1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Ennis is terrible

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 27, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Is this your first season watching basketball?

True Rocket likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. Rockets took a risk on pass first guard who has good measurements. The rockets have needed someone like that for awhile, if it doesn't work then no big deal. People completely overreact on here.

True Rocket likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's an end of the bench guy who is a decent passer and not much else. What are people expecting here?

4. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Ummm. He's currently the backup PG playing 10+mins a game. People were expecting Prigs who can hit a spot up 3 versus a kid who looks scared out there.

ballplayer likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed that people are overreacting, and I'm willing to give him time. But to answer your question, I expect a D'Antoni PG to shoot above 30% from 3. :) Or, failing that, to have a favorite shooting spot, or a good rim finishing ability.

With Ennis' current skillset, I'd say his NBA ceiling is Rafer Alston. While I respect Rafer, that's not who I'd put on this squad.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

People are hating this guy because the Rockets traded their favorite headcase 2 pt jump shooting tweener and cut a 40 year old guard who looked injured and out of place doing anything but shooting a 3.

GET REAL.

He plays like a 3rd string point because he is. Get over it.

Amel likes this.
  7. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Look Prigs is 99 years old, and we know what he is. We are not in title contention this year. Let's see if the kid can grow into something. More upside with Ennis! The team made the right choice. I rather watch Ennis make mistakes now and hopefully grow into something with spot minutes than to keep the legend of Prigioni alive.. Let Prigs try to go and catch on with a contender.

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

He is only a fill in until Pev is back and ready. Be honest, Prigs is old and he was hurt. Ennis at least has youth and some potential left on his side. We just need him to be stable for a few more weeks then he goes back to the bench to develop or we trade him for something else we need. You guys are waaaay to hard on the guy.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

He shot 35% in college and 33% last year.

Hatin' on Skip-to-my-Lou. Honestly....

10. napalm06

College doesn't mean much in this conversation. Tell me Ennis doesn't look scared to take shots; he passes up tons of open looks. It's hard to watch a PG like that in a D'Antoni system.

I didn't say he has no skills at all, and I didn't hate on Rafer. No need to try and create a tangential argument. lol.

This is a topic where I'll be glad to be wrong. Just saying what I've seen so far since pre-season. Obviously coach sees something in him that I don't. Let's hope he develops.

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Tell me Ennis doesn't have a record of shooting better than 30% from 3 exactly like you asked.

Yeah.

And tell me you wouldn't take prime-Rafer as your 3rd PG. Also a career 35% 3 pt shooter. No tangents, this is a straight line. You ARE wrong and you framed it up yourself. I'm just pointing it out because I know better lol...

Yeah he looks like a young player who makes mistakes. Correct. He is. He's also meeting your requirements and frankly isn't as bad as everyone is acting.

12. napalm06

True, Ennis shot above 30% last year. I was using hyperbole but you took that very literally while you misunderstood (intentionally?) the point about Rafer.

While shooting over 30% last year how many 3's did Ennis make per game? .3 (One for every 3 games). Think that's a good fit?

You're all over the place trying to use Beasley, Prigioni, College, etc etc. Even if Ennis was a former 3 point shootout champion, the question is how is he fitting here, now?

I would take prime Rafer on this team over current Ennis. I said Rafer was Ennis' ceiling, which I think you misunderstood from the start when you said I'm hating. Either way, even prime Rafer, Rubio, Rondo, and pass-up-open-shots PGs are not the right for for a spacing-based offense in today's game. I've never been sold on Patrick Beverley. A guy has to have enough shooting ability that he has an interest in taking open shots. Look at Brewer, he flat out sucks at outside shooting, but he took the open end-of-quarter 3 pointer he got last night, and that ended up being huge.

I have to give D'Antoni credit, one thing I have really appreciated so far is his willingness to shuffle the deck. He is giving Dekker and KJ fair shots, and he's giving Ennis a fair shot. Too bad Ennis won't take a fair shot, so far. :cool:

malakas likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I think MDA/Morey liked the way he ran the PNR in college and he had a very low turnover rate. Again, we are in a position to gamble here.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

I rather we go with Gordon as ball handler and let Ennis develop during practice, we have no time to mess around ;)

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

He actually handles the ball ok. He just needs to be able to hit open shots when he gets it or else it's 4v5 on offense for us.

17. bongman

bongman Member

Would you consider the possibility that coach sees him a lot more than the few minutes we see him play?

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't mind that Morey took a flyer on a pass first PG but he opted for the wrong one. He should've went with MCW. Knowing what we know now, that MCW was on the market too, Morey should've requested for MCW. Chicago is happy with MCW. He's passing, rebounding and getting the team in their sets.

I mentioned in another thread that Morey is Smart BUT he doesn't know Basketball. But if you had a choice between Ennis and MCW, who do you choose?

19. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Ig people expected him to be a superstar Smh

20. txn

txn Member

You act like you know basketball a lot o_O You don't know if MCW is even available when we made the trade for Ennis. It is always easy to make the comment after the trade. I understand Morey made some bad decisions, but I am pretty sure he know more basketball than most of us here. :)