying to insinuate anything, just something that bugs me when people judge NBA careers

15. LouisianaRocket

all decent players look good in college, but the ones that have the clutch mentality... that is the special ones.

16. LouisianaRocket

I concur!

17. Mango

First of all, I am WHITE (very WHITE). If I had something against white people achieving in the NBA, I wouldn't have been promoting Tom Chambers (very white with a mullet) in this thread.

I picked those two players for other reasons beyond being white.

1) They had tremendous publicity while in College and did fairly well at that level.

2) On a skills level, they were quite accomplished for college play, but that didn't necessarily mean they were going to succeed at the next level (NBA).

3) They played for a high profile program that probably put more focus on them than if they played at a more obscure school.

Parks played for Duke and Ferry also played for Duke. Coach K has had a strong program for years and has sent some good players to the NBA. He has also sent some players (white & black) to the NBA that underachieved.

Tyler also plays for a high profile program and that likely gathered him some extra publicity that he might not have gotten if he had played at a more obscure school.

I have looked at several NBA Mock Drafts across the Internet and haven't found any endorsing Tyler as strongly as LouisianaRocket has been doing in this thread.

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I'm not sure how valid the Cherokee Parks comparisons are, because I think Hansbrough is a much better player than Parks was. Ferry may be more accurate, but even then - he lasted twelve years in the NBA as a decent bench guy. As the no. 2 overall pick, he was a bust - but Hansbrough will go in the mid-to-late first round - I think that if he had Ferry's career that would be a good return for that pick.

I think the best comparison for Tyler may be Sean May. Both are prolific scorers who dominated at the college level, but May's height has hampered him in the pros. I think Tyler has better range and is a better athlete than May though. I think I see a little David West in him too. I think that's my best-case vs worst-case for him. David West to Sean May.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Hansbrough has the quick release and accuracy that West does along with the confidence to pop that shot all the time, then he's gonna be dynamite in the NBA, because he's bigger and stronger than West. What sets West apart is his ability to get that jumper out to 17 feet and get it off on anyone because of his quick trigger/release. And he's deadly with it. If Hansbrough is actually that good, then I'd be tempted to draft him if he was available. I just don't know if his shot is that quick or not.

20. LouisianaRocket

I wipe my butt with Mock drafts. Of course playing at a high profile school helps his publicity, but really... if he were at a small school, would everyone turn the shoulder too his skills? I think they would for the simple fact of his race, and his playing style. You can keep on polluting your mind with so called " Expert Mock Drafts"... they mean nothing, squat, zlitch, NADA! If they did, then there would be no reason for drafts, or for to even play the game of basketball for that matter.

IMO, Hansbrough is going to strive much more in the SF position, despite not having a good three point shot. He has good range on his medium ranged shots and can catch and shoot. Everyone can say what they will about Hansbrough, but they can not take away the fact that he is one of the most clutch players in college. Clutch trumps talent all day every day and twice on Sunday. Thats why the greats are great... they have the clutch ability at any given time. Now don't confuse my statements with Hansbrough being great because he isn't great. He works his tail off harder than anyone in NCAAB and possible more than half of NBA players which makes him a threat, it makes people respect him and account for him at any given time despite not being the most talented bball player to be in college basketball.

Clutch Players > Talent all day everyday and twice on Sunday