1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Ervin - Texans 4th round pick, 119th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 30, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. YES

67.6%
  2. NO

32.4%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I really liked Devontae Booker and I liked the kid from LA Tech that the Ravens took (Dixon.) However, a couple of things have made me ok with this over either:

1) Mayock said there are serious concerns about Booker's football IQ. He apparently struggled to pick up the offense in college and teams were worried about that in the pros. That doesn't sound like a good fit for OBrien.

2) The Texans offensive scheme is not going to value a 3 down back. Everything I'm reading and hearing from the coaching staff makes it sound like we are about to see a totally different offense. Similar to the Patriots with added wrinkles. We don't really need a guy who we can lineup on every play and have the threat of the run. Probably a lot of shotgun running, screens to the running back and then unusual offensive sets. They probably (gulp) see Blue as the guy they will use when they want someone to just run up the middle.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was worried about this.. I dont know who I wanted for this at RB, but we have Miller and Hunt, I wanted a Blount type person for when we have SEVEN FIRST AND GOALS in one drive and don't score....

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some of that is on the offensive line though as well.

We've had a real issue with our offensive line not moving the line of scrimmage. Seth Payne has talked about this a lot. Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks were both overrated here for that reason alone. They could be good players (Brooks for than Jones) but they never pushed the pile forward in those short yardage moments. Jeff Allen is notorious for being nasty in short yardage plays, so that should help.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Thats good.. what about Bergstrom or Martin? If we could get a guarenteed 2 yards when it was needed that would be amazing.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">talked w Bill O'Brien <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HOU?src=hash">#HOU</a><br>Using new concept &quot;Edge Position&quot;<br>Miller &amp; Ervin are candidates, both can handle 3+ roles<a href="https://t.co/Shu2OoZOZa">https://t.co/Shu2OoZOZa</a></p>&mdash; Pat Kirwan (@PatKirwanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatKirwanCBS/status/727317036205019136">May 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.battleredblog.com/2016/5...ns-will-fuller-braxton-miller-deandre-hopkins

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

After reading this I now will have to leave work early and change my underwear.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And not just different overall, but potentially week-to-week. Belicheck is famous for exploiting a team's weakness; I think that's going to be BOB's philosophy. If you can't stop the run, prepare to see Miller carry the ball 50 times. If you're slow, prepare to see Miller and Fuller running wind sprints all day, etc., etc.

That's why they never even considered Doctson or Treadwell - they don't want redundancy on offense; they want to be capable of re-configuring their attack on a weekly basis to attack teams - and you can't do that if you don't have multi-faceted weapons.

Going to be fun to watch these guys try and figure it out.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I just want to clarify that my comment was referring to the football plays and not the changed underwear. I know how y'all be tripping

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-tex...-number-is-no-longer-arian-fosters-old-number

From Tania Ganguli

Things have changed. While Ervin initially selected Arian Foster's old number, he asked for a change to No. 34, I'm told, in the interest of creating his own legacy. He might switch again after final cuts are made.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The way Tyler Ervin catches the football you would think he is a wide receiver. Catches it with ease. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/729047683407581184">May 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I love the idea of Ervin, Braxton, and Fuller on the field at the same time...There will be a huge mismatch with one of these guys, if not two.

This is where QB play is absolutely critical...we have the pieces to create nightmarish match ups against any defense, it just comes down to whether or not the QB can recognize and read the situations properly, and get the ball out timely.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Do we have the fastest group of skill position players in the league?

Fuller
    Brax
    Strong
    Miller
    Ervin
    Williams

That's 6 players 4.4 or better not to mention a TE that runs a low 4.6 (Anderson).

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man the more film I watch on this guy, the more I get excited. He has a quick stutter step while he hesitates through holes while never stopping going forward. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but he is Jamaal Charles to me.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think I'm becoming more and more excited about this dude with each passing day...I think what he can bring to the table for OB's offense is pretty underrated. He's a burner that can create a bunch of different match up issues for a defense, similar to what Braxton can bring to the table. Plus, the way he hits his holes when he runs behind his OLine... :eek: I remind myself how slow Blue was to hit the holes, and that's why Im looking forward to seeing someone burst through when given an opening.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's gonna be ****ing awesome to be able to run legitimate bubble screens and misdirection plays behind the LOS, and give Osweiler some breathing room. We have guys that can actually outrun safeties, instead of getting run down after a 10 yard head start.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

^ I see what you did there, I would post the video but I try to actively avoid watching it ever again, :mad::rolleyes:

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know this was the one pick almost everyone didnt get or like, but now it seems a lot of the writers and analysts are really liking him. Has anybody had their mind changed at all or not buying it?

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I was always high on him but what are you reading about him and where are ze links?